New enclosure for an old favorite...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by curtisstetka, Jun 16, 2006.

1. curtisstetka

curtisstetka Member

I've got a Delxue Electric Mistress that I've grown pretty fond of. But she's fat. She takes up a LOT of valuable real estate on the pedalboard. I could easily put 2 or 3 other pedals in there.

I'm considering cramming the Mistress into a smaller box. Any of you ever done something like this? If you have, I'd appreciate any pointers, suggestions, ideas, example, fishing tips, good recipes that you might offer.

Thanks!

2. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

3. curtisstetka

curtisstetka Member

Hey thanks. Cool site. I'm a DIY sort of guy so I would probably just buy a box from Small Bear but that FX Doctor guy has some other neat stuff happening. His prices for a rehousing are very reasonable.

I'll have to measure the circuit board on the Mistress. Even that is pretty large. But there's still tons of empty space inside that thing. I have been wracking my feeble brain for a while now trying to figure out how to put my pedalboard back together and keep that big freaking thing. New box may be the only solution.

4. burningyen

burningyen Gold Supporting Member

I asked Ron Neely if it was possible to rebox a DEM, and he said no (circuit boards too big). If you're able to do it, I'd be very interested to hear it.

5. basscracker

basscracker Guest

maybe dan-o-guitar will pop in,he just did a EH fequincy analyzer there're pics of it on HC.his website below.
    http://www.beavisaudio.com/

6. burningyen

Also, I notice that the FX Doctor says the large EH pedals can't be rehoused.

7. curtisstetka

curtisstetka Member

Well, I just measured things inside the Electric Mistress. The circuit board itself measures 4" by 4 3/4". The enclosure is 6 3/4" by 8".

I already removed the transformer and replaced with a jack so I can use an external wall wart. That eliminated the horrible hum I was getting (even when bypassed).

If I can find a tall enough enclosure, I can put the switch and such on top of the board. I think I'll also add an LED and make the Filter Matrix footswitchable also. I'll let my kids paint the box for me too. This is going to be a fun project!

8. burningyen

Wow, you must have a really old DEM. Mine comes with a jack and a wall wart. But please do keep us posted. I'd be willing to pay for a rehousing.

9. bduguay

bduguay Member

I have one too and I plan to re-do it using a smaller PCB and put in a Hammond 1590BB box. There's another dude on another forum who wants me to do this for him too. If all goes well, I'd be open to doing others as well.
    B.

10. curtisstetka

curtisstetka Member

Smaller PCB, eh? Well, that would be the best overall - especially if it fits in a BB sized box. Are you etching the new PCB yourself or did you find one somewhere? If the latter, help a brother out and please tell me where. I'd LOVE to cram the Mistress into a BB enclosure.

11. bduguay

bduguay Member

12. burningyen

13. curtisstetka

curtisstetka Member

I have none. Sorry. Been busy with other stuff. I was finally able to jam together my pedalboard in such a way that the DEM fits (although it leaves NO room for anything additional). Plus, I'm sort of entertaining the notion of parting ways with my Mistress. Still haven't decided on that. Either way, I don't want to sink more money into it at this point.

14. g.griffith

g.griffith Member

I thought about rehousing a DEM, but yeah...the board is just too big. Not quite worth the effort to rebox to save so little... Then again, if I were going to rebox it, I'd install and LED and fix the volume drop...

My board is kind of big with a second tier, so to save a lot of space, I mounted the DEM underneath the tier and attached it to a Loooper. That's one solution, if you don't need to fiddle with the settings all the time...