New Epi Day (thought just posting NED looked odd)

FLYING V 83

Gibson Geezer
Ordered a white Epi LP Custom the night of the 18th online for $679 w/free shipping.
Said expected ship date was 2/28. Then an email saying guitar would ship in 9 days.
Yesterday's email said it was shipping then. Today's email said it's at the store, come & get it!

Guy brings out the box, the guitar's wrapped in multiple layers of bubble wrap and packed tight with brown paper, but...NOT in an Epiphone box and no papers at all.
Still had all the plastics covered, but immediately I said what's this, a return?
Nope, it's a floor/demo model I was told. They only have 47 nationwide and they sent me one from MA which was the closest store with one.

Obviously, I inspected it thoroughly and found two 1/2" scratches on the back horn. I asked for the manager, expressed my disappointment that I didn't get a "new" guitar in box with tags & papers.
I had played it, liked it, but this was a matter of bait & switch IMO. She agreed & said I could refuse it and wait for a new boxed one. I said "knock a $100 off for the deception and I'll take it, as long as the 45 day & Epi warranties apply as new. She agreed and I got it for $579.

Just got home shots, still with clear plastic and factory strings.

9 lbs on my bathroom scale, feels solid like an LP should. I'll check out the innards tomorrow.
Actually like the Probuckers, the pots have decent tapers, and fretwork is pretty darn good for a sub-$600 guitar. Real ebony board, not dyed rosewood or Richlite. Tuners feel solid, I'll add tulip tips (my preferred look) and Straploks, maybe some silver insert knobs & pointers.
She's a keeper out of the box, no major flaws and could be taken to the gig as is.
Says a lot for any new instrument. :aok

EDIT: after about an hour's play I found no fret buzz, action is pretty much where I like it, neck is slightly thinner than my 50s Traditional but feels nice. My Gibson Black Beauty has a slim taper neck, this Epi's definitely beefier. Switch is smooth. Gonna change out the pots/caps but for now I like the pups.
I'll be happy to have this share the gigs with my Black Beauty.

Last edited:

zombiwoof

Silver Supporting Member
Ordered a white Epi LP Custom the night of the 18th online for $679 w/free shipping.
Said expected ship date was 2/28. Then an email saying guitar would ship in 9 days.
Yesterday's email said it was shipping then. Today's email said it's at the store, come & get it!

Guy brings out the box, the guitar's wrapped in multiple layers of bubble wrap and packed tight with brown paper, but...NOT in an Epiphone box and no papers at all.
Still had all the plastics covered, but immediately I said what's this, a return?
Nope, it's a floor/demo model I was told. They only have 47 nationwide and they sent me one from MA which was the closest store with one.

Obviously, I inspected it thoroughly and found two 1/2" scratches on the back horn. I asked for the manager, expressed my disappointment that I didn't get a "new" guitar in box with tags & papers.
I had played it, liked it, but this was a matter of bait & switch IMO. She agreed & said I could refuse it and wait for a new boxed one. I said "knock a $100 off for the deception and I'll take it, as long as the 45 day & Epi warranties apply as new. She agreed and I got it for $579.

Just got home shots, still with clear plastic and factory strings.

9 lbs on my bathroom scale, feels solid like an LP should. I'll check out the innards tomorrow.
Actually like the Probuckers, the pots have decent tapers, and fretwork is pretty darn good for a sub-$600 guitar. Real ebony board, not dyed rosewood or Richlite. Tuners feel solid, I'll add tulip tips (my preferred look) and Straploks, maybe some silver insert knobs & pointers.
She's a keeper out of the box, no major flaws and could be taken to the gig as is.
Says a lot for any new instrument. :aok

EDIT: after about an hour's play I found no fret buzz, action is pretty much where I like it, neck is slightly thinner than my 50s Traditional but feels nice. My Gibson Black Beauty has a slim taper neck, this Epi's definitely beefier. Switch is smooth. Gonna change out the pots/caps but for now I like the pups.
I'll be happy to have this share the gigs with my Black Beauty.
I thought the new LP's already have CTS pots?.
Al

zombiwoof

Silver Supporting Member
You made me look :)
Yup, all 4 pots are 500k CTS, Orange Drop caps, pups have black/red connectors on them, pots have corresponding pre-soldered receptors. Very neat & tidy inside.
The big question is are those CTS pots metric or U.S. spec?. They make both types in the full size pots, and the imports I would think would still use metric. Metric would have about 5.9mm shaft diameter, regular spec is 6.3mm diam. (as I recall).
Al

FLYING V 83

Gibson Geezer
Probably metric, I just swapped knobs with the silver face tophats from my Epi 339Pro & they fit fine. The pots look 'shallower' than what I buy from TAOT, but they're stamped CTS.

soulman969

A GC purchase I presume? o_O

I don't fault them for using existing inventory to avoid a back order delay but dammit be honest about it, tell the buyer it's a demo, and adjust the price without having to be asked.

It's good that you were able to negotiate the price down $100. You paid for new but you got a floor demo that by all rights should have been discounted at least that much anyway.

It's a sharp looking LP. Congrats.

Last edited:

lizardking

Silver Supporting Member
Congrats, cool guitar. I played a friend's white Gibson LP custom one time cause I always thought they looked so cool. It was the heaviest guitar I've ever come across in my life. True to life when people use that "boat anchor" term, lol.

singlecutarmy

Well I already have two epi LP customs but I don't have a white one and now I'm jealous.

Congrats, cool guitar. I played a friend's white Gibson LP custom one time cause I always thought they looked so cool. It was the heaviest guitar I've ever come across in my life. True to life when people use that "boat anchor" term, lol.
My epi black beauty is at least 10.5, I'm glad I'm a bedroom player, I would not take that on stage lmao.