New ES-335 Question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Bunther, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Bunther

Bunther Member

I have a new Gibson Mempis 335 from Sweetwater. Everything seems perfect except beginning at the 14th fret, and continuing up the fretboard, the G string does not sustain as it sustains up through the 13th fret. Also, the neighbor B and D strings do sustain at the 14th fret. I raised the bridge a little, but it does not cure the issue. I am not impressed with the local techs enough to entrust my first Gibson purchase since 1973. Other than a problem with the pre-slotted Tonepros AVR-II bridge, what might cause the problem? What is the most likely cause?

Thanks, Bunther

2. FallsRockShop

FallsRockShop Member

Do you have a fret rocker? Your 14th fret may be low relative to the 15th on up. You may also have a high fret somewhere above the 15th.

Can you tell if the string is seated well in the saddle slot on the bridge? Sometimes some debris can get between the string and the saddle and cause trouble.

How's the break action over the saddles? Is the stop tail low enough to ensure a proper break? Are you getting excess vibration past the saddle toward to the stop?

These are some questions I would ask myself to start the diagnosis process.