New EV 12Ls

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by le_plastique, Nov 21, 2005.

1. le_plastique

le_plastique Member

Why do the new EV's cost so much? 345 bucks for a 12 that isn't alnico? Am I missing something? By the way, I apologize if I type anything wrong. I'm a tad tipsy. That said, I'm going to hit the sack.

2. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Member

they were always expensive but on the other hand they are the BEST speakers in the world if you are looking for that kind of sound (SUPER CLEAN & DETAILED) I didn't knew they have reissued them...

3. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

The scary thing is that EV is changing the 12Ls thanks to good 'ole Zakk Wylde (as if this guys name hasn't been on enough stuff already :rolleyes: ). Apparently the new ones are supposed to handle even more wattage than the older ones (the older ones never broke up, these new ones definitely won't EVER break up :eek: ).

4. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

Was that a street price? I know that EVs price list is usually way out of line with street prices.

I'm glad to see the EV 12L reissued. Its a great speaker! Nothing makes the low notes of a tele pop like a 12L. There are only three things wrong with it. Too heavy, too bright and too beamy. Maybe Ted Weber can do an improved clone?

Bob

5. le_plastique

le_plastique Member

Aren't his Michigans clones of EVs? Also, how do you move threads? Could I get this sucker moved to the amp forum?

6. theelectic

theelectic Guest

If you want that kind of loud clean powerful tone on the cheap, try the 12" Eminence Delta Pro.

7. KLB

KLB Member

Fuchs FAT-S1

8. le_plastique

le_plastique Member

But no one has any idea why the hell this thing is 345 bucks? Does it's driver have diamonds in it or something?

9. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

It's very simple

1) Zakk Wylde is whoring it out like he does every other piece of gear in existence. Stick a musicians name on something and watch the price skyrocket. Sad, but true.

2) It's EV. The 12L has been discontinued for a while, so a modified comeback they figure will draw in big bucks.

10. jcs

jcs Member

i have a pair of ev12l series 2, i dont hear the 'too bright-beamy' thing with these..

are there several versions of the ev12l?

anyway the incredible bottom end and clarity of these speakers is great,imo..

mine are from around 1978 and were played a lot in a gallien krueger amp(where they still are),it is a semi open back plywood cab and unfortunately VERY heavy, sheesh....

11. CryBaby

CryBaby Member

Anyone, who have tested Eminence Delta Pro ?

Aren't they supposed to be, some sort of EV12L-clone ?

12. steve10358

steve10358 Supporting Member

Last I heard- boogie had been working on an EV replacement several years ago. Wonder if they are close?

Also- as much as I love Zakk- he is a Cartoon character.

13. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

As much as I would like to try these "new" EV speakers, I can buy the Eminence Delta Pro for $160.00 (CAN) each. I would CERTAINLY give those a try before spending (???) (CAN) on the Black Label EV speakers. :confused:

Chuck

14. scottl

scottl Member

I have a brand spanking new sample EVM12L direct from Electro Voice (courtesy of Andy Fuchs)

The speaker does not say Black Label on it. It has no reference to Zakk. I says EVM12L classic or something like that.

I'll snap some pics later. I have not had a chance to install it yet.

Scott

15. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

Cool! :)

Please let us know how it sounds. Clips?

Thanks

Chuck

16. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    In regards to wattage, I have 20 EVM12L's and the later ones do say 300 watts on them. I have four of them in a BagEnd 412, that is 1,200 watts capacity:NUTS I wouldn't want to be in front of it, if that kind of wattage was pumped into it.

I personally dig the EVM12L's, I find that they are great with holding the low end up and keeping your tone from becoming too muddy/fuzzy when your cranking the gain.

For clean guitar tones, the Alnico Blue is the go to for me though. So it just depends on what tone you are going for, can you say speaker cabinet/amp switcher.

TheGrooveking

17. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Is it a 200w or 300w speaker? The original 200w design is generally preferred...

18. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    In regards to the price, I am sure they will be cheaper in the stores. Before they quit making them, they were selling new for around $199.

TheGrooveking

19. scottl

scottl Member

200 watts. Supposedly it is an accurate reproduction of the desireable ones!

Scott

20. Ayan

Ayan Member

I'm afraid not, Scott, it's the 300W version. Read all about it here:

http://www.evm12lblacklabel.com/

Gil