New Eventide Blackhole Reverb pedal

7thString

I would love some sort of Space reissue. Bought a used one recently that had the dreaded memory chip failure issue, resulting in severe crackle in the wet signal. I don't think the H9 suffers from this same issue (or not old enough to tell yet) but the H9 has the other issue of lacking a bunch of knobs..

derekeugene

Supporting Member
That's awesome on its own, but can they really count on a huge amount of people buying these over an H9 with the Blackhole algo? They just had it on sale for $29 a little bit ago.

As an H9 Max fanboy, I'm bummed it not something new.

dawgs2323

Supporting Member
Thing is, you can find as-new H9 cores for $275-$300... The max can be had sub $500 if you shop around. If this had a second algo with it, like hall or plate, it'd be well worth it. Something similar to the M7....

dmbandtimmy

When will they update the H9? I hate paying that much for a 10 year old pedal that will likely get a refresh soon.

martijn

Yes, it's time for a new algorithm, as nothing has been released around the time of Summer NAMM...

dmbandtimmy

This is my concern..... I want to buy an H9 MAX again, but it has to be due for an overhaul soon!?!?!?

Exactly and that would be my luck. I usually buy a pedal and then version 2 comes out just months later.

I realize algorithms get updated, but I would think they would come out with a new pedal interface etc.

tofudoom

I think Eventide is in kind of a weird place in regards to new digital effects. If they were to put out a totally new digital pedal, people would expect them to put the algo on the H9--which would obviously cannibalize any sales they would hope to make of the new pedal. Plus, how could they justify a new several hundred dollar pedal if people would just be able to get the same algo on the H9?

The Rose was different since it has significant analog components. However, it seems to me that it didn't sell very well (despite being an AWESOME delay).

So, where do they go from here? Refresh the H9 or Factor line? That would annoy everyone who already owns those pedals.

That said, this standalone Blackhole pedal does interest me, because I'm not going to buy a Space or H9 again, but I love the Blackhole reverb.

earwax

I think Eventide is in kind of a weird place in regards to new digital effects. If they were to put out a totally new digital pedal, people would expect them to put the algo on the H9--which would obviously cannibalize any sales they would hope to make of the new pedal. Plus, how could they justify a new several hundred dollar pedal if people would just be able to get the same algo on the H9?

The Rose was different since it has significant analog components. However, it seems to me that it didn't sell very well (despite being an AWESOME delay).

So, where do they go from here? Refresh the H9 or Factor line? That would annoy everyone who already owns those pedals.

That said, this standalone Blackhole pedal does interest me, because I'm not going to buy a Space or H9 again, but I love the Blackhole reverb.
I’d say refresh the factor lineup to run two algorithms at once and make them all with the bigger Space screen. If you can make them analog dry through wherever possible that would be great. Also would be nice if the time factor could do series delay instead of just parallel. Hopefully an new redesign would not include the ribbon cord issue.

I wouldn’t mind an H9 that had more knobs so that it wouldn’t by so cumbersome to use without the app.

apalazzolo

Supporting Member
I think the next big release will be like an Eclipse in a Factor pedal form factor (with control knobs on the front) ... the H18. And then they'll add specific and more powerful algos for it every year, like they do with the H9. Double the processing power in one pedal is an issue. The H9 already takes 500ma. Are there any popular power supplies right now that can deliver 1000 ma?

Right now they seem pretty busy massaging the hardware algos into plugins. This seem like the record companies re-releasing hit records on CD. They rode that horse for about a decade IIRC.

drbob1

Silver Supporting Member
I think the next big release will be like an Eclipse in a Factor pedal form factor (with control knobs on the front) ... the H18. And then they'll add specific and more powerful algos for it every year, like they do with the H9. Double the processing power in one pedal is an issue. The H9 already takes 500ma. Are there any popular power supplies right now that can deliver 1000 ma?

Right now they seem pretty busy massaging the hardware algos into plugins. This seem like the record companies re-releasing hit records on CD. They rode that horse for about a decade IIRC.
The H9 is using 7 year old tech. Moore's law says that a modern chip should be capable of 8 times the power or 1/8th the current draw, or some combination. Which means it should be possible to power the H18 at the same 500 mA.

Trending Topics