New Eventide Blackhole Reverb pedal

tofudoom

Hey folks, you have no idea how good it is to be able to talk about this finally. Happy to answer any questions.
I'm looking forward to this pedal! It looks like the specs indicate that it can do both MIDI in/out over TRS. Is that right?

ciclosonico

I really like this stylish, smaller look/form factor, imho it could be great for the Rose too.

PS:
@sinasl1 Pete, you're incredible. I love my H9, got the Blackhole plugin, and now I want this new pedal too :facepalm

How would one compare this against the Mercury 7?
Briefly, just 3 completely different algorithms between the Black Hole and the M7. Audio quality is probably comparable.

I have and love the Mercury7 but it doesn't do anything like reverse-ey or white noise/shift kind of sounds like the kind Leon gets when he hits a button. The Mercury7 does small to huge, Blade Runner-inspired BUT conventionally shaped reverbs. The Black Hole does more weird stuff, even if it can sound conventional. There may be some overlap in the complexity of the modulated sounds (I hear some), but it's probably likely that it's implemented differently in the algorithms.

Last edited:

BenTobith

Symmetrically Hard Clipped
Gold Supporting Member
Briefly, just 3 completely different algorithms between the Black Hole and the M7. Audio quality is probably comparable.

I have and love the Mercury7 but it doesn't do anything like reverse, white noise/shift kind of sounds like the kind Leon gets when he hits a button. The Mercury7 does small to huge, Blade Runner-inspired BUT conventionally shaped reverbs. The Black Hole does more weird stuff, even if it can sound conventional. There may be some overlap in the complexity of the modulated sounds (I hear some), but it's probably likely that it's implemented differently in the algorithms.
Interesting. I wonder what the noise floor is like? The best part of the Mercury 7, other than the sound, is how silent it is when you switch it on. Unlike the Ventris, for example.

Will Little

Supporting Member
That Mike Hermans demo was great.
I really don't need another reverb pedal. I have 4 (including 2 Mercury 7s) but this thing has a lot of stuff that I would certainly use. (while still keeping both my Mercury 7s)

atallen

I'm looking forward to this pedal! It looks like the specs indicate that it can do both MIDI in/out over TRS. Is that right?
Yep, looks like MIDI is via TRS using the EXP jack.

EXP1/4" TRS / Expression pedal, Aux Switch or MIDI I/O

timsternfeld

With an appropriate adapter box the Blackhole can transmit and receive MIDI (it won't work with just a cable adapter) but it isn't set up to transmit anything over TRS in its current form; we didn't want to go too far into the configuration jungle with MIDI mappings etc.

tofudoom

With an appropriate adapter box the Blackhole can transmit and receive MIDI (it won't work with just a cable adapter) but it isn't set up to transmit anything over TRS in its current form; we didn't want to go too far into the configuration jungle with MIDI mappings etc.
Cool! I just need it to do MIDI thru using a 5-pin to TRS MIDI box and it sounds like it does. Thanks!

jnepo1

Silver Supporting Member
Why not both? I’ve got the M7 and love it. But have been looking for something else to have with too.

what memory chip issue?
Why would I want both when the Mercury 7 does it already. Plus you can add the Meris Multi Switch to easily access other parameters.

Trending Topics