New Eventide Blackhole Reverb pedal

Jonathan

Gold Supporting Member
So MIDI and expression pedal share the same input jack? Am I missing something - how would you use both?

Jerrod

Silver Supporting Member
I'm asking how would you use both MIDI and an expression pedal when they share the same input jack.
There are likely multiple ways to accomplish it, but something like MIDI Baby 3 can take an expression pedal output and send it, along with MIDI messages, into that jack.

yberwaffe

Send CC messages over MIDI
You need a MIDI controller that converts the output voltage from the expression pedal to CC messages, sent into the pedal via the MIDI port.
You can't use both at the same time pluggen into the single TRS jack.

earwax

Why would I want both when the Mercury 7 does it already. Plus you can add the Meris Multi Switch to easily access other parameters.
Id rather have five onboard presets than add a multiswitch. I like the Blackhole algorithm more than I like Cathedra but I like Ultraplate. The blackhole algo has predelay that has a lot wider range then Meris and can do that delay thing Andy showed on preset 2 in his demo. as you can see I am a little confused on which one I like better at this point.

guitarman92

Id rather have five onboard presets than add a multiswitch. I like the Blackhole algorithm more than I like Cathedra but I like Ultraplate. The blackhole algo has predelay that has a lot wider range then Meris and can do that delay thing Andy showed on preset 2 in his demo. as you can see I am a little confused on which one I like better at this point.
Get both. Verb into verb is highly underrated.

Jonathan

Gold Supporting Member
There are likely multiple ways to accomplish it, but something like MIDI Baby 3 can take an expression pedal output and send it, along with MIDI messages, into that jack.
I looked up the MIDI Baby 3, but I guess I'm just not getting this approach.

I have a Mastermind PBC that I send MIDI messages from, and a Source Audio EXP pedal. I'm not a pro at this stuff, but I don't see how I'm going to be able to use both into that input.

With my Ventris, it's cake - MIDI cable goes in a MIDI input, EXP goes in an EXP input. If I need to buy a $100-$150 3rd party interface to get that basic functionality here that really puts a damper on my interest.

I could be missing a simple solution here - I've just never encountered this before.

Jerrod

Silver Supporting Member
I looked up the MIDI Baby 3, but I guess I'm just not getting this approach.

I have a Mastermind PBC that I send MIDI messages from, and a Source Audio EXP pedal. I'm not a pro at this stuff, but I don't see how I'm going to be able to use both into that input.

With my Ventris, it's cake - MIDI cable goes in a MIDI input, EXP goes in an EXP input. If I need to buy a $100-$150 3rd party interface to get that basic functionality here that really puts a damper on my interest.

I could be missing a simple solution here - I've just never encountered this before.
Dude. The device you own has an expression pedal input. Plug the expression pedal into your Mastermind. Plug your Mastermind MIDI Out into the Blackhole MIDI input with the appropriate cable and adapter. Configure your Mastermind to send the EXP signal as MIDI on the same channel as any other PC/CC messages you're sending to the Blackhole. You're gonna have to read the Mastermind manual.

tofudoom

Dude. The device you own has an expression pedal input. Plug the expression pedal into your Mastermind. Plug your Mastermind MIDI Out into the Blackhole MIDI input with the appropriate cable and adapter. Configure your Mastermind to send the EXP signal as MIDI on the same channel as any other PC/CC messages you're sending to the Blackhole. You're gonna have to read the Mastermind manual.

Wow, that's a lot of jacks. But, yes @Jonathan, the nice thing about MIDI controllers with expression inputs is that you can usually program them to control multiple pedals at the same time with a single expression pedal. I'm not sure about yours, but it looks pretty comprehensive, so I'd be surprised if this wasn't an option.

teofilrocks

Supporting Member
Is this just the same blackhole algorithm in a standalone pedal? so basically nothing new?
On the algorithm side, nope.

Crazy to think that the Blackhole algorithm first came out with the DSP4000 processor in 1994. 26 years ago! Carried thru to the H8000. Simplified slightly for the Eclipse’s lower DSP, as well as the Space pedal and a plug-in. And now a dedicated pedal.

They’ve certainly gotten a lot of miles out of it. And why not, it’s a great algorithm. But “new” it is definitely not.

Jonathan

Gold Supporting Member

Thanks, Jerrod! Yes - I'm sort of a newb with this stuff (I just got the PBC two weeks ago). I figured I was just the idiot on this one. ;)

dawgs2323

Supporting Member
Why would I want both when the Mercury 7 does it already. Plus you can add the Meris Multi Switch to easily access other parameters.
I’ve had both the H9 and M7..... there is stuff Blackhole can do that the M7 can’t and vice versa.... for me, I wanted modulation similar to the 80’s mode on a Flint. The M7 had too much movement that I couldn’t adjust out. Blackhole can do it better than the Flint in some aspects. It’s a really versatile algorithm!

timsternfeld

Doe this have analog dry through? Space and the Factor pedals didn't, so I'm guessing not.

EDIT: I see someone above already asked this question, but it hasn't been answered yet.
No analog dry through, for a few reasons. Primarily, because it would make it impossible to get the delay really short (you would have to do a few ms at minimum to match to the codec). Secondarily, and as you noted, it lets us fundamentally maintain the algo design from the H9 and Space.

Trending Topics