New Eventide Blackhole Reverb pedal

timsternfeld

Thanks for the info. Another question: Does it sum to mono?
That's what I'm here for (and the adulation). Roughly like reverb in real life, the input sums to mono before the effect. The stereo dry signal is maintained though, and the stereo image of the reverb itself is pretty great (IMHO).

MogwaiBoy

As long as the dry signal remains "true stereo", carrying through all the stereo modulation from effects before it, that's all good.

Been hammering the Blackhole plugin exclusively for guitar tracks and would love to be able to get one on the pedalboard for actual use with the band.

No analog-dry takes a little shine off, though. So in buffered/trails bypass, is the signal converted to digital even when bypassed?

sunburster

That's what I'm here for (and the adulation). Roughly like reverb in real life, the input sums to mono before the effect. The stereo dry signal is maintained though, and the stereo image of the reverb itself is pretty great (IMHO).
Sorry for not being clear, but I was asking about the output summing to mono, like on the Neunaber Immerse MKII (and unlike on the Big Sky). In other words, if my pedalboard is wired in stereo and I have the Blackhole at the end, if the output sums to mono I could optionally send the output in mono to a single amp and it would still sound good. Judging from what you wrote, should I take it that the output does not sum to mono?

Last edited:

earwax

Sounds really good. I'll stick with the Blackhole algorithm on the Zoom CDR for now but I might check one out once they start showing up used.
A zoom cdr just showed up in my mailbox today and I’ve only played it a bit. Didn’t seem like the SpaceHole algorithm came close to what the Blackhole can do. Maybe I need more time with it. I was interested in the CDR for some of the strange ambient sounds I have seen other people get out of it. Hopefully I can find some magic in it.

yberwaffe

Can the programming utility (windows version) be used over rtpMIDI or does it recuire direct USB connection ?

Reason for the question is that I have bought a mioXM that shall be the main hub/router for my new pedalboard.

7thString

what memory chip issue?
There's a few posts about it across the Eventide forums - seems to happen to all the factor pedals after around ~ 8-10 years of use.. Don't think the H9 suffers from it though it may not be old enough yet. I had a Space with this issue a few weeks ago.

Purple_Plexi

The only thing this is missing is some roses on the front to be another Eventide masterpiece in terms of design. I don't see how you can f up a black pedal like this. Looks cheap.

timsternfeld

Sorry for not being clear, but I was asking about the output summing to mono, like on the Neunaber Immerse MKII (and unlike on the Big Sky). In other words, if my pedalboard is wired in stereo and I have the Blackhole at the end, if the output sums to mono I could optionally send the output in mono to a single amp and it would still sound good. Judging from what you wrote, should I take it that the output does not sum to mono?
We'll have to take that as a bipartisan misunderstanding.

If you have a stereo input and a mono output, the dry signal is the sum of the two input signals. Since the algorithm itself is always driven from the summed input signals, I think this does what you're trying to have it do. Make sure you're plugged into Output 1.

One thing to note, this setup is not going to work very well with relay bypass (or if the power is cut), since we can't sum when we aren't in the circuit.

timsternfeld

Can the programming utility (windows version) be used over rtpMIDI or does it recuire direct USB connection ?

Reason for the question is that I have bought a mioXM that shall be the main hub/router for my new pedalboard.
Oh man, I have no idea about rtpMIDI. If it ends up looking like a MIDI port on the host computer (and has the right name etc) it might be pretty reasonable to get working, but I'll have to talk to our EDM guru because I don't think anyone has tried it.

At the very least, if it works like a USB MIDI host port facing the Blackhole, you should be able to run the standard MIDI interface (control changes and program changes).

flyonthewall150

Supporting Member
I had an H9 and tbh I didn’t really think the blackhole setting was anything special. Just sounded like a typical bland hall reverb with a few extra controls. Couldn’t get it to do modulated reverb the way I like it to sound.

rochell59

Supporting Member
The Blackhole plugin is up there with Valhalla and FabFilter in the sound design and film industry. It's probably been in hundreds of movie trailers and feature films.

Crazy that it's now in a pedal platform.

Valhalla, where you at?

earwax

The Blackhole plugin is up there with Valhalla and FabFilter in the sound design and film industry. It's probably been in hundreds of movie trailers and feature films.

Crazy that it's now in a pedal platform.

Valhalla, where you at?
True! I believe the Meris pedal was inspired by Ridley Scott film and the Eventide algorithm has actually been used in a Ridley Scott film. I do love the M7 so not trying to slight it. Just showing Eventide some respect.

Trending Topics