New Eventide Blackhole Reverb pedal

yberwaffe

Oh man, I have no idea about rtpMIDI. If it ends up looking like a MIDI port on the host computer (and has the right name etc) it might be pretty reasonable to get working, but I'll have to talk to our EDM guru because I don't think anyone has tried it.

At the very least, if it works like a USB MIDI host port facing the Blackhole, you should be able to run the standard MIDI interface (control changes and program changes).
Of course it will respond to program changes, it wouldn't be a MIDI device otherwise.

What I want to know is if the programming utility can talk to the pedal over rtpmidi, or at least conventional 5-pin MIDI, or if the programming utility communicates directly via USB and uses a propriatery protocol as some pedal manufacturers do their programming.

It's not very practical to mess around with cables everytime something needs to be adjusted.

timsternfeld

Of course it will respond to program changes, it wouldn't be a MIDI device otherwise.

What I want to know is if the programming utility can talk to the pedal over rtpmidi, or at least conventional 5-pin MIDI, or if the programming utility communicates directly via USB and uses a propriatery protocol as some pedal manufacturers do their programming.

It's not very practical to mess around with cables everytime something needs to be adjusted.
i agree on the latter.

EDM operates over the MIDI interface (as opposed to over a proprietary port) for remote control, so as long as the Blackhole shows up correctly on the host computer it should work correctly for remote control. I've ordered a mioXM so we should be able to test this on our end.

The software update does use a proprietary protocol, so unless you're directly connected by USB or over a hub, that won't work. However, even though it's impossible to predict the future, the Blackhole so far has been pretty rock solid in testing, so we anticipate that (after the first one you can do on purchase because one of our beta testers found a really obscure bug after we shipped that we wanted to fix) updates for bug fixes should be rare. Feature updates might be available, pending people suggesting really good features we missed, but those won't be required so if you're happy with the pedal, no need to update there either if it's too much of a pain.

ilyslue2

I love the Blackhole algo. I use the app. I also had the space pedal, but it had too many knobs for live use.....this looks perfect. Does it take line levels like the space?

Joe Manganese

Yeah, it looks like some folks are just discovering the Blackhole algo for the very first time. So, perhaps this will help bring some more attention to all of Eventide's wild effects.
I listened to the blackhole reverb back in 2016 when i purchased in the end an empress reverb. Its ghost mode is way much more useable than the blackhole. Then i got a Neunaber and a Bigsky. I am not going to spend over 500 $ for a single algorithm already available in other units (and much more usable). Beside, did you notice the input stereo requires a TRS splitter.

Tabor

Supporting Member
I am not going to spend over 500 $ for a single algorithm already available in other units (and much more usable). Beside, did you notice the input stereo requires a TRS splitter.
I’m confused: which pedal is over $500 for a single algorithm already available in other units and requires a TRS for stereo?

toasterdude

I looked up the MIDI Baby 3, but I guess I'm just not getting this approach.

I have a Mastermind PBC that I send MIDI messages from, and a Source Audio EXP pedal. I'm not a pro at this stuff, but I don't see how I'm going to be able to use both into that input.

With my Ventris, it's cake - MIDI cable goes in a MIDI input, EXP goes in an EXP input. If I need to buy a $100-$150 3rd party interface to get that basic functionality here that really puts a damper on my interest.

I could be missing a simple solution here - I've just never encountered this before.
Plug the expression pedal into RJM?

Blix

Supporting Member
I listened to the blackhole reverb back in 2016 when i purchased in the end an empress reverb. Its ghost mode is way much more useable than the blackhole. Then i got a Neunaber and a Bigsky. I am not going to spend over 500 $ for a single algorithm already available in other units (and much more usable). Beside, did you notice the input stereo requires a TRS splitter.
It's $279.

sunburster

Cloud and Blackhole sound quite distinct to me. I haven't heard anyone get one to really sound like the other. And nothing by Neunaber sounds like Blackhole either.

gjhardwick

The only thing this is missing is some roses on the front to be another Eventide masterpiece in terms of design. I don't see how you can f up a black pedal like this. Looks cheap.
The Rose looks hideous and it's surprising to me that it was approved for production like that. With this one, poor design execution. I think Eventide could've done better. That's my opinion. Do you disagree?
The form factor and build quality of the Blackhole is pretty good IMO - i'm holding one in my hand right now.

Completely agree that the Rose is, ummm, somewhat 'unique' in it's visual aesthetic though. I'm hoping that they release a v2 of the Rose using the same FF as the Blackhole...

Jerrod

Silver Supporting Member
The Rose looks hideous and it's surprising to me that it was approved for production like that. With this one, poor design execution. I think Eventide could've done better. That's my opinion. Do you disagree?
I’ve read the Rose thread and understand that there are many that don’t like it.

I own a Rose, and it’s one of my favorite pedals ever. It’s outstanding.

The Rose may be polarizing, but I don’t believe its aesthetics are objectively bad.

I believe the hue and cry are just as overblown now as I did when the pedal was released.

I think the nonstop bitching about it is just as stupid as those who feel the need to announce their dislike of Tyler’s headstock in every Tyler thread.

As for whether they could have done better, I think the answer is clearly “yes”. They would sell more of these if people weren’t fussing over the appearance.

Trending Topics