• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

New Fender 2008 American Standard Strats - Amazing!!!

Jazzgear

Silver Supporting Member
Absolutely perfectly built instrument....and the sound is amazing. I don't know how they did it, but the pickups are nearly noiseless....and have that spank and chime of a great strat.

The neck is a work of art, rolled edges, perfectly dressed frets...etc.

Quite honestly, there is no reason to spend nearly $2k for a Suhr Pro Series, when you can spend less than half that on an equally well made Fender (no Offense to Suhr and it's owners...but this is fact, I've owned several myself)

If Fender can keep up this quality, then I think they've hit a homerun with the new American series strats.

neastguy

Silver Supporting Member
just goes to shows, everyone is different... I played 3 of em and didnt really care for em.... I bought a cheaper mim instead.....

Blue4Now

Gold Supporting Member
I find the new American Strats to be somewhat hit or miss not unlike the older Amercian Series strats. My buddy owns a small guitar sshop and is a Fender dealler. They just got in 5 new Ametican Standards and two are really nice, the eother 3 were quite heavy and nothing to write home about.

Thwap

Likely Baked
Platinum Supporting Member
just goes to shows, everyone is different... I played 3 of em and didnt really care for em.... I bought a cheaper mim instead.....
I had the same experience, played 4 of them, and all 4 were dead wood.

Jazzgear

Silver Supporting Member
While I admit that Fender quality is not on the same level as say Suhr, Anderson, etc.....

.....I've had a few Deadwood" Suhrs and Andersons - built exceptionally perfect, but did not ring my bell.....I am not dogging them, as I still own a couple of Andersons and Suhrs....but it happens...not every piece of wood is born or manufactured perfectly.

For less than $1000 they are a bargain (albeit if it's up to snuff). Every copy I tried has been spot on.

I just received a 3 tone burst, maple neck one from MF, and it is perfect....setup precise and it was even 95% in tune right out of the box.

I am at the point where my less expensive Fenders get more play time than the more expensive boutiques...and it's not just because of the cost...more so that the Fenders have the sound I like (notice I didn't say better). My EJs have replaced my Suhrs, as my go to strat.....The only other boutique that get's equal play time is my Anderson Cobra -- that guitar has no equal.:JAM

crosse79

Silver Supporting Member
I've been hearing pretty good reviews about the new American Strats. I too have tried 2 Suhr Pro Series - sounded pretty plain to me. Not really worth the prices IMHO. I heard the Suhr standard or custom series are different - but with that price - I guess we can't compare them with the Standard strats anymore.

I agree that Fender has hit a home run with these. I have two American Series Strats that I will keep and two CS Strats. This is IMOHO the best bang for the buck out there - and it is a Fenderb(think resale when you tire of it). I picked up an Oly white/maple. They typically run about 8 lbs., similar to the American Series in that respect. I would prefer 7 1/2 lbs, but you can't have everything - or can you??

blood5150

Has anyone tried putting those "string saver" graphite saddles in these guitars yet? I also picked up a 2008 amer standard (blizzard pearl / rosewood neck) and am thinking about putting these in....

buddastrat

I've tried four and did not like the sounds for good vintagey type tones. Same basic American Std. tone. Too middy or boxy sounding to me. But surprisingly, the MIM classic player and a MIM 50's (awesome strat) were great for that vintagey chime type stuff. I ab'd all these over and over at the store for days.

duaneallen

Silver Supporting Member
I would have to respectfully disagree about the comparisons with the Suhrs. I tried the Fender and wanted to like it more than a Suhr because of the difference in price. Just got a new pro series, and its not even close. Listen to a new, non-custom shop Fender next to any Suhr unplugged and you can tell a major difference in openess of sound and resonance. Factor in the Suhrs great pickups, the fact that its pleked and also the Buzz Fieten system. The Suhr is a bargain when you take in these factors. And its every bit as good as my more expensive Suhr classic strat.

Standard 64

Absolutely perfectly built instrument....and the sound is amazing. I don't know how they did it, but the pickups are nearly noiseless....and have that spank and chime of a great strat.

The neck is a work of art, rolled edges, perfectly dressed frets...etc.

Quite honestly, there is no reason to spend nearly $2k for a Suhr Pro Series, when you can spend less than half that on an equally well made Fender (no Offense to Suhr and it's owners...but this is fact, I've owned several myself)

If Fender can keep up this quality, then I think they've hit a homerun with the new American series strats.
Sounds like my post the other day-New fender strat in the house,WOW!!!I got a great one(sienna,rosewood)perfect construction,awesome tone and major resonance for days.Put it up against anybodys.

schmit

I was supposed to get one delivered today but UPS screwed up and it was rescheduled for tomorrow....dumbasses sent it from Landover MD to Laurel MD and then proceeded to send it back to Landover and they in turn sent it back to Laurel who finally sent it on its way north.....anywho

Jazzgear...do you have a way to meausure the thickness of the neck at the 1st and 12 frets?.....ya know...like .850/.950....or whatever it is.....I know that it's a 1.687 nut

blood5150

Got mine early last week via UPS and I love it... I just need to break it in and it will be ready for action.......

Glowing Tubes

Gold Supporting Member
Yup, I played the new strat and tele and they were winners.
Suhr guitars have a different vibe than Fenders IMO even though they are built from the same concept. (that's neither a good or bad thing) I'd say Fender really stepped up on these guitars, they play and sound great (at least the ones I tried did)

Troubleman

I find the new American Strats to be somewhat hit or miss not unlike the older Amercian Series strats. My buddy owns a small guitar sshop and is a Fender dealler. They just got in 5 new Ametican Standards and two are really nice, the eother 3 were quite heavy and nothing to write home about.
That would be my experience. American Standard Strats can be killer... or...not so much. My buddy Larry has an old American Standard that he ordered from the factory years ago, when moto pickguards were somewhat novel. He wanted a moto pickguard and a lefty neck on his right-handed Strat, so he ordered it that way. What he received is the best American Standard Strat I've ever seen/heard/played. Absolutely killer out of the box. Its body is incredibly resonant and ALIVE. I'd say greater than two standard deviations from the mean, or - somebody at Fender's quality control dept screwed up and let a good one go....

My workhorse Strat is an American Standard 50th Anniv in white. I gutted the electronics and put a pre-loaded/wired Harmonic Design guard in it (Harmonic Design Vintage Plus pups). That guitar is CRUSHIN'. I liked it so much I bought another Harmonic Design pre-loaded guard and another American Standard (same year) to serve as a back up. Geh.. Dead-sounding instrument. Bought another one and swapped the guard into it.... Another dead instrument. Put the guard in an AV52 Strat - BINGO! Sold that Strat sans the pickups/guard. Installed it in yet another American Standard Strat - again, same year. No go....
That's been my experience with American Standard Strats - they're all over the place, from great to terrible.

jb

david henman

Has anyone tried putting those "string saver" graphite saddles in these guitars yet? I also picked up a 2008 amer standard (blizzard pearl / rosewood neck) and am thinking about putting these in....
...don't.

i took the "string saver" saddles off both my strat plus and my tele deluxe plus, put the stock saddles back on and, voila, both guitars immediately came back to life.

lesson learned.

-dh

Trending Topics

Top Bottom