New Fender Custom Shop Maple neck Strats

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DoctorBob, Feb 12, 2012.

1. DoctorBob

DoctorBob Member

Having trouble deciding twixt #3 geetars at Eddies (great store, great guys) in St.Louis.
    1)A '56 NOS Strat-Sunburst, huge neck with modern specs,but the Fat 50 PUPs are sort of blah
    2).A '57 sort of funky Sherwood green, big soft V neck with vintage specs but Team Built and plays great, nice Custom Shop 50s PUPs with a bit more character than the Fat 50s.
    3)A '58 Sun burst, huge neck with modern specs, reliced which I think is ridiculous, and with these incredible Abby PUPs that sound great.

I'm leaning towards the '57--team built; really plays great.Wish it had the Abby PUPs. I have no issues at all with vintage spec necks

Anyone with experience with these models who could chime in would be appreciated..

2. ekkybedmond

ekkybedmond Member

3. TerminalVertigo

TerminalVertigo Member

so buy two and three, swap the pups and return 3 :rotflmao

4. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

Gotta go with a big soft V!

5. mocaster

mocaster Silver Supporting Member

I got my 56 NOS from Eddies...nice soft c neck med/fat... I put in Amalfitano's...done

6. gatornavy

gatornavy Member

A '56 NOS's pickups sounded "blah?" No way! Were they stock? I don't think the '56 comes stock with Fat '50's, but "custom '50's." Maybe they weren't adjusted well or something? My '56 sounds and plays great. The neck is my favorite part- it feels amazing in my hand!

7. gatornavy

gatornavy Member

Dang, did I kill another thread? I really need to stop posting!

8. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Personally I would not want a green guitar, so #2 is out. Relicing doesn't bother me, but I don't like hot pickups, so it would probably be #3 for me.

9. andyk

andyk Supporting Member

#2 for me too. I like pastel colored Strats, and HATE relics.

10. Alister

Alister Supporting Member

PUPS and neck size, plus SB?

Then it's #3 for me. Relics don't bother me at all. In fact, you don't ever have to worry about little g-damn ding or chip.

11. DoctorBob

DoctorBob Member

I got the '57. Played it out. Great neck, very fast, I am an iconoclast in that I prefer the Vintage specs.PUPs are real, real nice. My band mates were freaking out.The green color is goofy cool.I really like this guitar. I again played the '56 and still thought it sounded blah-may be the same PUPs, don't know why there is a difference.. Looks like the same guitar,just a little different neck carve and with modern specs. Maybe its the green color imparting more mojo. In any case, a very nice guitar . Me likey

12. gatornavy

gatornavy Member

Well, everyone has different tastes, I suppose. I am sure the '57 is great too. I'd certainly be happy with any CS Strat.

I love my '56 though. Plugged in to my AST, it's phenomenal! I have to also keep in mind that every guitar is different, even when sharing the same specs. I got a good one for sure! Get the one you like the best and you'll be happy for a very, very long time!

13. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

Wait a minute, wouldn't an iconoclast prefer the non traditional?

Anyway, just a little fun playing around with semantics there. I have a new CS team built 57 (but with iconclastic modern neck specs!) and it is a great guitar IMO. Don't know if the pickups are the same in mine and yours, but from what you said I think they very well might be. The Fat 50s are supposed to be RWRP, which mine aren't. Mine is a relic which I can take or leave, in this case I loved playing and hearing it so much I had to take.

If you're as happy as me, we're both lucky guys!