New Fender MIA Standards. Are they supposed too feel like the MIM's?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by V-Type, Feb 14, 2012.

1. V-Type

V-Type Member

I know I'll get hammered here but my cousin just flipped $1200 for a new Fender MIA standard in Black with a Maple board and current standard electronics.
    Actually she's a great guitar and feels and sounds Great however His nephew has his MIM Lonestar Deluxe MIM Strat at home as well which was what $600 tops new as well as a older MIM Tele Deluxe.
    I dont think it was just me but other than the USA's better sonics and nicer finish it really didnt strike me as a much finer or refined instrument over the couple MIM's we already had.
    I dont mean this as negative against the USA's(Custom Shops/Sigs excluded as they are a different breed) but rather a Nod of Praise too some of the Import Fenders for their very near USA play and feel for $$$.

Anyways not too Pooh on the USA Strats as the thread title reads but I didnt find a huge wow like I do with a Epi LP Standard vs a Gibson LP Standard.

2. zastruga

zastruga Member

As you say, I think it's really more of a testament to the quality coming out of Mexico in recent years. I've had the same experience. A friend has a Highway 1 Strat that he paid < $400 for that comes as close as makes no difference to my $1000 American. The fact that they are both superb guitars tells me the quality of the MIM is just that good, as opposed to the MIA being that bad.

3. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

they're making some nice instruments in Mexico

4. zastruga

zastruga Member

Though, to be honest, it seems to be the special models (as in Lonestar, Hwy 1, Road Worn, etc) that this applies to. There is still a very large difference between the bone standard MIMs and MIAs, in my opinion. Specifically in the feel of the neck and overall "solidness" of the build, if that makes sense.

5. kleydj13

kleydj13 Member

I would agree with this strongly. I haven't been eager about a MIM standard strat or tele, but their beefed up MIM models tend to be really excellent.

6. zum

zum Member

the highway 1's were american made.

7. morlll

morlll Member

If you look hard enough you will in my opinion find a great MIM strat. They aren't all great ones however. The hardware and electronics aren't as nice.

8. V-Type

V-Type Member

Agreed the Tele Deluxe is more of a MIM standard imo but has a glossy finish and the Deluxe Strat has the Texas specials as well as electronics found on $1500 guitars.
    Again no knock as the USA's from Fender which Imo are very High quality guitars.

9. GarMan

GarMan Supporting Member

I have a MIM 60s Classic Strat. It is pretty darn good!

10. rwijaya

rwijaya Supporting Member

you can't compare the American standard with mim deluxe, classic, lines. they are way above the mim standards and toes to toes with american standard. comparing the american standard with mim standard however, the american wins hands down.

11. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Supporting Member

All the bodies and necks are CNC'd in Corona anyway. It's the assembly, hardware and setup that is country specific. I have had turd USA guitars and excellent Mexican guitars.

12. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

you sure about that?

13. Valus

Valus Member

Both of my gigging guitars are Mexican. I've tried to replace them with an American, only to be unable to find one that justified the massive increase in price. Granted, I have found some Americans that were better, they just didn't warrant costing over twice as much.

14. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I agree that the Mexican models, overall, are quite good these days. That said, the USA models will always be a step up in some fashion. Only you can justify if paying extra is worth it. These days, I would rather have that extra refinement and "feel-good" factor of the more expensive model, unless an absolute bargain was found.

I've yet to play a MIM Strat or Tele that I wanted to leave 100% stock, either. I could be quite content with a stock American Standard or better.

15. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Hrmm... if looking for a recent production MIA strat in black, there's a 99% chance I'd get a used one... for probably $650.

Comparing two guitars is anecdotal at best.

That's all I have.

16. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Supporting Member

I was until I saw this. :facepalm

17. stetyrrell

stetyrrell Member

I have an '03 standard MIM tele, and I couldn't be happier with it.

I bought it used, and it had a full fret dress and level etc and that done to it, and it plays better than any of the MIA tele's I've had my hands on, and that's quite a few. The pickups however are rather noisy, but damn are they hot.

18. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I had a really nice MIM Standard Tele, cherry picked it from 40+ examples that I played. Nice as it was, it still needed some fretwork, better pups, etc. My MIA Standard (2011 fwiw) sounds/feels/looks nicer and is just an overall big step up in quality and came w/ a great case to boot.

19. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

lol

20. vanguard

vanguard Member

high-level MIM's are great: classic series, baja, etc.

BUT, a standard MIM would have to be 1/2-300 to stand up to a USA standard that was maybe 1/3.