1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

New Fender Modern Player Guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by HoboJoe, Oct 5, 2011.

1. HoboJoe

HoboJoe Member

2. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

for the most part, i think they look a mess.

[edit]
    i just looked them over again, and although i'm not crazy about any of them, i don't dislike them as much as i first did. i just don't want any of them.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  3. grungebob

grungebob Member

Id happily play any of them, but i'll probably buy the maruader.

4. DrBob

DrBob Member

Interesting move on Fender's part to launch a range of guitars made in China with the 'Fender' as opposed to 'Squier' logo on them.

Of course, that said they have historically done this with both Japanese & Korean Squiers/Fenders.

Friend of mine suggested that they might have done it to deliberately distance them from the Squier C.V. range so that if it didn't work the halo over the C.V. range wouldn't be tarnished. Not sure seems a bit crazy that they'd be prepared to tarnish the 'F' to keep the 'S' clean...

5. bcgraphicsguy

bcgraphicsguy Member

This sparks my curiosity. I saw a MIM at Guitar Center marked Fender Player Telecaster. It was like an Inca Silver color, with tortoise guard and had an active concentric tone pot. Maple neck and fretboard. Also had noiseless pickups....I can't find any info on it anywhere?

6. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Silver Supporting Member

7. Jim S

Jim S Gold Supporting Member

I'm digging the Modern Player Tele Plus in transparent charcoal.

[​IMG]

8. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Those are made in China? Unfortunately the ones I liked best aren't offered with a maple fingerboard! :huh

9. froglord

froglord Member

I'm liking the look of the stripped-down Jaguar. Not sure how I'd find the scale, though. I've never played a 24" neck.

[​IMG]

10. monty

monty Member

Surprise move by Fender, but I'm looking forward to trying the Strat.

11. The Illustrated Bassist

The Illustrated Bassist Member

In my mind, the difference between a short scale and "regular" scale is string tension... I have a BT Jaguar and it just feels different than a longer scale, but you really don't notice about five minutes after you pick it up that you are playing a shorter scale.

I really like what they've done with the Jaguar in this series... makes you wonder if this is a step of moving some of the MIM style models to Asia and using the Mexican factory to produce higher end models than its been producing (hell, I'd move down to Baja to work - great weather and a lot cheaper to live than the US)...

12. ducatisteve

ducatisteve Member

Is there a Strat?

13. mfitz804

mfitz804 Member

I think I'm probably in for a blue Marauder.

14. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

I like the thinline and the Tele Bass, but for the price I would rather go with something different

15. tiptone

tiptone Member

What is that behind the nut? Anybody see any mention of what kind of woods are used in the body (specifically the Jaguar). I didn't see it anywhere...

16. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

I dig the designs, too bad they're made overseas

17. bluesking55

bluesking55 Supporting Member

My GC has the above mentioned Tele with concentric pot and active electronics and a strat with the same electronics, Vintage noiseless in the tele and in the strat but has a humbucker in the bridge. I too cant find any info on them.
    The teles are sunburst and silverish white and the strat are sunburst and natural ash, Both MIM

They are marked SE on the back of headstock. Was told they are GC exclusive guitars

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  18. Jdobson

Jdobson Member

any word on how the triplebuckers (marauder bridge pup) sound?

19. John C

John C Silver Supporting Member

Since nobody answered the question about "what is behind the nut" - to me it just looks like a reflection in the photo from the lacquer on the headstock.

I find it interesting that the body wood isn't listed on the specs for most of this series of instruments - I did see that the Tele Plus models are pine, but didn't see any reference to the type of wood used on the hollowbody Tele or the Jaguar.

20. David Vee

David Vee Member

Interesting products from Fender... but am I the only one who remembers the Gibson Marauder? I wonder if there will there be a legal issue soon to hit the fan because of using the name...