New Fender RI Tweed Twin

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Laroosco!, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Got a chance to play one of these tonight at a friends gig and I wa very happy wtth it.

Fender did it right IMO. The tone my friend was getting with an old 335 was outstanding.

It has renewed my love for Tweed style amps

2. BobbyRay

BobbyRay Supporting Member

The one I picked-up stands right in there with my Clark Tyger, which is saying somethng.

3. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I've got to get a Tweed something soon

4. smilefan

smilefan Member

I had the same experience. I made a point of demoing one
    based on the buzz here. The new Tweed has got to be the
    best amp Fender has made since '67. It really responds like
    a big vintage tweed. Just outstanding.

5. myles111

myles111 Member

I think you will find it more like the original if you put in the proper 12AY7s where there are AX7s installed by the factory.

Lots of folks have not actually heard a vintage low power tweed twin. They are quite a bit different. The speakers of the original and reissue are VERY different.

The reissue is a great piece of work but to my ears and feel it is not really the same amp even when compared to a few of the originals.

6. Ogre

Ogre Member

I didn't love it. I have played through many of the originals, so there must be something to what Myles is saying.

7. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

I thought the amp was a good try, but not quite there. I hauled my Kendrick 4212 up to the store, and pissed off the dealers.

8. myles111

myles111 Member

Ogre

The reissue is a really great piece of work but there are quite a few differences. The speakers for one thing. The transformers too. If you look inside the wiring is quite different with smaller gauge wire and the resistors are not carbon comp. Carbon comps change value when they get hot and this changes the tone and feel of an amp too. This may be a good or bad thing in the end. Metal film resistors are more quiet and much more stable but they are different.

In any case, the amp is a great piece of work but don't try too hard to do a direct A/B compare.

If you want to play one of these, one of my clients in L.A. has one of the best original examples that I have seen or played. I would be happy to hook you up with him to decide for yourself as we all have our own perception.

9. myles111

myles111 Member

A great LP Tweed Twin can make a Tele sound great. I think using a Tele in the new one will show some differences to most ears.

10. BobbyRay

BobbyRay Supporting Member

I think it may be a bit of a waste to try and AB this against an origiginal. With almost any clone or reissue there are going to be differences. Heck, even if all the same components were used there would be the aging difference, and most originals vary from piece to piece.

That said if taken on its own, its definitely a nice amp. If given room to breathe it can really scream. I love the Weber's in my Clark and think the Weber designed Emi's were a nice fit for this amp as well.

If you liked anything from Clapton on "Riding With the King", or "From the Cradle", it's in there.

example: Tweed Twin RI bright channel on 9 with prescence up to 6, bass 4, treble 8 + Clapton strat 4th posistion volume 10, tone 10, mid boost 0 = "Groaning Blues" as recorded on "From the Cradle"
    :dude

11. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

I played a 57 original and I will say that they are one of the alltime greats Just like the Original JTM BB combos,
    I still think Fender did a good job at trying though,Also Had A Victoria LP twin and it was very good

12. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

AGREED! I played one along side several different original tweeds, and it sounded every bit as good as any of them! No slop anywhere. Fantastic job by Fender. The Bassman LTD, SRRI, and tweed twin are just fantastic amps. Fender knows what they are doing.

13. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

I LOVE my Fender 57 Tweed Twin. I've had it since January. I have replaced the first three stock 12AX7's with NOS RCA 12AY7's, and the stock PI with a NOS RCA long grey plate 12AX7. Gone are the stock GT-6L6-GE's, which I replaced with TAD 6L6WGC-STR's, and I replaced the stock EH 5U4GB's with NOS RCA 5U4GB's.
    This amp just "purrs" when I'm plugged into the bright channel (with my Heritage 535 Classic with Seth Lovers) with the volume on 4, treble on 10, Bass on 4, and Presence on 7. VERY similar to Clapton's tone on the "Live at Hyde Park" DVD, (when he used his ES-335 of course) especially when I'm using the Fulltone OCD as a boost/overdrive. The OCD just LOVES this amp.
    I agree with Myles on the 12AY7 switch as well. To my ears, especially with humbuckers, this amp is MUCH sweeter, and MUCH more versatile, with 12AY7's in the first three positons. MUCH better headroom vs volume control.

GREAT amp!!

Chuck

:)

14. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Great to see you Chuck! Hope all is well! :)

15. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

Hi Tag:

Good to "see" you as well. Things are GREAT! (thanks for asking) Hope all is well with you to.

Take care

Chuck