New Fender/SKB American Standard Cases

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Slyib, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Slyib

Slyib Member

In the shadow of the Space Needle (Seattle, WA)
    I like the look of the new Fender/SKB rectangular cases. Especially the fact that they stack.

How are they holding up for you guys (and gals)? Hinges and handles staying on? Closing nice and tight? Anyone seen them for sale without a guitar?

- Brett

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I didn't like the feel of the plastic latches and handle at the shop. It's waaay too early to see how they're holding up. Theyre just hitting stores.

3. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I bought my American Standard Tele without that "Hummer" case. It was too big and bulky. Hell, if you can't put a Tele (the new AmStd is a GREAT guitar BTW) in a gig bag, what can you put in one?

4. Curly

Curly Member

I agree it looks bulky, but it's an improvement.

I thought the old SKB case was great, and was fairly shocked when I found the case on the last US strat I got was a fairly crappy 'made in China' case.

5. whitenoise

whitenoise Member

If (or when) SKB made a LP or SG case that was able to stack along with the fender case, that would be cool. But i dig the looks of the fender molded case myself.

6. Slyib

Slyib Member

In the shadow of the Space Needle (Seattle, WA)
    I currently have 6 Fenders in Tolex cases. I like the idea of the stacking functionality built into the new Fender SKBs, but they do appear bulky. The stock SKB case doesn't have the stacking feature. That's why I'm liking the Fender.

But before I swap out my Tolex cases in favor of the new Fender molded plastic ones, I'd sure like to hear if there are any obvious concerns.

And does anyone know if a PRS CE24 or Standard will fit in a Fender/SKB case without modification?

Thx.

- Brett

7. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Those look like the old Plus cases. I could throw my guitar down a hallway and it would be fine.

8. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

i hate cases.. gigbag for me... unless set neck