New Fender Super Champ XD ?????????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by yakyak, May 26, 2008.

1. yakyak

yakyak Supporting Member

OK, an out of town guitar buddy (who's opinion I trust) has been raving about his. So much so that he has done away with his big live rig and uses one miked in live situations. I must admit that I was skeptical! I have done a little research online about them and had tried one out at GC. It sounded pretty good for a tube power section but the solid state pre amp bothered me a bit. Most of the gripes about them concern the stock speaker. Most said it killed thru a 2 or 4 12" cab. To me that kind of defeats the purpose of the amp.
    After much debate I went ahead and purchased one. I thought what the
    hell,it is only $299. I brought it home and immediately took out the stock speaker and replaced it with a JBL K-110 that I had used in a Princeton Reverb. Now I am amazed! It sounds great. So much so that I am considering leaving my head-cab rig at home. I am not getting any younger and am not as concerned with my stage gear image as I was when I was younger. This amp would be too easy! It has quite a few usable sounds but I mainly play my amp clean and use a few different distortions and other pedals for color. It has a line out. That might work thru the PA, I don't know.
    Any body else have one? Do you like it? Have you changed it from stock in any way? If you haven't already, try one out! No, they aren't going to be as good as your $2000 (place name here) amp, but I was surprised.

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

Yep. Great amps, as I said in an earlier thread the stock speaker is some kind of $3 made in China junk that sounds like a midrange speaker from a set of 70's era 3 way stereo speakers. I don't think I've heard a worse speaker in my life. But I don't fault Fender for this, it keeps the cost of the amp down.

When I ordered my SCXD, I knew I would be using it through a cabinet. But just for giggles I ordered an Eminence Rajin Cajun along with it. The Cajun improves this amp 300%. It's actually incredible how much better this speaker sounds.

The second thing I did was replace the unbranded 12AX7 with a real EH12AX7 which made the amp sound fuller and got rid of all the rattles that I assumed were the cabinet when not using an external cabinet..but all those rattles were acutally that stock tube.

Overall I love the amp and it kills my Blues Jr. With the Rajin Cajun it has more bottom end than the BJ!

3. NTBluesGuitar

NTBluesGuitar Member

Messed with one a few times at a store. I thought it had some great sounds in it, and was a lot of fun to play.

4. StudioRat320

StudioRat320 Member

Damn, thanks man, I thought it was the cabinet too. I'm gonna get that tube outta there tomorrow. Good lookin out

5. richey88

richey88 Member

I agree about the speaker, but there is always a 4x12 when I gig w/ mine....going to try a new speakes as soon as funds allow.....check out the stock speaker recorded thru my crap tascam here: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6536198 hella bang for the buck and thru a bigger cab (sometimes use a 1x12) I can't get the clean channel past 6 before bandmates start whining.....enjoy it. Also going to out an EH12AX I have in there for posterity......

6. yakyak

yakyak Supporting Member

I looked at my tubes. I changed the 12ax7 out to a GT 12A7M. It is even better. I have some old GE 6V6's but I do not think it needs them. The stock power tubes in mine are Electro Harmonix. I have read some good things about them so I left them alone - for now.
    One of the reasons that I got this amp was for band practice. My mates had been whining about my volume. I was using a Hiwatt Custom 20 head and an Orange 2x12 cab. I was trying to make it easier on them and still get a decent sound. It sounded so good at home that I was contemplating using it live. It would make my life easier. Judging from the previous post, they may whine still. The JBL is a very efficient speaker that has a clear high end and bass response. Those low notes do not turn to mush. I will report on how it sounds with the band.

7. Ooogie

Ooogie Member

I just ordered one of these during the 15% off sale at MF. I've been wanting to try one for awhile and after seeing so many good words about them in the forum lately decided to take advantage of the discount. I'm going to check out the stock speaker for awhile but will probably be looking to upgrade soon also...really appreciate all the input on the amp and different speaker options. Great stuff!!

-Mark

8. phatster

phatster Member

Anybody found the footswitch yet!??? I agree...Fender got it right with this design.

9. JumpMarine

JumpMarine Supporting Member

When I listed mine for sale I looked all over the internet to see if anyone had the footswitch and the answer was NO. I think that it was a fluke that I got one from the mom and pop store that I bought it from. At the time they were only able to get 4 of them from Fender and I was first in line to get one. Good luck in finding one. FYI, it's the same pedal for the FM65 amp.

10. mude

mude Supporting Member

Mine came with the footswitch and the cord. So, it did not seem that hard to find actually. Of course, I did get mine from you JumpMarine! :D Thanks again.

Evan.

11. JumpMarine

JumpMarine Supporting Member

LOL, you are one of the lucky ones with the "Golden Footswitch"! Fender really dropped the ball on this one, but then how could they have anticipated the huge demand for the amps themselves. Oh well, enjoy!

12. Griz

Griz Member

I'm waiting to try the new Celestion 10" greenback in my SCXD.
    :banana

13. fish78

fish78 Member

Its seems that the Ragin Cajun isa popular choice for replacement speaker...what are some others that are liked?

14. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

I am using a beam blocker, a Ragin' Cajun and a NOS Telefunken 12ax7. I really like the amp, especially with a Bad Monkey. However, I think mine has some kind of issue with the preamp. I thought it might be the tubes, but I have tried changing all of them and it still has the problem. Kind of a digital fading out kinda deal. I am just going to ignore it though.

This amp and a compressor is also a magic combo. Squish it down some and you can get a pretty good Carlton style tone. A hidden gem is that jazz model. I am not a big fan of the high gain models that much though.

Mike

15. phatster

phatster Member

The jazz model IS awesome!!:hide

16. Ooogie

Ooogie Member

I ran across this page on the Fender site with some SCXD sample settings. It's a pretty cool setup with a drop down menu to select a sound then it shows the amp settings for the sounds...apparently these were dialed in by the guys at Fender. The only bad thing is there are only 4 or 5 selections right now, it would be nice if they added some more...

http://www.fender.com/products/amplifiers/superchampxd/

Mark

17. shibby

shibby Member

does the beam blocker make a big difference?