New Fender Supersonic........First hour impressions!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jimmyohio75, Sep 30, 2008.

1. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

The UPS guy left my new Supersonic on the front porch an hour and a half ago. I have been playing with it ever since. First off the cleans are great...a huge improvement over my former Orange Rocker 30. The burn channel has enough distortion on tap for what I need but it seems a bit thin. Of course I shouldn't compare the dirty channels on an Orange amp and a Fender amp, fender loses everytime. I have been told that the burn channel sound will thicken up once the speaker gets broken in. Is this true? Is there anything I can do(pedals, tubes?) to try and thicken the sound without waiting for the speaker to break in? I have a gig in 3 weeks and I would like a thicker distortion channel

The footswitch is awesome! I can use the effects button as a volume boost which will be great for live gigs. It is a bit lighter than my Rocker 30 even though it is a bit larger overall.
    Once I can figure out how to fatten up the sound on the burn channel (single coils and humbuckers) I will be a happy camper.
    I have been through 4 amps in 6 months and I want this one to stay with me.:dude

2. bobbypols

bobbypols Member

get an eq pedal and boost the low end, it will thicken then...

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Check the bias. They are notorious for coming thru very low. Mine was at 23 ma when I got it. The conservative factory recommended setting is 32 ma. Also lose the Sovtek pre amp tubes. Bob

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  4. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

What he said!! That is what I do and it works great!

5. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I saw Greg Koch do a clinic early this year using the SS with an ext cab and some sort of footswitch patched into the loop(?) for boost and he sounded great. The setup info is probably out there...so are his chops, but a lot harder to get.

6. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

You should try to put about 20 hours of harder playing to break in the speaker....

7. SFW

SFW Member

Go to the fender site and look up the "Plays itself" settings. I've tried them on a SS, and the sound was anything but thin. One of these days, I will own a SS.

8. Caribou

Caribou Silver Supporting Member

I haven't tried it myself, but many guys break speakers in by hooking a stereo up to the speakers and dampening the sound with blankets while the music is cranked. This gives the cones a real workout and lets everything loosen up nicely. I know there are threads about this around here somewhere....

9. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

I agree with this. Tonight my band was in the recording studio completing our first CD. Ironically the studio had a Supersonic in house for the musicians to use. I figured I would plug it in and see how it sounded compared to mine. HUGE difference!! The SS in the studio was over a year old and had around 100 hours of play on it! It sounded awesome!! If this is what I have to look forward to my continual search for the holy grail of amps may have just come to an end. I will enter a link to our My Space page so you can hear how this SS sounds after our CD is mastered in a week or so!!!
    I love this amp!!!!

10. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Try yours into that speaker to assess your amp.

11. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

For THIS amp, truer words were never spoken. The V30 will change dramatically... more low end, fatter, smoother, less of that mid-high "squawk" the V30's are known for.

12. Ascension

Ascension Member

The speaker break in will indeed help some. I had a Super Sonic head for a while and new tubes will make a HUGE difference. The pre amp tubes are the most critical along with a rebias to heat things up a little. Use a good high quality 12 AT7 in the inverter. I used a NOS RCA Blackplate 12AT7 as most of these amps are very noisy from the factory with the Sovetec in the PI. I used NOS Shunghang Chinese 80's production 12AX7's in several slots and a pair of Tung Sol 12 AX7's in V1 and 2. That did wonders to fatten and sweeten the overall tone.

13. Ascension

Ascension Member

I did this with mine . Activating the loop adds another 12AX7 to the circuit and it also has a pre and post gain adjustment. If you set it up right and then just jump the loop it then becomes an adjustable foot switchable lead boost;)!

14. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

You could just dial up a mid range tone and rest the guitar against it. It's good for the guitar too because vibration helps to power the pectin in the cells resulting in a nice round tone.

15. powermatt99

powermatt99 Member

I would check the bias (or have your tech check the bias).