New Fenders and Stellar Fretwork

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dsmc80, Mar 2, 2012.

1. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

I have to hand it to Fender. The past few years I have purchased 3 new American Standard Fenders (Teles and Strats) 2 MIM and one custom shop. Every single one of them has had stellar fretwork. Really, every one of those guitars has been phenomenal. Aside from setting things up to my personal specs, they have killed out of the box.

I think these past few years Fender has really done well at putting on very consistent instruments. I am sure there are examples of a few that have slipped through the cracks, but I haven't seen one lately.

Has anyone else noticed this? I am pretty picky about new guitars coming to me issue free and I have to say, I am very pleasantly pleased here lately.

2. djg714

djg714 Member

I have to agree. Some nice necks coming out now.

3. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

Agreed, all the way down to the import Squiers, too. Just bought a VM Surf Strat, and it is seriously not that far from an American Standard, finish-wise. Needs a little fret polishing, but the edges and the setup are stellar.

4. shane88

shane88 Member

yes they are good and that's the way it should be - there's no excuse for bad fretwork @ any price point

5. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

That is encouraging to hear. It is a great time to be a musician. There is just a ton of great gear of all kinds to make music with. :rimshot

6. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

Agreed. You can score those used for around 1k all day. That is a steal at the price.

7. Squirelova

Squirelova Member

So I'm looking at all the nice things here about fretwork, right...and I'm thinkin' I must be an a__hole 'cause I keep seeing or getting sent these (I won't mention names here) 2013 American "Standards" with serious dead spots and buzz in the MIDDLE of their necks where there WAS enough relief so, what gives? I was in a hurry to get the factory "rebate" wich began to feel more like an apology from the afore un-mentioned manufacturer and the more guitars I came across that were'nt even as decent playing as an MIM or my Squiere CV 50's the more I needed to cry. They SOUNDED great,don't get me wrong, but I guess shopping for one in August ain't such a good idea maybe. Maybe I'm unAmerican or some thin'...what do you think?:mob