New Flexi clip!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sinasl1, May 19, 2005.

1. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Ok, here's a fairly comprehensive clip...

http://music.mp3lizard.com/petethorn/

click on Flexi Strat/LP clip

trying to show off how dynamic this amp is on this clip. I recorded the Flexi through a Bogner 2-12", G12H30 mic'd dead center with a 57, into Logic (I added a bit of verb in Logic also).

First you hear my strat into the Flexi clean unboosted channel, then I switch in the boost and hit the bridge pickup. Next, you hear my 57 LP reissue (Voodoo 59 pups) into the boost channel, with the vol on the guitar around 5 at first, some simple chording stuff, then I roll it up and rock.

Amazing how it cleans up with just the guitar volume/pick attack, most dynamic amp I've played I think....

2. DestroyAllGuitars

DestroyAllGuitars Member

I guess Ed wins. Looks like I'll have to get a Flexi. Great playing,
    & tone and good job of recording it all.

3. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Yeah those were by far the best Flexi clips I've heard....

4. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

All I can say is.... WOW! WOW! WOW!!! That makes me wanna do nothing but go out and get a Flexi.

Great clips.....

5. markp

markp Member

Sounds great>
    I have been thinkin about next amp in the collection,and Ikeep coming back to the idea of a second FLEXI.

6. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

Awesome. The Flexi is a great sounding amp and your clip demonstrates that very well. The amp is killer.

Brett Garsed sent me an email a couple weeks ago saying that he was really into the Flexi lately and his Bogner was seeing less and less use.

I bought Brett's Diezel a few years ago as he had decided he liked the Bogner better for what he was playing but now days he seems to prefer the Flexi.

It is a great amp and I too will own another at some point (soon).

7. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

thanks dudes...

loving the amp... perfect combo of cool new hi tech features and totally old school tones.... and the dynamics thing is unbelievable, Isn't that crazy when I roll the volume up on the Les Paul? I've never played anything that will clean up that much.... would sound better with a Royer mic blended in too:) I'm not a big 57 fan...

8. BigFoot

BigFoot Member

Nicely done! Sounds great. Question: do you use a Hotplate (or other attenuator) with the Flexi?

Also, the level of gain you are getting in the end of the clip sounds real nice but maybe adding an OD pedal would push it right over the edge into a frenzy. Would you agree?

9. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

NICE!!! Daddy like-y!

10. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

my thoughts EXACTLY , if I were using a flexi Id need more gain than it naturally seems to put out, the time machine boost would get it exactly to where id like it to be . great classic rock tones without the boost though :dude

11. Orren

Orren Member

Excellent clip! It really captures the range of the Flexi well, and great playing! :)

Orren

12. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

definitely the best Flexi demo I've heard yet. Very cool!!

13. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

Great clip! Really shows how a Flexi sounds! :)

14. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Hi guys, glad you are digging the clip,

With regards to using an OD pedal, I was not running the amp at full-bore on this clip, the volume was at about 2 o'clock, and the boost (when engaged, at the end of the strat clip and for the whole Les Paul clip) was at 5 o'clock or so... so there's some more amp OD on tap than you heard in this clip....

having said that, for the best range of tones, I'd probably leave the amp set as I had it for the clip and add a boost or OD for total meltdown, thereby keeping some clean headroom... I've just started experimenting with boosts, and my TMB and Katana sound great through this amp...

I probably will use the Hotplate in conjunction with the master volume... footswitching the master in and out for a slight volume boost, and using the hotplate to control the overall level...incidentally, there are other clips at the above link that say "THD-Semiens
    ", THD-EL34B-Matsu", etc... these are clips demonstrating various output tubes in the Flexi with the amp running into a hotplate set at "load" and running the line out on the amp into Logic Pro 7... I'm using the amp sim in Logic for a speaker simulator only, and damn if it doesn't sound good... since recording those clips I've tweaked it even more and I'm telling ya, it sounds almost exactly the same as my mic'd clip.... I'm so pleased I have finally found a killer way to record D.I. guitar at home, no mics/cabs neccesary...

15. BigFoot

BigFoot Member

Would you be so kind as to record another clip with the amp set up as you have in the current clip, but add the OD pedal (clean boost) at some point in the clip? I would be really interested in hearing a demonstration of the amp going into 'meltdown' territory.

16. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

sure, no problem... I'm out of town now, I can get to it on... hmmm sunday night or maybe monday morning... I will repost to this thread when it's done... I have a TMB, I'll use that on both the treble booster side and the modern (straight-up boost) side...

I'm contemplating an OCD purchase soon, bet that'd sound killer through this amp.... as would any TS-9 variant I bet...

17. Amp Nut

Amp Nut Member

Wow! That clip makes the clips on the THD site sound bad in comparison. Great playing!

18. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Thanks Amp Nut... only drag is the amount of RF noise (buzz) in my studio.... which you can hear loud and clear on my clip, hoho.... sometimes it's not so bad, it comes and goes. Oh well... I have a UA 6176 mic pre which helps, that's a great piece of gear for any home studio, or pro studio for that matter....

maybe I'll record a proper demo track with bass and drums and a few guitar parts on it and send it to THD, maybe they'd want to throw it up on their site... I'm a seriously big fan of their stuff at this point... I've owned and used a Hotplate for years with other amps, but this is the first amp of theirs I've owned. I remember playing a THD Plexi 2-10" combo years ago at Makin Music in north Hollywood, that amp smoked!

19. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Incidentally, I'm playing in a new band with McCartney guitarist Brian Ray, and we have a show at The Gig in Hollywood this thursday at 8:30p.m., if any of you L.A. area guys want to hear the Flexi in action... Brian will be busting out the Divided By 13 9/15 and getting great tones as always, should be a fun night!

20. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

As a big Ed deGenaro fan I have to disagree here!!!! Ed's clips have something magical, sinasl1 clips have something magical too! :D What i am trying to say is that I can hear the amp's qualities AND the player in each and every recording but IMHO THD sites clips RULE!!!!