New footage from The Who 1982

twotone

Townshend used the same kind of guitar and amp rig for the farewell concert they did in Toronto. His tone is much better at the Shea Stadium concert. The farewell concert tone was too clean and twangy.

geoangus

Silver Supporting Member
Kenny is a great drummer, but no one could replace Keith. Pete is the brains behind so much, but the energy of the band was from the anarchy on the drummer’s throne.

wire-n-wood

Pretty loose and uninspired. Kenney sure didn't fit.
Kenney plays fine. I know it's the done thing to say he didn't fit in the Who. But the drums sound very dry in the mix.

I think the drums and Pete sound great, but it looks like they all hate each other, or are tired of being around each other.

Bass isn't loud enough in this mix either.
To me it feels like their youthful vibe of not caring or respecting anything doesn't really seem so authentic in 80s fashion. Can't quite work out what my impressions of this are. The guitar playing is excellent.

Walter Boots

When Kenny Jones was in the faces he had 14-16-18 in toms-and hit them hard.In the Who he had a set of 8-10 in toms that he fell in love with,playing 5's and 7's on constantly.Did Keith Moon have a tom smaller than 12?ever?It drives me crazy to this day,Thank god the Who got Zak Starkey.
the crime is committed first of many times 6 seconds in

Shark21

Silver Supporting Member
When Kenny Jones was in the faces he had 14-16-18 in toms-and hit them hard.In the Who he had a set of 8-10 in toms that he fell in love with,playing 5's and 7's on constantly.Did Keith Moon have a tom smaller than 12?ever?It drives me crazy to this day,Thank god the Who got Zak Starkey.
the crime is committed first of many times 6 seconds in
The first drummer I played with told me that the new guy in the Who didn't use the right drums. He was talking about the toms. Not sure he played the same kick either.

wire-n-wood

I feel that The Who was one of the greatest bands for more than a decade of the golden era. But they are a band that didn't evolve after that. I don't buy the normal excuse that Kenney Jones couldn't replace Moon. Of course he was different, but he'd already proven himself a great drummer in Faces. It's not a criticism, but just an observation that they didn't adapt as a band to new personnel and new times after 1978. The Rolling Stones did adapt, and the Beatles broke up to do different things.

Walter Boots

I feel that The Who was one of the greatest bands for more than a decade of the golden era. But they are a band that didn't evolve after that. I don't buy the normal excuse that Kenney Jones couldn't replace Moon. Of course he was different, but he'd already proven himself a great drummer in Faces. It's not a criticism, but just an observation that they didn't adapt as a band to new personnel and new times after 1978. The Rolling Stones did adapt, and the Beatles broke up to do different things.
well reasoned POV,but the problem for me and maybe other people is that Kenny Jones DID change how he played.Compare Stay With Me with You Better You Bet,it sounds like a diferent guy.

fetchmybeer

Did the Stones really adapt? I mean, they meandered slightly into disco and then did Tattoo You, which was a bunch of unreleased b-sides from the 70s as I recall. Undercover definitely had an 80s sheen to it and has its moments, but the Stones pretty much kept their formula. They got a lot of flack from fans when they ventured off the well worn path.

Anyway, just an observation. I don't want to sidetrack the thread.

yoworob

All Shall be Well
Silver Supporting Member
It's a pretty decent run-through of 5:15 - Pete's guitar sounds great as noted, weird song order. Thanks for sharing but I had to think how much can change in 12 years...

wire-n-wood

Did the Stones really adapt? I mean, they meandered slightly into disco and then did Tattoo You, which was a bunch of unreleased b-sides from the 70s as I recall. Undercover definitely had an 80s sheen to it and has its moments, but the Stones pretty much kept their formula. They got a lot of flack from fans when they ventured off the well worn path.

Anyway, just an observation. I don't want to sidetrack the thread.
The Stones continued to find ways to be comfortable in their own skin and musical output as they aged. That’s what I sense is lacking in the 82 video of The Who.

wire-n-wood

well reasoned POV,but the problem for me and maybe other people is that Kenny Jones DID change how he played.Compare Stay With Me with You Better You Bet,it sounds like a diferent guy.
It maybe that Moon was such a self contained tear-away that they never needed to think about his fit. Jones was more affected by the fact that the band was unconvinced and divided about his inclusion. I guess I’ve always felt the responsibility has to be shared. I feel like they stopped trying And Kenney gave them an excuse.

Trending Topics