new (for me) Hamer Artist Korina P90

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Scott_F, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Scott_F

Scott_F Gold Supporting Member

Wow, these are great guitars. Nice Korina wood, great neck (somewhere a bit thicker than a 60's LP). Duncan P90's. Tonepros bridge and locking studs. Hardshell case. Lightweight as heck.

What a great used buy. Top quality stuff. I'm going to put 10's on it and give it a set up. Needs a bit of nut work, but no big deal.

Great used values, these Hamers. :) I highly recommend one.

2. Rama

Rama Member

I sold mine and have regretted it ever since. That guitar possesses a sweet balance of grit and air that is magical. And it's beautiful in a form following function sort of way.

I find that one of the secrets to its SWEETNESS is the extra distance from the treble p90 to the bridge. It hears a fatter sound in that slightly northerly locale that translates beautifully to the amp. It's a VELVET HAMMER>

That's it....gotta get another one....wonder if they'd make me one with a 25.5 in scale????:) .... with aged cream body and neck binding????

GREAT....Now I won't sleep..:rolleyes:

I love guitars.

3. bluesman69

bluesman69 Member

4. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I had the same guitar with H/H pickups; and oh do I miss it. Light as a feather and sounded so sweet. Sigh.

5. tiptone

tiptone Silver Supporting Member

Are these neck-heavy at all?

I've got a Studio and I love the balance there, and one of these looks really tempting.

6. Scott_F

It feels like a nce ligthweight strat. Body is probably about 4 lbs. Doens't feel neck heavy to me at all.

7. arniez

arniez Supporting Member

I have one just like it and it's cousin as well! Great guitars
    [​IMG]
    ArnieZ

8. george4908

george4908 Member

Mine's a little neck heavy, but not bad. But the guitar is just so right in so many ways -- sounds and plays fantastic, and the stripped-down aesthetic is a nice contrast to the flashier stuff. Just a great guitar.

9. Scott_F

I spent some time giving it a set up. I'm not sure if it was just poorly set up, or climate changes mailing it to Texas. But, it was out of whack. Got that neck straightened out a bit, actually a lot, It had a lot of relief, so much so that the tonepros saddles were all the way back and still the intonation was off.

The stock pups are the Duncan Hot neck (a5) and the Duncan Custom bridge (ceramic). They aren't bad, but a set of Duncan Antiquities in it (a2), yeah, that'd be the ticket. I've also got a set of Lollars sitting here unused. Might try them first. Not sure. I've also got an A5 Antiquity I got to wind at the Duncan User Group Day several months ago.

Nice to have all these pups sitting around! :)