New (free) guitar day!!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mike80, Jun 30, 2008.

1. mike80

mike80 Member

My buddy called me up a few days ago and said "Come get this damn thing out of here. You can have it. I'm tired of seeing it."

"It" is a '92 Fender Santa Maria 12 string acoustic. The neck was broken right at the body, where the neck and the heel were joined. It was a pretty clean break, right where it was originally glued. Somehow, his wife stepped on it a few years ago and he never got around to getting it fixed. The spruce top was seperating from the body at the break also. The only thing holding the neck on was the finish.

So, I took a razor and cut the finish along the fretboard and seperated the neck from the body. Cleaned up a few splinters on the neck/heel joint, dabbed some Titebond under the spruce top and on the neck/heel/body joint, clamped it and let it sit overnight.

Put new strings on it today, and it plays and sounds beautifully. The break is visible, but doesn't affect the playability. My camera isn't working right today, otherwise I would have some pics up.

So, here's to free guitars!

2. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

:worthless

I had a guitar that didn't make it through a flood. The water didn't get it but the cleaner guys knocked it over and cracked the top and sides real bad. I practiced my Pete Townshend impretion with it...... maybe I shoulda fixed it. Nah, my way was more fun!! (It was a $99.00 Jasmine)

3. mike80

mike80 Member

Ok, I got some pics on my crappy camera.

The whole guitar:

[​IMG]

The repair:

[​IMG]

Other side:

[​IMG]

The action could stand to be lowered some for my preference, but overall the guitar is holding up well. It's my first neck repair, and even though it's not all that pretty, it did what I need it to do.

4. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

5. mike80

mike80 Member

Thanks.

I did some more work to it today. Adjusted the truss rod sanded the saddle down quite a bit, and I got the action down to 1/16" at the 12th fret with no buzzes. Quite impressive for a cheap acoustic IMO.

I know it's not the best guitar, but for free I was pretty impressed. It will come in handy sometime.

A new guitar is always welcome at my house, no matter how cheap or expensive it is.