• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

New from Catalinbread - Formula 55

NeilYoungFan

Silver Supporting Member
Definitely seems interesting, but we shall have to wait for demos and reviews. The way I understand this, they tried to create a pedal that would have a wider range of tones than the original F5. If they have indeed achieved it, then this is good news.

NeilYoungFan

Silver Supporting Member
The original F5 was often ctiticized as having a very narrow range of tones. The way I see it this was intentional in an effort to stay true to the 5E3 circuit. With a tweed deluxe turning the volume above 4-5 only gets you more saturation and not gain. Also, the tone control effect becomes minimal as you turn the volume up. They did a good job at recreating that.
Now, with the F55 they seem to focus on delivering a wider range of drive, plus adding the Hi/Lo settings and interestingly a master volume. Very ambitious project this one. If they managed to tune it right, this will be an interesting addition.
Between this one and the announced Mad Professor Big Tweedy, it seems that soon there'll be two solid new offerings in the tweed realm.

mister_finch

They namechecked Crazy Horse in the teaser, I wonder if the range on this will go as far as 'jet plane in a thunderstorm'?

monkmiles

Jazz/Funk/Rawk/Groove
Silver Supporting Member
I enjoyed the Formula 5f6 alot. This seems like a similar take but I much prefer the controls on the 55 to the 5f6. Love how they mention grant green tones, which is often my thing, which I think the 5f6 did well too. I'd like to try one of these for sure.

Bucksears

Gold Supporting Member
While I think the F5 sounded rather terrible, the 5F6 was/is really great. This looks very promising and I look forward to try it out!
I've often almost-pulled-the-trigger on a used Cbread 5F6; would like to hear a side-by-side comparison with the Formula 55. This might be a good one to do in a larger format like the original Galileo, with the Hi/Lo on a footswitch.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom