New Fromel Seraph Deluxe

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bucksears, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

Well Ill chime in with 3 thumbs up .... I had an early Seraph with some of these upgrades and it was really awesome .... and the tzf Leslie is one of the best Ive heard ..... now with these new upgrades it has to be top shelf and I may grab one myself.

chankgeez, Flatscan and rck like this.
  2. donfrantz

donfrantz Yo! You stealin’ all the cool. Supporting Member

Been playing with mine a bit. Definitely a beautiful sound. I'll post again when I've played with it a bit more.

Holzar88, Flatscan, rck and 1 other person like this.
  3. williamh

williamh Supporting Member

I'm really wanting to try out one of these with the nos chips. Could you post again in this thread when they're available? I love my dc2s but one is starting to have some issues and I love to try one of these out as a possible replacement.

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Are there any essential differences in stereo in/out mode between this and the original Dimension D besides the voltage on the rails? Are the vintage chips 3007 or 3207? Is it running at 12v internal? Are you getting compatibility with synths by padding down the input or upping the voltage rails? I ask because for mono in/stereo out I've got the DC-2. For emulations I can run things on an Eventide or PCM80 and get pretty good results. But I'd definitely pay what you're asking for something that truly nails the Dimension D sound...

PurpleJesus likes this.
  5. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I went to preorder tonight for that batch of NOS pedals, and it wasn’t possible. Do you send out an email when they become available?

Holzar88 likes this.
  6. lv

lv Supporting Member

John,

Did not realize you were actively building again, have wanted another shape for some time!

7. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

@jfromel been in contact with John about it for a while and I cant wait. Happy New Year

8. jfromel

jfromel Gold Supporting Member

I should have them back in stock in a couple weeks.

9. jfromel

The DIM D uses 3007's I am using 3207's with regulated voltage on both delay lines. The vintage chip set has slightly less headroom than the new production chips but it still has no problem with line level.

10. dpgreek

PM sent on this

11. Killshakes

Killshakes Member

Cool! I kind of wish a rotary knob had been used for the original presets though, instead of mini-toggles. I know the toggles give more options (unless there's an 8-position rotary switch out there), but extra preset options seem sort of superfluous in light of the ability to dial in the Speed and Depth manually.

12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

OK, that's cool. Let me ask a different question: what, if any, are the differences between this and the rack mount Dimension D?

13. ThVH

ThVH Member

First of all, I think it's a great thing that Mr. Formel himself answers questions here (as well as many other builders) - thank you for that!

I've got 2 questions myself:
    - do the rate and depth knobs affect the preset or preset combination currently at work, or does changing into knob mode mean that the preset switches don't have any effect at all?
    - (bit of a crazy question) would it be possible to have the seraph deluxe modded to MIDI control? I'd love to have a dimension style chorus with the ability to recall settings via an external MIDI switcher.

14. dpgreek

this would be great but the pedal already is going to be bomb.com

Holzar88 and ThVH like this.
  15. rck

rck Member

If I understand correctly, they are indepedent of each other.

ThVH likes this.
  16. ThVH

ThVH Member

17. jfromel

The rack version is obviously much bigger, it has balanced input and output and uses high voltage BBD's and clocks (MN3007 and MN3001). The rack version also has a dedicated power supply. The DIM D only has 4 presets and does not have through zero flange, true pitch vibrato, or manual control of the rate and depth.

The pedal does not have MIDI control, however I am working on a eurorack and 500 rack version that will have balanced in/out as well as CV control of the rate.

Also I got a new batch of NOS chips in and have 5 vintage versions available now!

AceBSpankin, ThVH and dpgreek like this.
  18. dpgreek

Just snagged one! Woo

Flatscan and rck like this.
  19. rck

rck Member

a NOS version, right? Me too, can't wait!

dpgreek likes this.
  20. rck

rck Member

Any update?

Holzar88 and dpgreek like this.