New Fuchs Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mdog114, Sep 26, 2006.

1. mdog114

mdog114 Member

[​IMG]

Well I picked-up the head a few weeks ago and I just got the Avatar cabinet. It's a real quality amp that sounds wonderful. The Avatar Cabinet is also very well made and sounds great.

I've been playing for close to 30 years now and I've run a small studio since 89', so I've had the opportunity to hear and record tons of amps/speakers over the years. I own a few really nice "big guy" amps and a few different cabs, but I wanted to make this rig as "quality" as possible.

I searched and read all I could about speaker & cabs, I asked friends whose opinions I respect and tried-out as many combos as I could. I was really leaning towards the Tonkers, but I ended-up going with the Man'O'War models. I played the amp and new cab last night for a few hours and it really sounds great!

The reason I changed my mind at the last minute about the Tonkers was, I tried the amp with a EVM-12L I had and I liked it a lot. The only detractor was it made the amp seem a lot louder than it was using less efficient speakers (no surprise there!). I really liked this aspect due to my craving more clean headroom, but the amp just got too loud. My other main amp is a Bad Cat Hot Cat 15 and the only ccomplaint I have was it's clean would break-up too soon. This new 30 watter is about as loud as I'll ever need, and with a real clean speaker, it was too LOUD!

I'm still interested in the Tonker & the Tonkerlite as possibles for another cabinet, so if anyone has any input on these speakers, let me know.

Thanks for listening.

2. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

Andy did a beautiful job on that rig man! Congrats !

3. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Schweet..... Definitely.

jb

4. Mike ODS50

Mike ODS50 Member

Nice looking rig man. Sounds like you've got some great gear for your studio.

5. scottl

scottl Member

Tonkers are not good at all IMO. I have 4 of them and I HATE them. Try the Red White and Blue.....

6. mdog114

mdog114 Member

Thanks for the heads-up!

Have you used any of the Fuchs amps with a EVM-12L? Did you like it, or feel the same way as the Tonkers?

7. mdog114

mdog114 Member

Do the RW&Bs come in 16ohms?

8. scottl

scottl Member

EVM12L is great. The 200 watt version ;)

Frankenstrat just got one for his 50 watter and LOVES it!

Also, the RWB is only available through retail channels as an 8 ohmer. Some OEMs may be getting them in 16 ohms and relabeling. But, for you and I, 8 ohm is it.

The Scumback H75 and H75LDHC are very highly regarded as well. I have two 16 ohm LDHC versions in a 2X12 and it kicks ass.

Lastly, don't rule out the new Celestion Heritage G1265 reissue. I was supposed to be sampling some for Fuchs, but they never showed up.... :(

Scott

9. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I have a ODS50(on the way to scottL for mods as we speak[​IMG]) and I just changed the speakers in my Cab to Legend GB12's (75 wattsx2) and they sound great. I had a set of Fat S1's and they were just too sterile. Made my cab about 50 pounds lighter as well..........[​IMG]

10. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

Yeah, I have a EVM12L in a Fuchs 1x12 cab and it sounds great with all my D-Style amps.

11. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I've one of those in a Theile-ported Mesa cabinet. When paired with a Fuchs BlackJack21, it's great

jb

12. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Scott,

Please post your findings when you do get a chance to test them, I'm really interested in the 65s.

13. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

tone report....please????

14. tedjac

tedjac Guest

Just as a quick note... another speaker that is very close to the EVM12L, but about $70 cheaper is the Eminence Delta Pro 12A. It's heavy and will handle 400W... but the sound and tone is really warm, full and very EVM12Lish... maybe a tad less "sterile."

15. DavidS

DavidS Supporting Member

I use a EVM 12L in a Cannabis Rex in 1X12 configuration with my Fuchs. Both sound really good. The 12L sounds better at louder volumes and the CRex is better at lower volumes. But my favorite is my 2X12 cab with old Celestion 12-65s.

16. bman

bman Member

Ditto for me too! I really liked the originals I heard at your place Scott.

b

17. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

I like the Tonker with Fuchs/2 Rock, but it is not the dumbly sound most people associate with these amps. The Tonker to me sounds a lot like a Fane, but less aggressive and not as chunky when pushed. The RWB and EV type speakers give you a smoother OD and an eq curve that leans more toward blackface fender. In comparison, the Tonker is drier sounding and more aggressive.

Cool rig!

Ray

18. danel59

danel59 Member

I have finally settled (for now) on an EVM12L in a 1x12 open back configuration. I use it with my ODS30SLX and this is what it needed. Before I was using my THD 212 and though it is a great box, I think the EVM12L is what, at least to me, brings me even closer to the D....e tone which is why I bought the amp in the first place. Next I have to get some more tips from ScottL and see what more is in store for my amp ;-)!

All the best and great looking rig by the way

Dan