New Fulltone CS SSTE day !

MRscratch

just brought home a brand new SSTE.
Took a while before I decided to bite into tape again. I had an EP3 and it was great but it was old, noisy, and worn.
This unit is gorgeous with great fit and Finnish.
The thing sounds so good and of course the first thing I did was compare it to my Belle Ephoc!!
Good job CB I must admit but that thick analog whoomp is not the same. Sounds like the CB has the bite but not quite the depth. That said it sounds pretty close
The one thing that the SSTE has too is that ability to have delays just sit there and float endlessly without going into oscillation
But just about.
The unit is very quite and can either run your signal through an EP3 pre amp or just straight through with delays. There's also an instrument level so you can give yourself a little boost when you turn it on.
It's true bypass as well.
Fulltone has also made special tape for this unit and I hope it addressed the prior issues. In Canada this cost me 2 grand :(
I'll post pics when I can but I won't demo as the demo by others like Steve Stevens etc pretty much sums it up lol
Now
Where should I run this beauty in my signal chain??

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Staff member
That's awesome!

The only experience I have w tape and Echoes was a Space Echo I had a while back. I kept it at the end of the chain in a true bypass loop bc I think tape Echoes have a great reverb quality to the repeats.

Just curious. How did you decide between the tube and solid state versions?

SI

^ There is only 1 SSTE, the higher end stuff Mike puts out he labels them under the 'Custom Shop'. I had one of the first when it came out and all the issues/drama that came with it. It was an awesome sounding delay but I ultimately moved it on as it was too much hassle for me. Also the way that all the issues were handled left a bad taste in my mouth, theres a massive thread about it if you are interested.

MRscratch

I think he modified the tape for both machines. Not sure how. I know he says that the cassettes are proprietary.

SI

I think he modified the tape for both machines. Not sure how. I know he says that the cassettes are proprietary.
Yeah he modified the ETC-2 tape so that it actually worked with the SSTE lol. The previous model didn't and was part of the problem

Frosted Glass

I know he says that the cassettes are proprietary.
See, this would make me very wary. Who knows how long Fulltone will continue to support this machine? Tape is lovely and all, but I sold my Space Echo last year principally because I could see a day where you just can't get the tape any more..

MRscratch

See, this would make me very wary. Who knows how long Fulltone will continue to support this machine? Tape is lovely and all, but I sold my Space Echo last year principally because I could see a day where you just can't get the tape any more..
Someone will make it. Or reload the cassette

Scott_F

I have two old 60's EP-2's and a mid-2016 SSTE. I have had a lot of fun with the new unit. It's quiet as can be. I had one issue with the tape cartridge but I believe it quite possibly was my fault. The 2nd cartridge has been flawless.

Mike had a lot of tape. I'm not worried about him running out. These tapes last quite a while IF you clean the machine regularly. At least every 30 days.

I'm quite happy with mine. I don't need three machines. But can't part with any of them.

MRscratch

I have two old 60's EP-2's and a mid-2016 SSTE. I have had a lot of fun with the new unit. It's quiet as can be. I had one issue with the tape cartridge but I believe it quite possibly was my fault. The 2nd cartridge has been flawless.

Mike had a lot of tape. I'm not worried about him running out. These tapes last quite a while IF you clean the machine regularly. At least every 30 days.

I'm quite happy with mine. I don't need three machines. But can't part with any of them.
Mine came without any instructions on how to clean it though. Where do i get the info?

Trending Topics