New Fulltone Fatboost 2

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jazzgear, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Jazzgear

Jazzgear Supporting Member

Ugh! This thing is a major tone sucker...robs all the bass from your tone...even when turning the bass knob all the way up. This thing sounds nothing like the previous 2 versions of the Fatboost. Fulltone needs to take this thing back to its roots.

I paid $144.....ugh!

2. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

Thanks for the heads up Jazzgear!!

3. george4908

george4908 Member

I always liked, and still use, the first edition of the Fatboost. Never felt the need to go to the newer ones.

4. d-b

d-b Member

I had the same results two weeks ago with my new one. No lows (I thought they shipped me a skinnyboost instead) and way compressed! Mine went right back and I got a Super Duper 2in1 and it is perfect for me.

former member of BFFI (Blind Fulltone Followers International)
    db

5. Jazzgear

I'd like to get my hands on the original version -- and that would be the one where the gain button is the small one in the middle below the two larger buttons.

6. Chadley

Chadley Member

I love my older version 2 alot (small tone knob in middle). It is a great sounding boost/low gain pedal.

7. alnico2

alnico2 Member

Guess I'll stick with the Bad Bob for now...

8. Jazzgear

Yes, it does sound great..though the first version IMO is better. If I can't track down an original one, I will gladly buy the v2.

9. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Mod hat on.

please do not speculate about things regarding businesses that you have just 'heard' things. If you can't back it up, please don't promote the information.

10. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

Here's what's going on:
    The problem with the latest Fatboost 2's is that Fulltone had decided to lower the value of a capacitor that controls the range of the bass trimmer. Apparently, they thought there was too much bass response even at low settings of the bass knob. The cap in question is C5. (All components are clearly labeled on the PCB.) Fulltone changed C5 from .047uF to .01uF starting with serial # 297. I think they went overboard on this.

So, I exchanged emails with a tech at Fulltone (Tsuguto) on this issue, and he suggested trying a .022uF cap instead of .01uF (but not going back to the original .047uF). I did this, and it really made a difference. Now I can get about the same bass response as the bypassed signal with the bass knob set to around 11:00. If you have the ability to do this mod yourself, or have a friend or competent tech that can do it (it's fairly quick and easy to do, and doesn't require removing the PCB) I highly recommend trying it.

Also, I think the Fatboost 2 is a much better sounding (and feeling) pedal when powered at around 18 volts. It's still not a super high-headroom clean machine, like some other boosters, but, at lower gain settings, it does sound very warm and juicy, with an immediate tactile response.

11. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I"ve been debating over wether to get the new one Fat Boost 2 or the silver one that's been out a few years. I don't want the RC though everyone loves the RC.

12. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

The new fatboost 2 is really sweet but not as fat as the old one. I use it with strats and teles and leave it on all of the time. Though it may have lost some fatness... it makes up for it as a sweet overdrive. Crank the gain and its one of the nicest low gain transparent overdrives out there. Sounds like a tweed amp cranked with sag!

13. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

So following tradition we'll soon have a Fatboost v2.2

14. dano73327

dano73327 Member

I understand wanting to improve your designs but it seems like they aren't interested in hearing when people don't like the new "improved" version. I tried a friends OCD v2 and loved it so I bought the V3 and sent it back. Not sure what the V4 sounds like but it seems like the general consensus on the boards is that most people like the v2 best.

I'm off the fulltone train and trying new things now. I've had their Deja 2 pedal for several years now but have found other better sounding vibe units out there so am going to sell the deja 2.

15. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I liked the first one a lot but just wish the mid hump was toned down the slightest bit so I bought the second one hoping for just that. Turned out to be one of the worst pedals I've ever played, but of course for the right person it could be great.

16. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

yeah.....I guess they changed the FB-2 at some point, because I have an early one (#23), and it's nice and warm and juicy....PLENTY of bass, even with the knob @ 10-11 oClock.

I'm not keeping it, but that's only because I don't use ANY boosters...........I prefer a comp. I think it sounds and FEELS terrific, though.

17. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

While each OCD version has its adherents, I don't get the impression (at least not from reading TGP posts) that v2 is the most popular. Having tried v1 through v3, I would say there's been an overall improvement in sound quality. I'm interested in trying v4, to see if the trend has continued.

I think Fulltone should not be criticized for trying to make ongoing improvements to their products. (But I would have to agree they screwed up this time with the Fatboost 2. What were they thinking - something with that name which only can thin-out the tone?)

I think owners of earlier versions of Fulltone products should not feel they need to justify not upgrading if they are very happy with what they've got.

18. johngreene

johngreene Member

In my opinion it doesn't lose anything, it just allows what wasn't there before to come through. I put one of these in front of my blackfaced 73 deluxe reverb and it sounded like something that should have always been there. I -love- my deluxe reverb. The tones that come from it just sound incredible as it is, but the FB2 took it somewhere I didn't know it was capable of. When I put the FB2 in front of my deluxe reverb, it takes it up a notch. I didn't think it was possible, but one I tried it, my beloved deluxe reverb does not sound as 'awsome' as it did before I put the FB2 in front of it. There was no bass 'loss', no 'sucking of tone', it just made it sound 'better'. A lot.

19. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

I have one of the first FAT BOOST 2 to be shipped in Italy. To be honest I can't find any tone sucking...It's very warm and natural even if I must say that it does colour your tone a little even at the most neutral setting. This can be bad or good depending on personal taste. of course. I didn't want the RC because it felt too cold to my ears. The FB2 adds a very classic/vintage flavour and stacks great. It can also do a very light OD, very natural and organic. Don't know if it's the best but it's absolutely no garbage IMO. I use it with a fender clone if it can help you.

20. axe2grind

axe2grind Senior Member

snip

+1

I totally agree , I've had a FB1 on my board since '01 and while it is a really great pedal I much prefer the FB2 it still has everything I love about the 1 but with less compression at the higher settings and more overtones which I really love . To me it seems perfectly voiced and it's built like a tank .