New Fulltone OCD, v 2.0. The BRAND new one.

AkrW

Silver Supporting Member
True - I just don't want to slam it that hard. I've been just leaving my older OCD on all the time and even with it's output down around 8 or 9 o'clock I can only turn my amp on 2 or 3 without being way too loud. I'd like some kind of happy medium where pedals don't interfere with my usual amp volume setting of anywhere from half to all the way. It's very difficult to use any type of pedal when the amp is up over half.

AkrW

Silver Supporting Member
Bought it. Thought it was really dark compared to my V1.3 and 1.4. Even with the tone up, it couldnt match the other ones. And yes I did tried the internal switch.Brought it back.

Cue Zephyr

I personally feel like that's where 90% of the tone is....slamming the input of the amp. Any time I've ever tried to run pedals at "unity"...it just layed there and sounded like....a pedal. :) I feel like hitting the amp harder helps to integrate the pedal od with the amp a bit better. My .02
OUr guitar player has a V1.2 (I'm the keyboard player) and does this with his Supro (or anything else he plugs into) and I really don't like it. However, I stack mine into an clipping pre-amp and that's where it sounds great to my ears. In my rig, the mids stay there, or slightly decrease and a lot of higher harmonics come out. Bass tightens only marginally. I have a very middy rig so it's okay.

fuze

Hmm I thought I read the newer one was brighter
I do need to really spend more time with mine; I've got a couple years old OCD (version, 1.7 I guess?); and I just picked up the new (v2.0) too. I didn't find it dark or muddy; but I didn't really care for the overly bright settings of the previous one, so that maybe just personal taste.

I haven't gigged it yet, but I did let my buddy use it at a recent gig; we stacked it in front of his other OCD, not sure which version he has, ran both at 9v with Voodoo Lab power, and a 2B boost/buffer at 18v at end of chain before amp. So, well buffered on front and back end - that I suppose helps! Recorded the show multitrack (Line6 M20d mixer) and listening to his raw track, I have no clue when the new OCD is on or off; so it's not much use, other than as an example of the new OCD in the signal chain. His track did sound fine, wasn't like he kicked in anything that suddenly made it sound muddy, but like I said - not a critical test in any way that would be informative.

I think trying to record both pedals with the same settings isn't as informative, as one pedal will always sound better. Dial in the new pedal; dial in the old pedal, make them both sound good, then compare the setting difference. That would be informative!

I got distracted from digging to deep with the new OCD, because I got a Keeley D&M at the same time, and it's really quite stellar! I've found a new appreciation for the difference between running a cleanish boost into a dirt pedal, vs. running the clean boost after the dirt. Being able to toggle so easily on the D&M, so good!!

It makes me want to stack boosts before and after an OCD; something like:
Timmy > OCD > clean boost. I've got a Keeley Super Phat stacked into the v1.7 OCD now on my loop switcher board; using the v2.0 OCD on the other board, in order to make use of it's buffer.

I also dig the Fulltone 2B as an after dirt boost, more than a pre dirt boost.
Though, it's also buffered, so might be buffer overload to do the OCD buffer into the 2B buffer. Though, it would make it brighter / less muddy, presumably. OCD set to low gain, at 18v as a post dirt semi-clean boost is also awesome, since it adds tonal character - the 2B however is just more louder! It has a treble limiter, but it's very very subtle.

Anyway - back to the new OCD.. I also tested the OCD v2.0 vs just a cable run (with OCD off) and the buffer is certainly enhancing treble and brightness,. vs just the cable plugged into the amp, or through true bypass pedals.

Again, many other people say it's dark; so I guess I prefer it darker than before? I be confused! But, I have time starting tomorrow after work to make some noise at home, and this weekend, so will give it a more critical listen and report back.

For what it's worth, there are also these threads:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/ocd-v2-0.1837310/

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/new-fulltone-ocd-out-today.1837111/
Anymore thoughts on the new OCD after playing it more?

Adel2

Hmm I thought I read the newer one was brighter

Anymore thoughts on the new OCD after playing it more?
Picked up the new one this past week and put it through one rehearsal, one gig and a fair bit of basement practicing and experimenting. This is the first time I've ever tried the OCD and I'm loving it! It is certainly touch responsive and versatile but the biggest surprise was how well it produced retro Rockabilly and 50s' type tones at low gain settings. The only drag is that the tone knob doesn't seem to do much at all - not a huge deal for me as it still sounds great and I have other pedals to brighten things up when I want.

SingleMalt

I personally feel like that's where 90% of the tone is....slamming the input of the amp. Any time I've ever tried to run pedals at "unity"...it just layed there and sounded like....a pedal. :) I feel like hitting the amp harder helps to integrate the pedal od with the amp a bit better. My .02
I completely agree. I find that I want to add more dirt to the signal without more volume, but unless I increase the level as well, the tone is flat and anemic and the amp doesn't sing. my .02 plus your .02 = a nickel when adjusted for inflation.

mcuguitar

Gold Supporting Member
It would be nice to get some more opinions on the V2 version of the OCD pedal. I had the 1.7 version and I couldn't get along with the 'pop' from the footswitch. I just picked up the new one, and I have a few gigs this week, so I'll have a better idea of how it gels with my 1971 Marshall JMP (love that amp).

As most of you are already aware, Fulltone released an updated OCD with switchable 'enhanced bias,' an input buffer, and a revoiced eq. I haven't seen much of anyone talking about them yet so I'll start.

I have an older OCD (1.4, or 'version 4,' as it's commonly known). I love it. It's been becoming more of my main drive lately. I use it mainly with really low gain settings. Gorgeous. I was curious about the update/upgrade so I ordered one. These are the differences/my impressions:

WAY more output.
Much woofier.
Less dramatic a difference between hp/lp settings
Just as dynamic, if not more so (though not a night and day difference)

All in all I'm pretty disappointed. It's too muddy, there's not enough range in the tone control, the cleanish jangle of the low gain settings on previous versions is almost gone. They said they reduced the bass and focused the mids but that's not what I hear. It's thick and loud but very loose and i can't imagine it cutting through anything, and I'm playing a Jazzmaster through a Savage Glas 30.

There are sounds in there I like and maybe others have different experiences but to me the 1.4 sounds WAY better. Seems Fulltone whiffed on this one.
Same findings on my end comparing the 1.7 with v2. Even less mids in v2 which I thought was the biggest mistake in v1.7 that Fulltone wanted to address.
Sold my v2 after doing extensive comparison.

V1.7 has a clearer tone. Tighter bass and works best at low gain. Awesome when pushed with a midrangy drive like a tuberscreamer, klon or an ACbooster or BB preamp. Absolutely killer definition, gain structure and ideal compression.

Jabby92

I don't know how you guys are using the OCD but it sounds awesome at higher volumes with an overdriven amp. I think too many people expect it to work like TS, its not that kind of pedal. You can sort of use it like a TS but its really not the same. I love V2, the notes higher up the neck sound way fuller compared to previous versions, not thin at all. I don't find it muddy either, on 18V mode the headroom and dynamics are fantastic. I have zero complaints with V2 through my setup, its a phenomenal OD and will be on my board for years to come.

iama

I love the V2. I had a 1.4. Loved that a lot. Bought the V2. Definately has tons of volume. Very robust by comparison. My nephew bought one after I told him my impressions and he bought one. Loves it, says it's a game changer. Highly recommended.

Trending Topics