• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

New fuzz pedal help

flavaham

I've had my sound pretty much dialed in for a while now. I use two TS9s as my main source of dirt. The chain is basically this:

Wah -> Boss Tuner -> EHX Qtron (rarely used but good for some Garcia stuff) -> TS9 -> TS9 (Analogman Mod) -> Joyo Compressor -> Strymon Lex (Leslie sim) -> Strymon Timeline -> TC Elec Trinity Reverb -> Amp

There's also a vocal harmony pedal at the beginning of the chain but it's just a guitar thru.

I recently bought an MXR M225 Submachine because I wanted to introduce a Fuzz tone for some heavier things plus some octave options. I liked every demo I saw of it so I grabbed one. I'm having the following problems:

First off all, I put it before the TS9s in the chain. They are off for the most part when I use it.

The volume difference is way off. I have the volume maxed at this point on the Fuzz but it's still drastically more quiet than the rest of the rig including totally clean.

The Fuzz itself is all treble. For my main tone, the EQ on my Preamp is basically treble at 8, mids around 4-5 and bass around 2. This could be part of the issue...but for cutting the mix and working with my other pedals I'm getting good results with that. When I rolled the treble back for this pedal it basically destroyed my main sound.

So, is the Fuzz in the wrong spot in the pedal chain? Do I need a buffer somewhere (and how does that work??)? Any other suggestions??

I like some of the sounds I'm getting but I can't have one pedal dictate tone. Please advise!
Thanks!

flavaham

Do I need something like this? I'm pretty sure this fuzz pedal is true bypass as I think the Strymon pedals may be as well. The Analogman TS9 I'm pretty sure is as well.

So, if so, where in the chain would the buffer and the new Fuzz go?

My question if this is the case would be, if I put a buffer before the TS9s AND the Fuzz, how will that help the volume issue??

...I don't know.
:/

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
Do I need something like this? I'm pretty sure this fuzz pedal is true bypass as I think the Strymon pedals may be as well. The Analogman TS9 I'm pretty sure is as well.

My question if this is the case would be, if I put a buffer before the TS9s AND the Fuzz, how will that help the volume issue??

...I don't know.
Try the new fuzz first in the chain.

-bEn r.

raj007

Silver Supporting Member
Fuzz right after the Wah could be good--and likely buying a "better" Fuzz pedal.

ScreaminFX makes a pedal with a built in buffer in order to fit seamlessly w Wah pedals, etc. and it's very reasonably priced. It's their 1954 Fuzz, I believe.

tonewoody

Try putting the Comp before your dirt. You are likely hitting the comp with too much gain and your signal is getting squashed. I'd go Comp/TS9/Submachine. Try less gain and volume boost from each individual pedal as well. Think about your gain staging and how each pedal reacts to being boosted by the next etc. Maybe lose one of the TS-9's as an experiment. I don't think that your issue is buffer related.

tubekingsley

I've had my sound pretty much dialed in for a while now. I use two TS9s as my main source of dirt. The chain is basically this:

Wah -> Boss Tuner -> EHX Qtron (rarely used but good for some Garcia stuff) -> TS9 -> TS9 (Analogman Mod) -> Joyo Compressor -> Strymon Lex (Leslie sim) -> Strymon Timeline -> TC Elec Trinity Reverb -> Amp

There's also a vocal harmony pedal at the beginning of the chain but it's just a guitar thru.

I recently bought an MXR M225 Submachine because I wanted to introduce a Fuzz tone for some heavier things plus some octave options. I liked every demo I saw of it so I grabbed one. I'm having the following problems:

First off all, I put it before the TS9s in the chain. They are off for the most part when I use it.

The volume difference is way off. I have the volume maxed at this point on the Fuzz but it's still drastically more quiet than the rest of the rig including totally clean.

The Fuzz itself is all treble. For my main tone, the EQ on my Preamp is basically treble at 8, mids around 4-5 and bass around 2. This could be part of the issue...but for cutting the mix and working with my other pedals I'm getting good results with that. When I rolled the treble back for this pedal it basically destroyed my main sound.

So, is the Fuzz in the wrong spot in the pedal chain? Do I need a buffer somewhere (and how does that work??)? Any other suggestions??

I like some of the sounds I'm getting but I can't have one pedal dictate tone. Please advise!
Thanks!
If you placed the MXR Sub after your buffered Boss tuner, that could be causing the problem. If you run guitar > fuzz > amp, does the fuzz still fail to reach unity volume ? If so, then you have a defective pedal. I wouldn't think a modern build like your Sub, would be super sensitive to buffers, but it's possible. Also try guitar > wah > MXR Sub, to see if the wah is having an adverse effect on the fuzz. If it does, the Sub must come first in the chain. It's possible that the fuzz isn't playing nice with some other turned on pedal later on in the chain, such as your compressor, but that is probably not the case- I'm sure you've tried the fuzz as as the only stomped on pedal. You don't need another buffer, you already have 3, plus two Strymon that can be set for buffer, or true bypass

Last edited:

Onemileguy

I would try Fuzz near the front, and use it to stack with your other drives to achieve your desired fuzz times. This might help solve your volume issues as well

tubekingsley

...I don't know.
The AM TS9's are buffered, and the Strymon's can be if you set them for buffered bypass. A buffer before certain pedals, will help with a volume drop. But, your Sub shouldn't need a buffer before it- chances are, it's the buffered Boss tuner that's causing the problem, or the pedal isn't functioning properly

tubekingsley

Fuzz right after the Wah could be good--and likely buying a "better" Fuzz pedal.

ScreaminFX makes a pedal with a built in buffer in order to fit seamlessly w Wah pedals, etc. and it's very reasonably priced. It's their 1954 Fuzz, I believe.
The 1954 is a good pedal, but it is equipped with a fuzz friendly style buffer (which are typically installed inside wah pedals, i.e. Foxrox in an RMC) which is different than a standard buffer- so not really applicable here.

Last edited:

flavaham

Ok, a lot to think about here. I'll start some trouble shooting ASAP. First, Fuzz only into amp. Then wah on both sides. Go from there I guess.

As for buffered bypass on Strymon pedals, I'll google it when I get those back in the chain but 2 questions - 1. How do I set them for that and does it affect the tone if I'm using them buffered but don't need it?? I guess I'm asking how do I know if I need to set it that way?

Thanks again guys!

KnowTalent

Just SAY NO to "Creamy" Distortion

Thanks!
I have that Fuzz and find it one of the least responsive fuzzi I have experienced. The series/parallel suboctave is the only reason I keep it.

Try the Dunlop Band of Gypsy's Mini Fuzz with the white knobs :aok

flavaham

Ok, I ran just the pedal from guitar to amp and it was perfect. I can get unity volume with the pedal's volume knob at about 12 o'clock. When I put ANYTHING on either side of it, it's losing volume. Can't get unity.

My first TS9 is just a touch of dirt and is set for almost perfect unity with a slight boost. The second boosts a little more and is intended for soloing. I have taken the vocal pedal, wah, qtron and tuner out of the chain to see if that helps (but really, is like to put these back in the chain) and it's no good. This is really kind of a bummer. When I run just the Fuzz I really like some of the sounds I'm getting. It's clear and has definition. When it's in the chain though...it's just a shell of a sound. Well, it's noticeably quieter I guess which totally defeats the purpose of it. I intended to use it for situations where energy is really high and I can get the octaves to add some big depth to the jam.

Anyhow, help is appreciated but as of now I'm leaning towards apprehensively boxing this thing back up and sending it back...

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
Ok, I ran just the pedal from guitar to amp and it was perfect. I can get unity volume with the pedal's volume knob at about 12 o'clock. When I put ANYTHING on either side of it, it's losing volume. Can't get unity.

My first TS9 is just a touch of dirt and is set for almost perfect unity with a slight boost. The second boosts a little more and is intended for soloing. I have taken the vocal pedal, wah, qtron and tuner out of the chain to see if that helps (but really, is like to put these back in the chain) and it's no good. This is really kind of a bummer. When I run just the Fuzz I really like some of the sounds I'm getting. It's clear and has definition. When it's in the chain though...it's just a shell of a sound. Well, it's noticeably quieter I guess which totally defeats the purpose of it. I intended to use it for situations where energy is really high and I can get the octaves to add some big depth to the jam.

Anyhow, help is appreciated but as of now I'm leaning towards apprehensively boxing this thing back up and sending it back...
Send it back explaining the problem.

Maybe they have a workaround that will fix it, maybe they don't.

-bEn r.

flavaham

Send it back explaining the problem.

Maybe they have a workaround that will fix it, maybe they don't.

-bEn r.
Yeah, that's my plan. Pretty bummed to be honest. Haven't bought a pedal in a while. I was looking forward to adding some fuzz to my sound.

On that note, has anyone used an Analogman SunFace? I'm thinking that I might go that route. Find a good fuzz and then add weirdness on the side...
Thanks guys!

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
have you tried a buffer directly following the fuzz?

Fat50

If you're looking for a fuzz, assuming the one you have isn't to your liking, look into the Buffalo FX Patriot. IME a lot of fuzz pedals don't play nice with others, but my Patriot has been incredible.

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah, that's my plan. Pretty bummed to be honest. Haven't bought a pedal in a while. I was looking forward to adding some fuzz to my sound.

On that note, has anyone used an Analogman SunFace? I'm thinking that I might go that route. Find a good fuzz and then add weirdness on the side...
Thanks guys!
The Sunface is really good but it's sound varies by transistor type so you'd need to choose which one you'd like to get it with.

Also check out the Clusterfuzz by function Fx. Very versatile and there are some bargains on used ones.

-bEn r.

flavaham

Shop Basic Audio! Very stackable high-output, high quality FUZZ of many varieties!
Checking out the Gnarly Fuzz from these guys. How well does that clean up with volume knob roll back and/or light articulation? Looking for something that will be quite responsive.

flavaham

The Sunface is really good but it's sound varies by transistor type so you'd need to choose which one you'd like to get it with.

Also check out the Clusterfuzz by function Fx. Very versatile and there are some bargains on used ones.

-bEn r.
Good to know! Thanks!! I'll look into this stuff. I'm really a noob when it comes to Fuzz. I've been an OD guy forever.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom