New G&L Doheny

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jess 1971, Aug 29, 2017.

1. peterjh85

peterjh85 Member

This could easily be rewired for a master volume and individual pickup tone controls right?

2. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I suppose you could. Seems like a backwards move to me.

mikebat, HERSCHEL and Starshine like this.
  3. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Member

Yes, you may need to change the bass pot as it's not of a typical value.

Have you tried the G&L PTB system ? It's what makes a Legacy or S500 so versatile.

4. peterjh85

peterjh85 Member

Thanks for the info. I haven't tried the PTB system. I'm not opposed to it, but I liked the idea of being able to dial in specific tone settings per each pickup. Very tempting nonetheless!

5. Gries Amps

Gries Amps Supporting Member

At some point G&L will add "Doheny" on the headstock decal. These early ones will become known as "Noheny(s)" and will be far more valuable to collectors. A good reason to buy one now.

6. kebotrans

kebotrans Gold Supporting Member

I agree. A Trem that is actually functional and stays in tune on an offset just like the Suhr JM Pro I have. I love it. Can anyone give a good description of the pickup tone?

7. Musicroom

Musicroom Supporting Member

The pickups can sound thick or thin depending on what you’re after. Very versatile. I would describe my favorite setting to more like a strat but richer. There’s an ever so slight breakup along the edges of the sound when attacked even on a clean setting. It is spectacular. I’ve played it through a blackstar stack, a older fender deluxe reverb and a fender tweed. Perfect fit with any/all of those amps. Although my favorite is a tweed.

The Doheny covers a lot of guitar territory. This guitar is smooth to play. Bends are effortless - very nice neck. Last but not least, love the weight of the empress wood. BTW, I got the hard tail option.

HERSCHEL, Slevin and kebotrans like this.
  8. kebotrans

kebotrans Gold Supporting Member

So if you wanted to order one of these like you want it who would you guys suggest? I am in Georgia, but I do not know of any good G&L dealers. Can someone recommend a good trustworthy one that will also treat me right? :)

9. LonesomeCraig

LonesomeCraig Member

PM'd you

10. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

I could be wrong, but I think you can custom order G&Ls with a 7.5", 9.5" or 12.5" radius: http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/usa/options/guitar.asp. I've never custom ordered anything from G&L, but my impression is that they'll build you whatever you want within the range of specs that they can accommodate.

11. johnetone

johnetone Member

12. paulitk

paulitk Member

Oh wow, he inspired the Upton Sinclair book that "There Will Be Blood" was based off. Crazy.

johnetone likes this.
  13. johnetone

johnetone Member

14. Slevin

Slevin Silver Supporting Member

I went through axe palace in Boston. Fill out the order form and if there's any extra customization fill it out in the comments box. I did something simple like make the legacy and g&l font white on the headstock. But simple things like that (if you want the g&l logo bigger etc) are doable with any g&l.

From the day I ordered my legacy til it showed up to my house was less than 3 weeks. They were super easy to deal with and got me exactly what I wanted.

15. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

My original post was a joke, but I'm glad people keep answering me at different points of the thread. It continues to bring up what a terrible name for a guitar this is, and reminds me not to buy one.

johnetone likes this.
  16. johnetone

johnetone Member

@Help!I'maRock! But have you ever heard Pico & Sepulveda by Felix Figueroa? You gotta check it out! First line...

17. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

That's entirely true; you can get 7.5, 9.5, or 12 now, though as with all manufacturers, those stated radii are flatter than you'll actually receive. The 12" G&Ls I've worked on since they went to the "standard" 9.5" radius actually measured closer to 10" than 12". My point was that, by going to a "standard" 9.5" radius unless you special order differently, G&L is becoming more of a "me to, see we make strats to!" Fender copy, instead of it's own thing. Part of the attraction to G&Ls for me decades ago, and for a lot of other G&L players, was that, while they could cop the "fender" sound, the egonomics were decidedly different, and in a lot of our opinions, better. "Sounds like a strat, plays like a '60 LP, stays in tune when you use the bar, sign me up".

At some point though, when it's just a fender with a better trem and less resale, why go there. With some minor changes, they could be competition for Suhr, Anderson, etc, but instead they're making changes to be a 'me to' version of FMIC.

twoheadedboy and Starshine like this.
  18. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

Aside from going to a standard 9.5" radius, what did they change that made them closer to Fender?

19. shane88

shane88 Member

tldr

they look good to me

20. John C

John C Supporting Member

The "standard" neck shape is now something they call the "Modern Classic" - which is a modern C with that is 1 11/16" wide at the nut, is .820" deep at the first fret, and .870" deep at the 12th fret. Which is the same spec (along with the 9.5" standard radius) as Fender American Standard necks.

Many other things took them closer to Fender: the body shapes migrated to the Fender Strat and Tele shape (although the ASATs are now back to being thinner than a Tele - the way the did them in Leo's era). They have gone to a 4-bolt neck from Leo & George's 3-bolt design. They have stopped using the bi-cut neck construction (where the neck was split lenghtwise for the truss rod) and have gone to a more standard separate fingerboard construction (where the truss rod is inserted under the fingerboard).