New gear for a newbie: opinions sought

Jethro_Dull

While I have played guitar for 39 years, I just bought my first bass, a Spector NS 2002B. I paid $165.00 including shipping and no case. Question: Is this a legitimate beginner's bass or did I hose myself? I have put a bid in for a Crate MXB10 for $50.00 including shipping (I'm sure the price will go up). Questions: Will the Crate be a good beginner's amp (for not much over $50)? Any suggestions for other low-end, inexpensive amps?

Thanks,

Jeff

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Low end basses have been excellent instruments for some time if they are in good shape and set up well.
Any bass amp with more power and more/bigger speakers is better than a little one (with few exceptions). You must know that by now?

gumtown

The bass will be OK, the amp though hmmm, 10 watts for bass won't get too far.
I will be OK for home practice, but certainly nowhere near enogh to jam with a drummer.
For some perspective, I gig with a 400watt bass amp and minimum 4x10 (usually 8x10) to keep up with the guitarist's 50 watt amp.

Jethro_Dull

I really only need it to back up the guitar playing I intend to record for youtube and or soundcloud. If it doesn't work out, I'll sell the stuff and use free synthetic music for backing.

freedom's door

Look into the Fender Bronco 40. Nice sounds for practicing, and you can USB direct to the computer for recording.

bassestkkm

I would even just use a DI and depending on the software, Protools, Logic, or Garageband I would use the bass amp options they have. You can get a pretty good sound and to anyone else they'll never know.

roomware

yeah, if you're going to record your bass playing, a DI (tech21?) would be more than enough. It's even a lot more trouble to get a decent tone recording a bass amp!

p.j.

The ZT Lunchbox is great for bass and keyboards as well as guitar. It is small and rated at 200 watts. They are not too expensive used. Might be something to check out?

PJ