1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

New Gear models coming from IK

Discussion in 'Builder's & Retailer's Forum' started by Brian @ IK, May 24, 2011.

1. Brian @ IK

Brian @ IK Member

We're getting ready to release some new gear models very soon. Here's a look at what we've been up to...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check our Facebook for the latest pics and info.

2. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

Is this what I think? A hardware version?.......not just an interface..

3. Brian @ IK

Brian @ IK Member

Allow me to clarify... these are photos taken from the modeling process.
    We acquire the real gear (usually vintage), take it apart (very carefully) and measure each component. Then we build a detailed digital model of the gear, and then fine tune the response until our software is indistinguishable from the original hardware in blind listening tests.

And then we try to figure out how to reassemble the hardware... :D

4. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

ahhhhhhh....Ok I've get it completely wrong. I've thought you were teasing us with some actual hardware stuff from IK...Sorry!!!

5. 1wheel

1wheel Member

Brian,
    I'm wondering about the flat head screws and the drawn sheet metal housing for the octal device.. strange hardware mix...

and what are the 2/3 pin devices... I've seen lots of strange parts in my days/years/decades... that is a new one... (hint, I design electronics for a day job... for 40years..)

Pete

6. Guitar Vilain

Guitar Vilain Member

Is that a solid state replacement for a tube rectifier? What about the rack mount thing, is it a compressor, a preamp or a washing machine control panel? :D

7. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

Nice! I didn't actually realise that you model it down to the component level!

Looking forward to what's coming up...

8. Brian @ IK

Brian @ IK Member

Yes, we do component level modeling. A lot of developers make similar claims, but often it turns out it's based on schematics and off-the-shelf algorithms only. We actually take real world measurements of the original hardware, which we must acquire (sometimes at great expense) such as with these highly coveted vintage units.

9. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

Ah...great. I can't wait for the Dumble models to come out soon then... :D

10. Brian @ IK

Brian @ IK Member

Here's another look at that component, Pete. This will give you some context.
    This is a key element to this particular piece of gear. It's what puts the magic in what it does...

[​IMG]

11. WesKuhnley

WesKuhnley Member

Thats a T4B...in an LA-2A. The comp that's open in the first post is an 1176...which version if I may ask? It looks fairly new.

12. Brian @ IK

Brian @ IK Member

With neither confirming nor denying what the units are, both are vintage original issue units. You can tell by the circuit paths in the first photo. Reproduction units have clean board assemblies, not hand etched as this one does... and this particular mystery unit we modeled has a Class A amplifier, low noise circuitry, and switchable voltage on the transformer.

13. ksandvik

ksandvik Member

How do you take into account the variations of old components like capacitors that dry and change characteristics over time? Isn't that just a futile attempt to capture a certain point of a component's lifetime?

14. Brian @ IK

Brian @ IK Member

We only model units that are in excellent condition. These are typically units that are, or have been, used in some of the top recording facilities in the world, such as the Calrec UA-8000 "Polar" desk, originally from Abbey Road Studios, that makes up the foundation of T-RackS, or one of the few remaining Fairchild 670s still in use that we tracked down to model for the Vintage Compressor.

Many people believe the mellowing effect of age is a key component to the special sonic character of many vintage units. It isn't something we could engineer out when we model these units. Nor would we want to.

15. Brian @ IK

Brian @ IK Member