New George L convert

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by memphisrain, Aug 17, 2005.

1. memphisrain

memphisrain Member

Just wired up my rig with George L's .255 cable. I have to say there was quite a difference. Not night and day but definately quite a bit. I compare it to putting new strings on a guitar. It just sounds "fresh" like when you change old strings out.

Good source for them here:

JMI Music

Super fast shipping and they're really not much more than a standard cord you would get from the local shop, and definately cheaper than Monster Cables and the like.

Just thought I would share my $0.02 for anyone who hasn't tried them.

mR

2. Rockin J

Rockin J Member

I use GL's all the way from the guitar to the amp. I first bought the pedal board kit a few years ago and then bought some of the fatter cable. I dont see any need to try other cables anymore. The GL's work perfect for me.

3. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

My entire pedalboard and rack cabling is George Ls. Excellent sound. My only gripe is the size of the plugs. If they were half as large, I could fit at least one more pedal onto my board!

4. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

I think Im finally done with George L's
    Really loved them to start but find them very unreliable for my pedalboard, and I have gotten good at putting them together (tons of practice).
    Also find them to be a little brighter than most cables. Not necessarily a bad thing, just different from others.

Im re-doing my pedalboard in Canare cables from Bayou when I get the $$.:)

5. memphisrain

memphisrain Member

Yeah, I'm a little concerned about the reliability of them. I've heard mixed things about them. We'll see.

As far as them being bright, I would think that means they are the lowest capacitance cable then. Seeing how caps roll of treble.

I'm just not sure I can justify the expense of the higher end cabels. I can't imagine that they are that much better... law of diminishing returns thing.

mR

6. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

I've been using George L's for over 2 years now and have never had one fail. That being said, I've seen three failures in as many months in other people's rigs. Go figure.

Best source I've found is Pro Audio Music.

7. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Member

+1 for George L's, in 5 years I've never had any problems.

8. MattB

MattB Member

I've had 36' and 38 connectors sitting in a box for 2 months! I can't wait to get them made and put them in place but I am still waiting on my Loooper Pedal to finalize my board. Damn thing should have been here a month ago.

Sorry, Rant over.
    -MattB

jimijimmyjeffy likes this.
  9. king-albert

king-albert Supporting Member

I use George L's only to chain effects on my pedalboard. No problems yet. I tried to use them from the board to the amp but it was just too bright and I could not get used to it. It sounds funny, but I need that little bit of tone loss to feel comfortable with my sound.

10. ABKB

ABKB Member

I use them on my pedalboard, never had an issue. I would use them all the way around but I have never trusted them when there is a lot of movement. I like the idea of some solder holding things together. But for my pedalboard, gave me back the high end I was lacking. And just love that I can cut them to whatever size I want.

11. memphisrain

memphisrain Member

I'm having problems with my sound cutting through with the whole band. I wonder if this will make the difference. We'll see...

mR

12. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

I use 'em on the pedalboard. I've had no problems. I use Planet Waves form the gutiar to the board and from the board to the amp. I'm thinking of replacing the PW's with Monster.

jeffhef

13. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

I've been using georgel's for around 6 yrs or so. they have a very high clarity about them. lately I've been wanting a darker sound, but it's probably because I'm only running through a 10 ft cable. highly recommend them.

14. Rick Towne

Rick Towne P&W--Praise & Western--on 6, 8 and 12 strings. Silver Supporting Member

I've used the same ones for more than ten years with no problems. They are purchased already put together. I expect them to last as long as I do. I prefer the thinner gauge.

15. downburst82

downburst82 Member

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    12 years!!

*just to clarify, my "12 years!!" Comment was due to the epicness of the bump...I have only been a mostly happy george l user for 4 years..I just REALLY wish they were smaller profile, thats the only reason ive ever looked for anything else.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  16. kyza

kyza Member

10+ years of 10+ George L's.
    All premature George L's failure I have ever seen were user error(including my own)
    If yours are failing is it because you aren't assembling them well... sorry :hide2

17. slybird

slybird Member

IME they are reliable in my rack, but not on my pedal board. They don't like to be moved or touched too often.

willyboy likes this.