1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

New germanium RCA transistors for the Analogman Sunface!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Montreal Fuzzman, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Montreal Fuzzman

Montreal Fuzzman Member

You should go take a look and listen on Mike's facebook or instagram page. He compared the new RCA against a Sunlion White Dot NKT275. They seems really cool! Nice bright cutting tone. Curious to try the new fuzz against my TI/UK. Maybe later! Can't wait to read and hear reviews.

Peace! :)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    56Tweed, J.B.H., friend33 and 8 others like this.
  2. Montreal Fuzzman

Montreal Fuzzman Member

Oh! I just saw that they don't have any additional cost on buyanalogman.com I might really grab one soon..

vintage66 likes this.
  3. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Saw the vid, interested. I wonder how similar to the Ti/Uk which I also have. I’ve been back and forth on buying the red dot but always thought the white dot might be more up my alley. Might have to bite on this one.
    Edit:
    ***ordered***

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  4. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

Just an FYI the red dot has a hard time cutting through in a full band setting with 2 other guitars outside your own. The 108 c rips even in a full band setting.

cam0122, johnetone and vintage66 like this.
  5. jkg

jkg Supporting Member

What is Mike’s Instagram page?

6. Jim Marciano

Jim Marciano Supporting Member

Analogmike_piera

jkg likes this.
  7. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals Gold Supporting Member

friend33, doralin, Windup 43 and 2 others like this.
  8. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals Gold Supporting Member

They’re actually low gain on Fuzz Factorys.

The circuit uses a silicon transistor as a boost.

So it has 3 transistors.

Zack uses negative ground usually.

These 4 are all positive ground.

71strat likes this.
  9. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

These RCA transistors were not used by us before. I think they were made in the 1960s, maybe in 1960 according to the "A" date code.

Some of these test with very low gain and would be awesome in a Fuzz Factory. Hmmm... our first Sun Faces had Z.Vex transistors which were too high, now I have some that are too low for me, I should contact Zach.

10. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

Sounds great in the video I saw. I’m digging the bright, cutting thing at the moment. My new to me Sunlion has GE 2N transistors and it’s totally blowing my mind how great it sounds. I’d love to hear one of you guys get one with the RCAs and report back

11. bernm

bernm Member

Thanks for the heads up - just ordered one!

Rogan1990 likes this.
  12. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I have to keep reminding myself that the red dot might not work for me. RCA on the way. I have a ‘70, but will probably get a silicon Sunface at some point but and the Dunlop Hendrix is also tempting. I wonder which Sunface is closest to it, assuming a Bc108 but there are several Bc109’s too.

13. Montreal Fuzzman

Montreal Fuzzman Member

The Hendrix is my favorite Silicon Fuzz Face! I might try a BC108 Analogman some days since I love my other Sunfaces...

vintage66 likes this.
  14. Peps

Peps Fuzz Magisterium Bishop Gold Supporting Member

I have a Creepyface and and a Black Cat OD-Fuzz with RCA trannies. Not sure if they’re the same as analogman’s, but according to the builders, they are from the 60s. They both sound truly amazing, not sure why the Black Cat is very under the radar. The creepy is one of my favorite FFs. Hard to read but it goes like this:
    Black Cat = RCA F F 581024B
    Creepy = RCA133 2N404 USAF VP FF 2B

I also had a Smitty Bender MkI, and one of the transistors was a RCA 2N212. It sounded fantastic.

15. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

I really liked the BC183 for leads, but I want to try a GE Sun Face.
    Going between the RCA and NKT Red Dot. Tough decisions! I'm afraid the NKT will be too wooly for me, but the clips all sound fantastic. RCA also sounds amazing.

Echoplexi likes this.
  16. urQuill

urQuill Member

What sort of pickups do you tend to use, Empros? I noticed you wrote you don’t play Strats ... I have a vintage-y Strat copy and an ES-335 with low-output PAF-style humbuckers and actually haven’t tried my NKT Sunface with the humbuckers ... I could try to do a clip for you, if that would help.

I got my NKT to see what the fuss was about and I love it, but if I was buying now, I’d try the pedal with RCAs. They’re cool, too! And I hope to try one with BC183s.

AceBSpankin likes this.
  17. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

Tele pickups, P90s and occasionally Humbuckers.
    The BC183 is great.

I'm really leaning towards the RCA though, I usually like a little extra cut with fuzz. Going to place an order soon.
    My curiosity in the NKT is mostly to see what the hype is, but the RCA sounds more like what I like.

Echoplexi, vintage66 and urQuill like this.
  18. Mcentee2

Mcentee2 Supporting Member

Can't see this on the AM Facebook page :(

I don't have an Instagram account, and it isn't obviously on YouTube yet.

Anywhere else I could find it?

19. vintage66

vintage66 Member

It’s in the red dot thread-the short video

20. urQuill

urQuill Member

The NKT is a stiff upcharge, especially right now with the exchange where itbis ... and it seems clear we all understand this thing that is so obvious it doesn’t need saying, but anyway ... the builder’s ear for fuzz and process for selecting the individual parts must be vastly more important than the part brands and no way is AM going to risk their reputation by putting out a fuzz that is anywhere less than great.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    timibucktwo and AceBSpankin like this.