1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

New germanium RCA transistors for the Analogman Sunface!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Montreal Fuzzman, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

Hell, I have 3 RCAs :dunno

jm9239 likes this.
  2. Drockafella80

Drockafella80 Supporting Member

[​IMG]

analogmike, Echoplexi and Matt Rain like this.
  3. Echoplexi

You know it!
    [​IMG]

AceBSpankin and Gallery like this.
  4. sheikyerbouti

sheikyerbouti Supporting Member

Hahaha...you're killing me!

So with the new pedal, I also have a clusterfuzz(awesome) and a hartman SFZ with NKT 275 and a BC108. I often think of sending it to Mike for the hell of it. Not sure what could be improved if anything.

5. cmc3000

cmc3000 Member

AnalogMike, will the rca transistors run out this year? How many years do you expect your rca stock to last? Any chance of the mullard sunface ever being made again?

6. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

I'm not Mike but, it depends on the demand I'm sure. Looks like the NKT Red Dots will disappear first. If you see the price of RCAs start to go up on the buyanalogman page then his stock is starting to draw down (I believe that is how it works). As to the other question, it is hard to imagine a large stock of mullard transistors being discovered again, but anything is possible. I certainly wouldn't hold off on a sunface purchase hoping that a box of mullards appears out of the ether.

turtleboy3 likes this.
  7. JumpinBradFlash

JumpinBradFlash Member

I have a somewhat vague recollection of @analogmike mentioning that he had quite large stash of these RCA transistors. But I’m not certain of that

analogmike likes this.
  8. freddy_von

freddy_von Member

After a long hiatus from purchasing any more Sunfaces, I’m finally back in the game. RCA ordered!

9. Echoplexi

Welcome back!

10. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

I bought a s^&load of the RCA, so hope to have them for at least a few years.

AceBSpankin, urQuill, cmc3000 and 6 others like this.
  11. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Supporting Member

That's good news for me since I missed the cv7005s.

12. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Wish I’d gotten in on a cv7005 myself. The RCA is so easy in a band mix so I can’t complain. I have a TI/UK too which is a bit gnarlier. The white dot seems like something I’d really like, hope Mike gets something else in that vein. I was hoping the RCA was but it’s it’s own thing.

Echoplexi likes this.
  13. RockAltVintBluesSoul

RockAltVintBluesSoul Supporting Member

TIUK is CV7003, right? How different is that to CV7005 pls?

Edit: I did mean CV7003, not CV1003 above. Have corrected initial post above. (And thanks for answer below @analogmike !)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  14. analogmike

TI/UK was CV7003, which is medium high gain like an OC44.

CV7005 is like an OC71, lower gain.

15. RockAltVintBluesSoul

RockAltVintBluesSoul Supporting Member

Any sense you can please give of where RCAs fit on this spectrum please? Are White Dot, CV 7005 and OC71 low gain, then Red Dot NKT or NKT, then RCAs and then TIUK/CV7003 at the top of the gain range? Or do RCAs come in gain ranges ranging from below NKT to above TIUK? Just trying to understand where the middle of RCAs might fit and the low and high gain versions compared to some others, if you can please help. Maybe this is not the right way to ask it, and it is more about the character of the "cut" vs simply the gain, but I am trying my best to think about it. Thank you so much!

16. analogmike

Our RCA come in ALL gain ranges, from super low (many are too low for a Sun Face) to super high (like silicon gain, someone posted some samples of one of the only ones out there). The basic RCA tone is different from the British transistors, the RCA are clearer sounding, brighter. They might have a bit higher noise floor, but best of all they don't change much at various temperatures.

17. bernm

bernm Member

@analogmike , is the super high gain RCA the highest gain germanium Sunface / transistor you offer?

18. Echoplexi

I’m the guy he mentioned having one of the Super High Gain RCAs. It’s pretty heavy sounding. I put it next to my normal gain Sunlion and the difference is obvious.

analogmike and jm9239 like this.
  19. jm9239

jm9239 Supporting Member

Which RCA do you like better? And how does the super high gain clean up?

20. bernm

bernm Member

Your clip of that one was really really good. I'm asking because I had been thinking about getting a silicon fuzz face, but now I'm wondering if a very high gain Ge pedal would do the trick. How does the super high gain Sunface compare to silicon FFs that you've tried?