1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

New germanium RCA transistors for the Analogman Sunface!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Montreal Fuzzman, Jun 4, 2018.

1. cmc3000

cmc3000 Member

That super rca cleaned up well, if I’m remembering correctly.. seeing as there are only a handful, I’d grab the super high rca over a silicon

Echoplexi likes this.
  2. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

I haven’t had the super high gain very long, and I’ve been on a Tone Bender kick lately so it’s been a little neglected, but it’s different enough to where I want to keep both. My normal gain one is a Sunlion so that’s my #1 and on my board. The Super is a bit noisier and doesn’t clean up quite as well if I remember, but it’s pretty burly, the normal one sounded thin after going back to it in an a/b.

I’m a big fan of all the RCAs, and this one is more uncommon than the silicon transistors, so I would go for one personally. I’ve had a bc183 Sunface which was great. For other makers I’ve had the blue Hendrix fuzz face with bc108s, and a lunar module mini deluxe. Both of those sounded great too, but I think the super high gain RCA is a little more unique. Like I said above though, I want to spend more time with it.

Edit: another thing is I’ve been meaning to try it with the fuzz backed off a bit, which is how I liked my silicon bc183. If they are similar gain to a silicon it would make sense to try it that way. I’m used to diming my germaniums.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  3. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

We also have a "HG Germanium" option, but the super high gain is the highest. But very rare, we don't see many RCAs that high.

Echoplexi likes this.
  4. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

I finally caved and ordered a low gain RCA Sun Face.

Echoplexi likes this.
  5. Echoplexi

Just went back and forth between my normal RCA Sunlion and Super High Gain RCA Sunface. I did end up preferring the SHG with the fuzz control backed off to about 2:00. Even at that setting it was still thicker and beefier sounding than the normal cranked. The normal seems brighter and more cutting, the SHG is bigger and chewier.

Both rule. I’m still in love with the RCA transistors in a Sunface/lion. This was with a Telecaster btw.

Marcos P., Ardour, Purplexi and 4 others like this.
  6. tonalvision

tonalvision Supporting Member

[​IMG] Sorry to jack this thread, but this seemed like a good place to ask. I have a Sunface from 2006. Does this actually have NKT 275?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  7. DaveLizmi

DaveLizmi Member

Your image isn't showing up.

8. tonalvision

Showing now?, tried photobucket.

9. DaveLizmi

DaveLizmi Member

1 pic is showing, just the bottom corner of the backplate. From that pic I can see that it's a Sun Lion (not a Sun Face), and it seems Alex at Analogman made some owner-requested (I'm guessing) transistor changes in Jan 2010, as he noted:

Changed the Sunface side from NKT275's to the Texas Instrument CV7003's they had in from '08 - '17 (not to be confused with the TI CV7005's nor the NKT CV7003's). And, changed the Beano tranny from a NKT275 to a 2N type.

If you get gut shots showing up, we can be more certain. But, that's what those notes would indicate.
    @analogmike would obviously be the one to chime in here, but I know he has his hands full with more important matters at the moment.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  10. tonalvision

Meant sunlion, have both

Thanks

DaveLizmi likes this.
  11. jm9239

jm9239 Supporting Member

Yep, it looks like the NKT275s were pulled out.

analogmike likes this.
  12. MrakS

MrakS Member

I'm looking at buying a Ge Sun face soon. At the moment I'm using a late 80s RM classic. I use it with a MV Marshall and I set it so it doesn't quite get sparkly clean when I turn down. I love the sound of the RM. Which Sun face do I want? Anybody have experience (ha!) with the RM and can compare?

13. tonalvision

Genius!

14. DaveLizmi

DaveLizmi Member

Do you want something similar to or different than your 80's Mayer ? Pretty sure those 80's Mayer Classic's used AC128's, but not 100% sure - do you know what's in yours?

15. jm9239

jm9239 Supporting Member

If it's so "genius" then why did YOU ask if it had NKT275s?

16. tonalvision

I did not even know that these things had different "flavors". Pretty much a noob when it comes to fuzz.
    I am not unhappy about owning this pedal, but I would have preferred the original.
    I did get a pretty good deal, so no worries

Echoplexi likes this.
  17. jm9239

jm9239 Supporting Member

I can understand a preference for NKT275s but the transistors you have are still excellent. The TI/UK (CV7003) is one of Analogman's favorite Sunface transistors. Plus, the germanium transistors on the Beano side all sound the same as long as the specs are in the right range, and anything Analogman uses would be.

analogmike likes this.
  18. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

They probably just had the NKT's put in another pedal (most likely a sunface) after deciding that they didn't use the beano boost enough to justify the size and then sold the sunlion to tonalvision. I should have been a private investigator.

turtleboy3 and analogmike like this.
  19. tonalvision

Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge. Apologies to OP for taking this off track.

20. Echoplexi

The good news is there’s no such thing as a bad Sunface/Lion! NKT275s are great, but not necessarily the best for everyone.

meowtorhead likes this.