New Gibby fingerboards and a potential problem

B. Howard

Silver Supporting Member
Just pulled a FB from a 2019 Gibby and found something interesting that will undoubtedly be problems down the road. They have some type of RFID tracker under the FB..... see pics.

Now the problem is this leaves a huge area under the first 3 frets completely unglued to the neck! About 40% loss of glue surface! Here you can see the afrea where there was no contact clearly in the glue.

When I was pulling this and got up toward the nut the FB just popped! without any heat!

I suspect we are going to be getting newer Gibbys in with odd buzzes and rattles... Bad harmonic overtones and wolf notes due to this...... So be ready!

chumbucket

Silver Supporting Member
I wonder if they're doing this on Custom Shop stuff? Take it to someone with an RFID scanner and see I'd they can glean any info off of this?

Last edited:

chumbucket

Silver Supporting Member
Is this just an anti-theft device for stores like GC? RFID tags are small.

DinoMikeSr

I don't see a problem with it. Not at all. Unless it's someone who doesn't have the same type of clamps Gibson used to secure their boards and system to dry the glue. Where the problem really lies is with the person doing the custom work. That person cannot transfer the strip nor take the data from the strip and apply it a new strip on the new fretboard. The owner will lose the security and the date from Gibson technology and so owners should be extremely selective about who they let do this type of work on their Gibson guitars.

larry1096

I don't see a problem with it. Not at all. Unless it's someone who doesn't have the same type of clamps Gibson used to secure their boards and system to dry the glue. Where the problem really lies is with the person doing the custom work. That person cannot transfer the strip nor take the data from the strip and apply it a new strip on the new fretboard. The owner will lose the security and the date from Gibson technology and so owners should be extremely selective about who they let do this type of work on their Gibson guitars.
What 'data' are they losing?

And if making a guitar more difficult to repair with industry-standard methods isn't an issue, how about the lack of contact between the fretboard and the neck? I'm not a super-purist ('hide glue, but only from BROWN horses!') kind of guy, but I'm assuming that will have a tonal impact. How about the loss of gluing surface in terms of long-term durability of the instrument?

This seems like a very odd place to put something, given the generally accepted importance of the fretboard and neck in the tone of the modern electric guitar.

Larry

frankencat

Guitarded
Silver Supporting Member
Gibson have been doing it this way for a while now. There is probably a better way to do it with regard to the glue surface - like putting the RFD sticker under the headstock lamination or somewhere of low significance.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
Now the problem is this leaves a huge area under the first 3 frets completely unglued to the neck! About 40% loss of glue surface! Here you can see the afrea where there was no contact clearly in the glue.

When I was pulling this and got up toward the nut the FB just popped! without any heat!
yeah, not cool! at the very least that sticker could have gone under the last few frets where there wouldn't be as many concerns about that kind of tonal stuff.

still, i'm more curious about the silver sharpie headstock binding :D

Last edited:

Trending Topics