New Gibson 2020 Les Paul Standard... Counter-sunk strap button?

SgtThump

Silver Supporting Member
Brought home a gorgeous new goldtop last night. Plays great, sounds great, everything is perfect on it, etc... I was really thinking this could be a keeper, then...

WTH is this? I can’t even tell what happened here. Strap button is sunk down into the wood. I believe it was drilled out a bit on purpose for this to fit like that. Im a big Gibson supporter. I am NOT one of those folks that loves to bash them. But WTH happened here? To me, it looks like a factory “fix” or something.

Anyone care to take a guess?

Damnit. Back it goes. Im not buying a $2,500 guitar with this.

EDIT - Several folks on here saying they’ve dropped a guitar perfectly on the strap pin and it looked the exact same as this new guitar. So now I’m pretty convinced someone at the local store dropped it and either shrugged it off or didn’t realize what happened. So yeah, I’m no longer thinking this made it out of the Gibson factory like this. I AM NOT a Gibson hater and have a long track record of sticking up for them. So yeah...”

Attachments

Last edited:

SgtThump

Silver Supporting Member
It also looks like there is a tiny strip of lighter colored mahogany between the two back pieces. Hard to describe, but the seam is a lighter color?

Attachments

SgtThump

Silver Supporting Member
It looks like they tightened the crap out of the strap button until it disappeared into the wood,
I thought that at first, but the lacquer would be all cracked around it. I think this was purposely drilled. the wood wouldn’t compress this much. Crazy and I just don’t get why anyone would do that? Especially the factory (possibly. )

marshall2553

Gold Supporting Member
I can’t imagine it would have been drilled like that at the factory. Can you feel that line on the body seam or is it really just a difference in color? I would bet that it took a hard enough hit in shipping to drive the strap button into the body and possibly cause the body to start splitting at the seam.

SgtThump

Silver Supporting Member
It could very well be shipping damage - guitar took a good enough hit on the bottom that it sent the button into the wood.
Maybe I’m completely wrong, but it’s a perfect circle and the wood and lacquer around it are (mostly) undamaged. I would expect to see lots more damage if it took a big hit in this area?

SgtThump

Silver Supporting Member
I can’t imagine it would have been drilled like that at the factory. Can you feel that line on the body seam or is it really just a difference in color? I would bet that it took a hard enough hit in shipping to drive the strap button into the body and possibly cause the body to start splitting at the seam.
You can’t feel the seam.

FlamesAreWicked

Silver Supporting Member
I had the same model but in a ‘19 and it wasn’t that way.. I don’t think it’s supposed to be that way..

Plus the screws are usually sitting flush.. looks like someone ran it down with an impact lol

dazco

That IS crazy. My guess is an employee screwed up (maybe drilled the first hole too far off) and somehow did that to try and cover up him ruining a almost completed high priced guitar. I can see that getting past QC.

Ejphotos

Maybe I’m completely wrong, but it’s a perfect circle and the wood and lacquer around it are (mostly) undamaged. I would expect to see lots more damage if it took a big hit in this area?
If it was a quick, strong impact, it wouldn't leave much surface damage - think of a hammer slamming the end of the pin, sinking it into the wood.
Either way, it shouldn't be like that.

budglo58

Silver Supporting Member
Objection sustained......now go play yer guitarz
I thought that at first, but the lacquer would be all cracked around it. I think this was purposely drilled. the wood wouldn’t compress this much. Crazy and I just don’t get why anyone would do that? Especially the factory (possibly. )
lit they used an impact tool , it would draw that fast enough that the lacquer wouldn’t crack. If it was shipping damage, the case would have been damaged too.

Trending Topics