New gibson 335s from CME question?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jzucker, Nov 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ixnay

ixnay Member

Something must be going on with UPS. I got the same message about some strings I ordered from MF and I've seen about a half dozen posts from other people that got that message.

joec63 likes this.
  2. sg13

sg13 Member

Lol they don’t care. They’re not running a charity. It’s a liquidation. Happy holidays!

3. Bertiman

Bertiman Member

I think they are just swamped and don't have the capacity...

joec63 likes this.
  4. pickdropper

pickdropper Supporting Member

Mine is already on the UPS truck waiting to be delivered, so I'm unfortunately past that point.

I can bring mine to a local tech next Wednesday, so it's cool. I was just curious if there was a process to check these out before shipping. Thanks for the info.

5. pickdropper

Ah yes, you did. Great summary. Thanks!

6. wmachine

wmachine Member

Me too, let us know your findings. I wonder if you can tell the difference in the glue...........without sniffing it.

7. modavis99

modavis99 Silver Supporting Member

I have a 63 reissue 335 new in 2014 and I just got a red “floor model” red 335 from 2017 but not a reissue. The 2017 has a more substantial neck; the bridge has titanium saddles as compared to nylon saddles in the RI; and the pickups are burstbuckers as compared to MHS in the RI. The weights on both were almost identical at just under 8 pounds.

The 2017 sounded so good I immediately changed the bridge on my RI to a Faber with titanium saddles

8. ChicagoMusicExchangeMatt

ChicagoMusicExchangeMatt Member

Exactly this. What you do with the guitar after you buy it is literally none of our business. We know for a fact that a ton of folks are buying these and flipping them and more power to them!!

sg13 likes this.
  9. pickdropper

It has landed. Gave it a quick run through the Tremoverb I keep at work. Quick impressions are that it sounds good, but definitely needs a setup (the neck currently has too much relief). I'll do a minor tweak and then bring it to the local setup guy on Wed (who's a friend of mine).

It's a really pretty guitar. The case is a bit funky, but seems to work OK.

[​IMG]

10. duaneallen

duaneallen Supporting Member

OK, got it in today. Seems to be a killer guitar! Sounds great and feels great. Gonna take it over to my tech to make sure I'm not missing anything, but it looks and feels fantastic to me. It's even a new 2017! If it checks out, its an amazing deal! I had a '63 reissue for a little bit, and actually like this one much more. If any of you are on the fence for a standard one, don't hesitate. These are a killer deal.

https://flic.kr/p/ZZoUmW

11. Papajuice

Papajuice Silver Supporting Member

A440 likes this.
  12. mjross

mjross Member

What’s funky about the case except for the fact that it does not have the Gibson logo, no Chubaca fuzz inside and has an extra latch I always forget is there. They are suppose to be a replica of the original “63” case. I’m kinda diggin mine!

13. pickdropper

It's just a bit different than what I'm used to. In this case, funky isn't bad, just different.

14. the29band

the29band Member

I have a standard and thinking about the 63. When you say you like this better, what exactly do you like more about this than the 63? Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  15. BK Verbs

BK Verbs Gold Supporting Member

I finally caved. These threads were literally keeping me up at night. :(:)

16. pickdropper

I have a standard and a 335 and I prefer the sixties cherry on the '63 and the neck profile. I think I prefer the pickups as well, but it's early (my '15 standard has Burstbuckers).

Interestingly, the older '63 reissues had thinner necks (as does my '15 standard). So part of it may be what year each model is from. But all of them are great in their own way, so personal preferences definitely come into play.

17. Telechamp

Telechamp Member

Don't wanna cave, don't wanna cave.... :confused:

"Resistance is futile".... As the Borg say...

Bertiman likes this.
  18. duaneallen

duaneallen Supporting Member

Well it’s hard to really say because my 63 actually had a warped neck, so I had to send it back. The short time that I spent with it though,gave me a good idea of how it sounds. They are great guitars of course, and they’re hard to go wrong with when you have a good one. I feel that the standard is more open and resonant sounding. I’ll bet that most of that has to do with the nylon saddles on the 63. Obviously, that’s an easy fix if you don’t like the nylon saddles. For some reason, the pickups sounded a little bit more compressed to me as well. In general, The standard has the block inlays that I love, and is $600 cheaper. To me, the main difference seems to be the VOS treatment. I know they use different glues between the two, but I don’t think I can hear the difference.

19. the29band

the29band Member

Thanks, that helps!

20. modavis99

modavis99 Silver Supporting Member

The tenon on my 2017 block inlay ES-335 is a long tenon and identical to my 63RI. I think Memphis made the switch to long tenon for its non historic 335s in 2015.

Picture here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/vOqtuTwD61yfTjqd2

Bertiman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.