New gibson 335s from CME question?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jzucker, Nov 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BK Verbs

BK Verbs Gold Supporting Member

Nice! How was the setup?
    My plain top light burst is scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

2. joec63

joec63 Supporting Member

Setup is spot on for me. Once the strings were stretched it plays sooo nice!

3. johnnytuinals

johnnytuinals Member

Have no clue if my guitar had a setup.
    But the strings were soooo very loose when I go it with cardboard under the strings....JT

4. ChicagoMusicExchangeMatt

ChicagoMusicExchangeMatt Member

A seller is always going to get more money for an item if they sell it privately, and we very explicitly let our customers know what they can expect to get if they sell it private. We generally buy things for 60-70% of what we can sell them for, totally depending on piece. If you are not in a rush and have the time to do so, selling your gear private pays off. All bias aside, I think we are pretty fair though with trades.

C-4 and Magnets And Melodies like this.
  5. Steve55

Steve55 Silver Supporting Member

Beautiful!
    Semper Fi - Steve

joec63 and Roger David like this.
  6. OiRogers

OiRogers Member

That is very commonly done by shippers... relieve neck tension to assist in preventing headstock breaks from UPS/FEDEX/USPS/Angry Gorilla handling incidents.

I started doing that with Gibson type guitars, habit now has me do it on every guitar I ship.

FWIW, my 335 from CME arrived the same way... I removed the bit of cardboard and bubblewrap from the headstock. Tuned it. Plugged in and went. It had been setup prior to being 'slacked' for shipping.

7. Mildwest

Mildwest Supporting Member

Telechamp, Laganlad, yeatzee and 10 others like this.
  8. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Are these what use to be called "seconds", and sometimes had 2nd stamped on the headstock? Those basically sold for about 50% of what a good one was going for. I bought an 80s 335 new like that. It was a great guitar, but these prices may not be all that great if thats the case.

9. joec63

joec63 Supporting Member

These are not Gibson 2nds and not marked in any way. I called to confirm before I purchased . Brand new guitars that they over produced.

TA22GT, modavis99 and Tag like this.
  10. jklotz

jklotz Supporting Member

A little birdie told me that the reason they all went out like this is because Gibson is closing the Memphis plant and the entire building has to be cleared out. I suspect the production will move to the main Nashville facility.

It makes sense - why on earth would you put a manufacturing facility on Beale St? That huge building smack in the middle of the tourist district had to have cost a small fortune! That was another one of Henry's hair brained ideas.

https://www.gearnews.com/gibson-selling-memphis-factory-bye-bye-beale-street/

No doubt they would have been trickled onto the market otherwise.

11. BK Verbs

I received my non-figured light burst 335 today. It’s brand new 2017 without a single flaw that I can find. Set-up was good, but I may (or may not) take it in to be tweaked a bit to my preferences. The neck is bigger than the standard “60s slim taper”, but not huge. I was really curious about the finish color since it looks different in every picture I see. It’s a little orange but safely out of clown burst territory. Has a sort of 70s vibe which is growing on me. I may look into a white or cream guard. My first experience with the Burstbuckers. I need more time with them to have any real opinion. Weight is around 7.8 pounds.

jklotz, Bertiman and joec63 like this.
  12. disconnector

disconnector Supporting Member

The ES-Les Paul Special is calling my name . . .

13. TheLastMaya

TheLastMaya Member

It arrived 4 days ago, man it sounds great and not a single scratch on it. At first I was a bit overwhelmed of how fat the neck is. After playing more and more, seems like I'm getting used to its fat neck. I wonder if any here started with thin slim necks and learned to love and prefer fatter necks. Seems like my hand is adjusting to it, does it happen? Here she is.
    [​IMG]IMG_0331 by Last Maya, on Flickr

14. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

I have one of those too, and also am struggling to adjust to the neck. I have it on the Emporium, but the more I play it, the more I like it. It's my first semi hollow, I bought it just to try one out...

TheLastMaya likes this.
  15. TheLastMaya

TheLastMaya Member

Yeah, seems like her quirks is growing on me. I'm liking it more and more.

16. Roger David

Roger David Supporting Member

I have a '58, just received a 63. Both necks are great...but different. Both sweet guitars!

17. TheLastMaya

TheLastMaya Member

Can you compare and contrast the two? I wonder if they differ in tone too since the 58 is different in construction with the 63. It has a more rounded mickey ears and fatter neck.

18. BK Verbs

Studio 335s just dropped to $850.

19. Mildwest

Mildwest Supporting Member

Incredible deal, just sent this to a friend.

20. Roger David

Roger David Supporting Member

The '58 may sound slightly thicker. It may have better tuning stability also, as I just picked it up after it being in its case for a day and it was in perfect tune... '58 neck seems a little harder for me to play, doesn't feel as quick. I think my style of playing will be different on each guitar.....both are great!
    The case that cam with the '63 seems to be generic, doesn't say Gibson on it. Its of OK quality, but not great IMO. The case that came with the '58 is like a vault. It is bigger and heavier, but great quality. I'd be curious to know if all of the '63 VOS's came with the black generic case....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.