New gibson 335s from CME question?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jzucker, Nov 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

I had done some sort of search yesterday on reverb that showed how many were left of each. They were all in the single digits.

2. pickdropper

pickdropper Supporting Member

Me too. I've bought a couple of things from Joel in the last few years and he's great to deal with.

3. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

The slot on the head locks the tailpiece into the stud and the hex turns the base of the stud in and out of the guitar. I would loosen the string tension, loosen the slotted head very slightly then turn the hex. I'd keep a very close eye on the slotted head- it's only held on by a few threads.

4. misterg71

misterg71 Supporting Member

I’m really surprised they’ve lasted as long as they have.

5. mjross

mjross Member

How did you do the search to reveal the numbers remaining?

6. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

I can’t remember. Wish I could figure out what I did to get that to show.

7. Benz2112

Benz2112 Member

What would be the proper tool for the slot, a flathead screwdriver? It is hard to believe there is no information about this on the web. Thanks for the help.

8. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

Benz2112 likes this.
  9. Benz2112

Benz2112 Member

10. WALL-E

WALL-E Member

Man so many nice guitars have made it into good hands.

Ziggy's 355 (I love 355s) and Yogi's Lucille (was hard to not bite on one of those) not to mention everybody else's fine new guits...

I'm waiting to open this...

[​IMG]20180103_151212 by garagebandking99, on Flickr

11. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

I have a tool that came with a Schaller bridge that I bought many years ago. It fits perfectly. I've used a (very) thick machinist's 6" ruler as well. Also, a coin might work.

Benz2112 likes this.
  12. Yogi_Sizzle

Yogi_Sizzle Member

oooo whats in the case?

13. ChicagoMusicExchangeMatt

ChicagoMusicExchangeMatt Member

Our pricing just changed a little on these so we can do $1600 shipped on these JMs, FYI.

14. WALL-E

WALL-E Member

Ta Da

[​IMG]20180103_175353 by garagebandking99, on Flickr

So far...the only flaws I can see are some dye on the nut...and some very faint thin black streaks on the binding in spots...can't really see it well and it may buff out...but who cares...otherwise its your standard ledge that the binding scraping sometimes creates etc. Otherwise fit and finish are very good.

The aging of the hardware is tasteful and the VOS finish is quite nice.

I can say...this one smells better than any Gibson I've had in my possession...sweeter...more vanilla-y...not that it matters...I've had some that were offensive smelling...

I very much enjoy the MHS pickups...there's a clucky woodiness to them. They handle clean/lo/high gain tones equally well. I'm pretty impressed. I love the 57 Classics in my 11 Trad (I find them hit/miss in other guitars)...and these are right up there.

Setup was very good and it stays in tune with the Bigsby well...even with what I assume to be older factory strings.

The blue 345 is due in tomorrow...and after that...I'm done...I'm pretty sure I'm done...though I don't have a 330...hmm

stilwel, Bertiman, morgan918 and 8 others like this.
  15. Telechamp

Telechamp Member

Oooh, that's nice...

16. hoyt54

hoyt54 Member

Got my ES-Les Paul from CME today! Spent about half hour playing with it before I had to stop but here are a few pictures. Set up feels great so far but I'm no expert -- need to fine-tune intonation maybe but doesn't seem to be way off. The bridge looked like it is up way high, is that normal? There's one picture close up of that. Worst thing is that the low E saddle is back completely, but we'll see if that's going to be an issue once I try to set intonation. Only flaw appears to be some finish on each side of the nut, no big deal at all. The binding, body, headstock, and neck all appear perfect to me! Really digging it and can't wait until I can spend more time with this one!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

morgan918, surfhard, bryan83 and 4 others like this.
  17. ZiggyStarrdust

ZiggyStarrdust Member

My dark natural 330 only pairs well with my 355... Not saying you should buy it or anything haha

In

18. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

The saddle can be removed and flipped the other way around if you need more travel.

Lower/raise bridges/taipieces (and even the truss rod) to get it to where you like. Gibson guitars do not come with the best set up straight out of the box. Even buy a guitar set up book if you don't know how. Gibsons are very easy to adjust.

b_goatman and hoyt54 like this.
  19. WALL-E

WALL-E Member

You're making a lotta sense...my wallet hates you

20. sg13

sg13 Member

Nice top, but personally that neck angle is way too steep from a tone/feel perspective, my es lp bridges are way lower than that. That has to be the highest bridge I've seen on one of these if you already have adjusted it to your preferred action.

Bertiman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.