New Gibson ES-335 on its way... :)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by No Code 5, Jun 17, 2005.

1. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

http://images.misupply.com/products/originalzoom/Gibson/43243.jpg

Pretty much half price. I had a $1,000 credit at an online dealer through some sort of online giveaway... so I decided to kick in the remainder and get a new 335.

I love the black color, very cool. Plus, it is the same finish and model as my old 335. I got rid of it in some gear transaction, but I always wanted another.

It is supposed to be here early next week. I can't wait to break it in. Hopefully, they send a good one. I am a little leary getting a guitar without playing it, but they have a 45 day return window. So, I can put it through its paces, and then determine if its a keeper.

Anyone have experience with the new Gibson semi-hollows? How is the quality lately?

I will have to break out some Chuck Berry riffs.

2. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I bought a 336 about 8 months ago and i am totally in love with it. the only problem that i have had with it is that the toggle switch is a little sensitive, the wires tend to get a little loose at first and even a little dirty. other than this what a great guitar, congrats on your buy!

3. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

Thanks, I looked at the 336 as well. In the end, I like the big size of the 335. I still remember the feeling of my old guitar reverberating against me while digging in for a lead. I was worried the smaller body wouldn't give that same level of musical feedback.

Plus, as a big guy, I like the big guitars. My acoustic is a J-200. Sometimes, smaller guitars look like a toy on me when playing with my band. :p

So, the fit and finish was all up to par with the 336?

4. Ron K

Ron K Member

Congrats -- 335s are timelessly cool.

5. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

You found me. It's nice to have our own discussions on the Message Pit. Notice, I don't use the PJ related name over there. I feel it would be overkill.

Thanks again.

The waiting drove me mad. :)

6. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

You'll love it. I have a '93 Dot reissue (sunburst) and vintage '67 (cherry). I love them both!!

7. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

It is supposed to arrive today... I hope the Fed Ex man is being nice to it.

8. jreardon

jreardon Member

I've had my 2000 model since 2001. Great player and absolutely no quality issues, it's perfect.

[​IMG]

9. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

I dig that finish... black binding and block inlays... very cool.

I keep checking out my windows to see if the FedEx truck has pulled up at the office... no luck yet. I guess it is in the afternoon delivery.

It's only 95 here in Houston for a high temperature today... that's good for a guitar isn't it?

10. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

Good thought... fortunately, small objects in a large heat sink, like a box in a large office, lose heat much more efficiently than they gain heat.

Damn it. I am talking like an engineer, I am not supposed to do that on the guitar page. :)

I give myself about 10 minutes of patience before I just open it up.

11. jreardon

jreardon Member

Luckily we don't have those sort of issues over here. Although, must admit it has been hot the last few days. Good luck with your new buy.

12. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

I bought a new 335 a few months ago. Best one I've owned so far, including my historic. Killer guitar.
    [​IMG]

13. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

Is that the light burst finish?

All these pictures are making me wish I had ordered a color other than black. Really beautiful guitars!

Maybe I will use that return option to get some flame headed my way.

14. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

True enough... you just made up for the "wait three days" buzz kill post. :)

I agree, I picked out the black. The stock photos of any guitar do not do it justice. You can't see the great details and shine that you see in person or in a good picture.

15. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

Yeah, he plays an LP.

16. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

It arrived...

First impressions...

There is not much of an Arch to the top. My '99 model had much more of an arched top and back... this has a very flat profile...

Also the neck is quite a bit different... not very fat at all, but wide. Almost like a new Gretsch neck, but not that skinny. Again, quite a bit different than my '99 which had a more rounded back.

The nut looks to be cut a little shallow for the heavier strings, otherwise all the construction and fit is very good. I am disapointed in the overall shape of it... not what I was hoping for.

The real test will be once I can plug it in. Details to come.

17. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

Yes indeedy. That's lightburst.

18. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

Great color! I'm jealous. I couldn't find one in blue when I bought mine, but that color looks the business.

19. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

What is the neck profile like on your guitar? Is it wide but thin? I am still suprised by this although I am sure it is just an adjustment from the Fender U shape on my tele...

20. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

It's the 60s slim taper profile. It doesn't feel especially wide to me for a Gibson...silmilar to most Gibsons I've played / owned. It's on the thin side.