New Gibson GA-42RVT

JohnCovach

I just got my regular email from Gibson and they are announcing the GA-42RVT.

I have not paid much attention to Gibson amps over the past few years, though it seems that they've been in a Vox-like mode. I have a British-made AC30 that is my main amp, but this Gibson amp has grabbed my interest.

So what's the story with these Gibson amps nowadays? Where are they made and what kind of reputation do they have?

re-animator

tried a ga20rvt a while back at low volumes and it was one of the nicest clean sounds i'd ever encountered. Would love to see how it does at other volumes.

Basic story is smallish amps, that are very inexpensive considering PTP wiring.

Shnook

Silver Supporting Member
Wow! I wasn't expecting to be so impressed by the soundclips. Hmmmmmmmmm

JohnCovach

I'm guessing this new amp is another try at an AC30 killer. But who makes these amps? And where? Britain, China?

re-animator

its 6l6... not really AC territory.

but WOW, those clips are sweet. I've tried the ga20rvt at low volumes and the cleans were pretty much the best i've ever heard.... i was a long-time fender player.

If the 15/7 watt version sounds as good (maybe even thicker due to 6v6) when cranked, its my next amp purchase.

Crazyquilt

The Fool
Gold Supporting Member
Of course, none of the online retailers have any info about them, and it seems almost as if this amp existed before, then was discontinued?

In any event -- I'd love to try one out. I'm looking for something in this general realm, and I like the price point (looks like $8-1200 street, unless it'll change from the past price.)

JohnCovach

I've read that these amps are now made in the USA. The Gibson site is not much more help than Musicians Friend--not much technical info or manual downloads, even on the GA20. I suppose the local GC will have one soon enough.:rolleyes:

re-animator

they used to do a ga30.

i'm just wondering why the 30 watt 6l6 version is $850 and the 15 watt 6v6 is $1000. Hopefully we could see a price drop on the ga20rvt.

stratotonedude

I rock the Trace Elliot Velocette which is basically a Gibson Goldtone. It sounds really good. And it didn't cost very much.

Crazyquilt

The Fool
Gold Supporting Member
...which means to expect a hefty price increase. Question is: Will it be worth it?

JohnCovach

You know, these amps are really hard to find--even for an experienced gear hound. I can understand a new model not being available right away, but it's not even listed anywhere. And those amps that are listed are mostly unavailable or back-ordered.

I don't want to prompt a Gibson feeding frenzy here, but this does seem like a strange way to sell amps--or to not sell them, in this case! I was interested in these amps, but trying to find out anything about them from one of the world's foremost companies in musical instruments has led me to just walk away for now.

Lucas S.

...which means to expect a hefty price increase. Question is: Will it be worth it?
I doubt there will be a price increase because the GA20RVT was also made in the US. Washington State to be exact, according to Gibson customer service.

Lucas S.

Dave B

Exit... Dual Stage Left
Gold Supporting Member
Of course, none of the online retailers have any info about them, and it seems almost as if this amp existed before, then was discontinued?
It was! About 2 1/2 years ago, there was both a 6L6 30W combo and head version, along with the GA20-RVT 1x12 combo, on Gibson's website. It appears over time only the GA20-RVT saw the light of day, though, and over the next year or so all references to the GA40-RVT (and Gibson Labs, Pyotr's involvement, etc.) disappeared off the Gibson website. At least until recently, the GA20 was still available through the online retailers (could have been in stores, too).

Dave B

Exit... Dual Stage Left
Gold Supporting Member
I'm guessing this new amp is another try at an AC30 killer......
I got mine sight unseen/unheard in a trade, hoping its 6V6 base would give me some nice warm Fender-y cleans, and I couldn't be happier with its basic BF/SF tones for quiet household up through small gig volumes. In a nutshell, it's base tones are a cross between a Deluxe Reverb and a Princeton Reverb, with those sweet 6V6s. There's no real Vox connection here, other than the stunning visuals.

jgirly

I Got One Of These ,from Zzsounds And After Much Research,
Was Hesitant Because The The Info I Could Find, Including On The Gibson Forum "sounds Great But There Are Problems" Mostly With
Qc. Mine Sounded Amazing!but There Was A Rattle. After A Little Inspect-trouble Shoot,i Found That The Chassis Mount Bolts Were All Loose.now, This Might Not Be Gibsons Fault Being As How It Got Bounced All The Way Across The U.s. From Nj To Colo.by U Pee Ass![it Is 68 Lbs.]and Although The The Huge Logo On The Box Says Gibson And Hand Built In Usa It Does Not Say Fragile. Well.lo And Behold! When I Went To Snug The Fourth Loose Bolt I Heard It Rattle Around Which Now Means Being A Basically Closed Back Cabinet, I Had To Take It Off To Find The Loose Bolt[the Same Would Have To Be Done For Tube Swap Replacement Etc.]well Lo And Behold! One Of The Power Tubes Is Broken[where The Glass Joins The Insert Pins So It Was Still Functional]but The Tubes Are Chinese And As Cheap As They Get
No Doubt A Cost Cutting Measure. Zzsounds Is Two Day Airing
Me A Fresh One As We Speak So They Have Been Great! The Quality
And Construct Of This Thing Is On Par With Any High End Hand Made Amp Out There!but Alas, I Fear That This Is The Reason This Model Has Gone From A 1500$ Amp To A 849$ Sale Price,because
Either Someone Was Real Stoned On A Friday, Or They Forgot To Charge They're Cordless Screwdriver Or The Design Just Can't Take The Road {which Is What I Use My Amps For] And The Living Room\studio Between Gigs.i'll Chime Back In When The Other Arrives But Based On What Ive Researched, This Is Common.[if It Does The Same Dance, Then I'll Probably Repair It Myself[who Wants To Wait 9 Weeks For Gibby To Fix And Then Bounce It Back In A Cardboard Box! These Things Should Come With A Flight Case! They're That Friggin Nice! Jgirly

Aslan

Gold Supporting Member
You can buy one one of the New Gibson GA42 amps at E. M. Shorts Guitars in Wichita, Ks for ~$600 (brand new). They had 3 of them as of yesterday, I buy alot of gear there, ask for Drew. (316) 684-6252

jgirly

Aslan, E.m.shorts Is Sending Me One As We Speak You Are A Cyber Friend Of The Highest Order. Thanks For Saving Me Money And Grief,hope This One Arrives Intact, I'll Let Youk Now...jgirly

Trending Topics