New Gibsons in Muscians friend...........

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by OldSchool, Jun 21, 2006.

1. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I just got the latest MF and gave it the appropiate spot in the can to read. I guess they have the pull becuase MF had a special little section just for Gibsons complete with Pics and BOTH list and retail prices. Most were so over priced I was almost offended reading them. The John Sykes signature..........A copy of a 77 Black custom with a horrible looking aged Black finish..........$7700!! :eek: I remember when you couldn't give away a late 70's black Les Paul.

The one thing I did see that was interesting though was a Swamp ash SG Special. I love natural Ash.........priced at $1099. So that means I could probably pick it up anywhere else (Daves if he was still a dealer:FM ) for around $899. I'll wait to see a nice used one for around $600. It would make a nice Slide guitar to keep around in an alternate tuning like G. [​IMG]

2. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

+1!

-Ben

3. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

Yeah, MF played the pied piper years ago and then turned around on the followers. My locals can almost always beat their "street" prices.

4. DualRectifier

DualRectifier Silver Supporting Member

When is this "List Price" crap ever going to end? Yea, we get it, list price is 3 grand, so 2 grand is a great deal. We are all now used to mathematically figuring out in our head what 66% of the price is whenever we see a list price.

No other retail industry does this. Only the musical instrument industry. I can shop for TVs, guns, sporting goods, furniture (well they kinda do it), cars, and pretty much any other big-ticket item and be able to comparison shop based on real list prices.

The Boss DS1 distortion pedal....list: $100. Every music store on earth: $39.95. MF/GC everyday price: $39.95. MF/GC price during every "super season blowout sale" for the past two years, spotlighting special price on the DS1: $39.95. Gimme a damn break.

5. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Marketing, Advertising, drama..........They want to be able to Print "SALE!! 33% everything in the store!!!!!! when actually it just means that the manufacture upped the price by a third so the dealer can discount you 33%............. [​IMG][​IMG]

6. whitehall

whitehall Member

Most americans are idiots-- and fat too-- they eat that stuff up, last one !! today only !! free with purchase !!!. The list is endless. As long as you have stupid people you'll have stupid marketing.

7. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

Remember they are after all....
    [​IMG]

8. xroads

xroads Member

I disagree on cars and retail list prices.
    I agree to your rant....

9. TonyV

TonyV Member

I never pay what the average customer pays, as a preferred GC customer I sometimes get, (so often I am embarrassed to say), passses to special, invitation only sales where only qualified customers like me get access to the super low discounts. They are usually offered to high quality cliental like me on special weekends so they really make it convenient. The invite must be presented to get in and the secret list of prices only available to elite consumers. I don’t want to rub it anyone’s face so I would be happy to offer my next exclusive invitation to any of the general public here who do not receive such elite offers.

10. jspax7

jspax7 Member

Yeah, but I really dig the GC ads. ;)

I guess they're trying to appeal to kids. (or, they think people are stupid. ... well, they might have something there....) "Mega Super Hero Spectacular Tsunami Special Deals." "Save up to 13,000%!" (I hate hype, especially when it's sooooo ridiculous.) I too, shop the few remaining local stores, most of whom are willing to meet or beat MF/GC.

11. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

LOL, you should go to Gibson Showcase in Nashville. EVERYTHING is tagged with the list price. They don't even show the retail price :puh

12. webe123

webe123 Member

(part of post deleted by admin)

As far as Gibson....I think they sold their local dealers down the river long ago. I am suprised that some dealers will still put up with their idiotic nonsense about inventory stock.

13. carltonh

carltonh Member

An attempt to alter mega-music-corp's advertizing methodology would be about as successful as trying to make WWE a serious sport without bad guys, growling, masks, chairs, and steroids.

14. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

I think you get on this VIP list when you buy your first set of strings at GC and provide a real address for their database :D

15. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

Here's what I do, I figure out what the thing is selling for elsewhere, and used, etc.

Then go to GC and offer 1/2 the asking price to the "salesperson", they come back with, sorry man, can't do that, it's xyz $ below our cost.

Then I mention that I saw it at somewhere between my crazy price and their asking price but lower than the MF catalog and e-stores, and they say, OK, man but we're losing money on this, but we'll do it this one time... they just want to move crap, they don't care about margins. they're a walmart mentality now. Pretty soon there will be self-checkout.

16. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

I just wish there was more small local shops by me. I admit I'm still a Gibson fan but I'll probably never buy a new one again. The used ones most GC's carry are way overpriced and look like a bunch of 5 year olds used it for a trampoline.

17. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I find my best used deals right her at TGP or at BAM. I trust most forum members as well and if I don't know you I ask for a refrence or 2 . I've never had a problem yet. [​IMG]

18. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    Well, except for the chairs, that sounds like baseball.
    I don't know if anyone takes it seriously anymore, but still.....
    :D

19. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

And I thought I was special..........[​IMG]

So can anybody guess what the deprieciation value of a $7700 John Sykes LP would be............:rolleyes: :crazy

20. phretbored

phretbored Member