New Gibsons Memphis ES-355 Studio's for $899

johnnytuinals

I really have NO clue if these are a great deal?
Wildwood guitars have these at $1599 so I guess its not a bad price.
Myself I would like to get one but I still have a Fender Strat Deluxe SSH and a Gibson Les Paul Peace That I have not used yet and getting dust on the cases.
I have read little on these guitars and have no idea if these guitars are worth it.
They do have 8 left so the salesman tells me and they are not display guitars.
Was going to pill the trigger last night but today I am having second thoughts.....JT

http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com...memphis-es-335-studio-ginger-burst-model-2015

Ejphotos

Silver Supporting Member
So I just played one a few days ago at my local GC, it was marked down to $1099. Felt pretty good, to me at least. I think $899 is a solid deal for it.

Telechamp

I really have NO clue if these are a great deal?
Wildwood guitars have these at $1599 so I guess its not a bad price.
Myself I would like to get one but I still have a Fender Strat Deluxe SSH and a Gibson Les Paul Peace That I have not used yet and getting dust on the cases.
I have read little on these guitars and have no idea if these guitars are worth it.
They do have 8 left so the salesman tells me and they are not display guitars.
Was going to pill the trigger last night but today I am having second thoughts.....JT

http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com...memphis-es-335-studio-ginger-burst-model-2015
Amazon has the same deal going on right now.

One thing I noticed - This model has only the two knobs, so I wonder if that is the reason for the price drop.. I think the 2016 models now have the regular four knobs, if I'm not mistaken..

If it is this model you are talking about: http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/Memphis/ES-335-Studio.aspx

Then they are really good guitars for the money, there is very little difference between them and the standard ES-335, and for US$899, that's amazing value for money, my favourite is the Ginger Burst, but the Wine Red looks very nice too. Not to mention that they come with a really nice hardcase, plus that cute photo of the guitar on the technicians work bench.

From memory the only difference between the studio and the standard 335 is that the studio has a maple neck, and a torrified maple fretboard, classic 57 pickups, and no pickguard, where as the standard 335 has a mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard, burstbuckers 1 and 2, and a pickguard. Plus the standard 335 is available in Sunburst and Heritage Cherry, while the studio is available in Ginger Burst and Wine Red.

So there is really not that much difference between them, in my opinion, I thought they are worth the money.

Nebakanezer

Amazon has the same deal going on right now.

One thing I noticed - This model has only the two knobs, so I wonder if that is the reason for the price drop.. I think the 2016 models now have the regular four knobs, if I'm not mistaken..
Somebody in another Gibson Thread mentioned that the Gibsons that Amazon is selling are from CME store. But buying from CME, you can pick between multiples of the same color.

johnnytuinals

Ok put NOGEARLEFTBEHIND in amazon
Code will not work
Then I guess Amazon will know I tried to put a code into their system and will resend
a REAL code?
I can wait since these guitars are not selling that fast lol..........JT

danhops

This was on on the CME website.
Ok put NOGEARLEFTBEHIND in amazon
Code will not work
Then I guess Amazon will know I tried to put a code into their system and will resend
a REAL code?
I can wait since these guitars are not selling that fast lol..........JT

Da Geezer

Silver Supporting Member
Somebody in another Gibson Thread mentioned that the Gibsons that Amazon is selling are from CME store. But buying from CME, you can pick between multiples of the same color.
Not sure what you mean.....I can only see one pictured on the CME site.
How do you see multiples (I'm thinking like Sweetwater, where you can see and choose the guitar you like best)?

Last edited:

sg13

Not sure what you mean.....I can only see one picture on the CME site.
How do you see multiples (I'm thinking like Sweetwater, where you can see and choose the guitar you like best)?
The are no individual pics for this model, only the more expensive ones.

qblue

If it is this model you are talking about: http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/Memphis/ES-335-Studio.aspx

Then they are really good guitars for the money, there is very little difference between them and the standard ES-335, and for US$899, that's amazing value for money, my favourite is the Ginger Burst, but the Wine Red looks very nice too. Not to mention that they come with a really nice hardcase, plus that cute photo of the guitar on the technicians work bench.

From memory the only difference between the studio and the standard 335 is that the studio has a maple neck, and a torrified maple fretboard, classic 57 pickups, and no pickguard, where as the standard 335 has a mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard, burstbuckers 1 and 2, and a pickguard. Plus the standard 335 is available in Sunburst and Heritage Cherry, while the studio is available in Ginger Burst and Wine Red.

So there is really not that much difference between them, in my opinion, I thought they are worth the money.
The absence of binding is the biggest difference, which is a time-intensive process to apply, which means decreased man-hours and a lot less money. The electronics have a single volume and tone controls, too. This will decrease tonal options in comparison to separate volume and tone controls, but not by much. While you don't need a pickguard, its absence saves you $$$. I have a torrefied maple fingerboard on a 2012 LP 60's Tribute and it is durable as rosewood. Pickups differences are a wash. This is a Epiphone made by Gibson.....

Last edited:
The absence of binding is the biggest difference, which is a time-intensive process to apply, which means decreased man-hours and a lot less money. The electronics have a single volume and tone controls, too. This will decrease tonal options in comparison to separate volume and tone controls, but not by much. While you don't need a pickguard, its absence saves you $$$. I have a torrefied maple fingerboard on a 2012 LP 60's Tribute and it is durable as rosewood. Pickups differences are a wash.
I never noticed the missing binding to be honest, and now that you have pointed it out, it sticks out like a sore thumb and makes the ES-335 studio look not quite right.

Da Geezer

Silver Supporting Member
I was ready to pull the trigger on the Gingerburst, just waiting for CME to get back to me with the final price (looks like it was going to be ~$810)....then I brought out my old ES-150DC loaded with 80's-era Duncan 59's....cured me of the GAS.
The ES-335 Studio simply could NOT sound or play any better than the guitar I already have :eek:

I'll report myself to the mods right away :oops:

qblue

The ES-347 I have in my avatar is nearly an ES-355 in look and binding. It was discontinued in 1991. It was last effort of Gibson trying to sell a cheaper ES-thinline, but the only difference was the substitution of a 3-piece maple-poplar-maple neck, for a 1 piece mahogany neck, the binding remains the same. It cost me $1500 in 1993, so this new model line is a no-frills approach.

Trending Topics