New Gibsons

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SlinkyMan, Jan 21, 2006.

1. SlinkyMan

SlinkyMan Member

Not sure how long they have been on the Gibson website, or if anybody here has seen them, but here they are- http://www.gibson.com/Products/GibsonElectric/Gibson%20Electric%20Guitars/Vegas/Vegas%20Standard/
    That's the new 'Vegas' model, but also check out the new 'Goddess' series Les Paul's and SG's, and the 'New Century' model's.
    IMO, (aside from the Vegas) they are some of the most terrible looking guitars I've seen in a while. What do you guys think? Oh, and the 'Menace' :jo.

2. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

There is nothing in their new offerings that will last more than a year or so. Really some bad ideas. No wonder all they sell are Les Pauls , SG's and 335's. Companies like Hamer and PRS must be laughing at these new releases.

3. kselbee

kselbee Member

4. stephenT

stephenT Supporting Member

I read in a NAMM report that THIS year you must have a special invite from Gibson or YOU CAN'T GET IN THE BOOTH, no lookee.

You're turned away at the door!

Gotta love that Henry,..those great ideas keep coming.

5. rooster

rooster Member

Isn't that a Trini Lopez model?rooster.

6. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I hope Minarik gives Gibson a taste of their own litigious medicine over their theft of that name.

[​IMG]

7. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

That 'Vegas' is one yucky looking guitar. The new sissy-boy LPs may catch on though...especially if they're aiming them at a younger market.

8. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Vegas is a perfect name for a new Gibson...........what are the odds that it will play well and be a decent guitar? Total crapshoot IMO...............:cool:

9. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

Looks like they found how to "mod" all the gothic LP's they didn't sell. Nothing new here, old and tired. How about this: "This year at Gibson instead of introducing new failures, we are going to make our existing lines meet rigid and consistent quality standards".

10. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I would love to see some young geek stand up at a board meeting and sat that one day. :D

Reminds me of back when Steve Martin was on SNL. Remember the skit where he was a medevil Doctor? He would rant about the current practices and about what Medical science could become then he justs says........NAH!

11. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Those triangular inlays are awful. I wish they'd quit that.

I also like the epiphone 175 which is nothing like a 175 in terms of materials, shape. It's like they made a different guitar but some marketing guy determined it looked a little like a 175 so maybe we could call it that?!?

12. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I'm actually gonna play devils advocate here for a second.........On this front Gibson is screwed if they do or don't. Look at the New Tom Anderson "Atom". To me that is one of the ugliest guitars I have seen to date especially coming from a company that makes serious eye candy. But people had no problem with Tom offering a new Idea becuase the company is pretty much a custom guitar maker. They can try new things without offending.

Gibson does not have that luxury without throwing a famous players name on it and calling it a signature instrument. I actually applaud Gibson for trying something new..........too bad all their valued dealers that would have taken the time to sit down with people and expose them to the instrument are now gone. Its just a Picture in a catalogue now of some Huge cold completely humanless selling merchandise machine.

Live by the sword and die by it I guess............

13. jsmith45

jsmith45 Member

That looks like a "recreation" of the goofy-looking Trini Lopez styling. I don't like it a bit.

14. ABKB

ABKB Member

I agree, looks like a mod of the Trini Lopez, which I was never fond of anyway. But David Grohl seems to love em, so YMMV.

15. Lestercollector

Lestercollector Supporting Member

Gibson owns Kramer... I'm sure you know this already, but maybe they sell the stupid looking guitars to Korea...? I hope they are as pissed off as we are about the new so-called Management at Gibson...:cool:

16. LTE

LTE Member

That's how it was last year too. I went to go talk to a rep I know (he used to be the rep for GA but took another territory) about what's going on with my store and Gibson. They stopped me at the door and told me I couldn't go in.

I told them that I was a dealer and he asked who was my rep. I told that I didn't have one anymore cause Gibson couldn't hold onto a rep for longer than 9 months.

In the end, I got in but they were real pricks about it.

17. conrad

conrad Member

For Gibson and some others , NAMM is like Paris or Milan for fashion designers : next year nobody will tall about those models.

18. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Do I have to?

I have heard from some people that they sound pretty good.

Gonna hang with my Cobras, Ts, and such.

19. Gaz

Gaz Member

I had a "retail employee" badge and got in...nothing new to see, so, they must think making it exclusive would spark some interest. It's no bigger than the Gibson tour bus in the parking lot...

20. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I hear ya.........It has to sound and play great. Its an Anderson! But it sure is Fugly............:jo