New Glaswerks clips, OD tone on clean channel...dynamics....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lv, Jan 13, 2008.

1. lv

lv Supporting Member

More fun with the Glaswerks....

Wanted to see how much gain I could get out of the clean channel...gain is maxed, feedback off, mid boost and stack bypass on. Used a Les Paul and all the clean to overdrive tones were achieved by altering pick attack only.

Gary or Scott if you're reading...is there any way to adjust the gain of the clean channel? Also, is there a pedal out there similar to the FET input that some Dumbles have?

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6165552

Here's another, lead channel, mostly LP bridge (at some point I switch to the neck, you'll know exactly when:)). Backing track courtesy of Texsunburst59.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6165561

2. TRW

TRW Member

I've been enjoying your clips lately Lou - thanks.

I'm also interested in any FET boost pedal - IIRC the Dumble is a simple, single NTE452 FET input stage...but I may be wrong haven't looked at the schematics for a while.

If anyone knows of any really nice FET boosters to push up preamp overdrive let us know!

There will be a new pedal coming out (not sure of the manufacturers name but I have emailed with the designer). It uses two FET opamps (no clipping diodes) to provide clean boost and FET amp OD. Simple bass and treble cuts are there to shape the tone.

Might be worth a look when it comes out, I'm going to try one.
    Here's a pic of the pedal posted on GS:
    [​IMG]

It's not based on a Dumble but the designer said he could nail some Two-Rock type lead tones from it.

-T

3. TRW

TRW Member

BTW that feedback is cool - how loud is that? I thought your clean clips were really good FWIW.

Thanks a lot.

4. lv

lv Supporting Member

Thanks man. The feedback clip was pretty loud, but not painful.

Any reason an FET boost is better than a regular clean boost? (which I assume most are not FET?)

5. TRW

TRW Member

I thought so - it sounds loud in the clip...

Well the dumble boost is FET so I figure if you are going after that vibe it's best to try and find something FET or more specifically JFET related.

They make sense in guitar circuits with their high input impedance and possible greater RF immunity. They can also produce different harmonic content when pushed compared to BJTs which some people claim to sound more 'tube-like'...whether you belive that or not is a different story.

It's worth trying with any clean boost (there must be some FET boosts out there, loads are opamp based), but the Dumble is JFET buffer on the input. I had a look at the schematic on the web but it seems there must be a few versions 'cos some have variable FET gain and that one didn't seem to.

The Ethos is done in all JFETs to get closer to the Dumble or at least amp-like vibe...but I think thats overkill for myself.

With an amp like the Glaswerks or even my BV, a little FET boost in front may get the preamp tubes screaming harder if going for that 'D with FET' thing.

Thanks T

6. lv

lv Supporting Member

Thanks for the info T. I've got an Ethos on order, will be interesting to compare to the Glaswerks.

7. TRW

TRW Member

Hmm cool! I imagine you'll do some clips! LOL

I would likely get an Ethos if he ditched the clean channel and did OD/Boost.

Tom

8. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

I would be interest in hearing about the pedal too.
    Great clips lv!