New GNR tune out

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ramblin390, Oct 22, 2008.

1. onestop

onestop Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for posting and now I DEFINITELY know what I won't be buying this year :D

2. Isaiah4Autumn

Isaiah4Autumn Member

+1 here here

3. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller Supporting Member

I'm just glad that Axl is actually releasing some music. That's the first step in potentially reuniting the original line up.

4. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

While I'm shocked that the official Axel Rose G'n'R cover band has finally released something, but where is the part in the story that has to do with guitar effects pedals?

I think you may have HC'd this thread into the wrong location. Guys in the Sound Hound Lounge would definitely be interested in this thread.

5. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Member

I haven't heard guitar-playing that obnoxious in a long time. I bet this record will sell a billion copies, though.

6. Thames

Thames Member

I saw their show last year during their promo tour... that was a nice show. Axl was definitely and totally in control of his voice. Me and my wife were big GNR fans at the time... Slash was definitely missing. The original band wasnt that great live at the time, but it was a solid performance last year.

Richard Fortus, along with Dizzy Reed and Tommy Stinson, were the 3 musicians that really fitted the bill last year, Bumblefoot and Robin Finck were like "what the hell are we doin here ?"

7. TJSmitty

TJSmitty Member

Just for the record, Ron Thal (aka Bumblefoot), quite probably the most creative shredder of this era, did rhythm guitars for that track (Buckethead is on leads). Mad respect. The man also has one great sense of humor, and is a blast to be around. I'm looking forward to the new GnR just to see what Axl allows Ron to bring to the table, because thusfar Thal has never dissapointed, and just about the only man who could stifle him would be Axl.

Here's a video of him hanging out with some friends at home... skip to about 1:00 or 1:30 and his personality really kicks in... this video is filled with his great licks and tasteful phrasing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y93cRIAj0gk

8. iggs

iggs Member

:barf

... OK ... I feel much better now ...

9. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

10. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

Huge Appetite for Destruction fan.... I saw them at the beginning of the Appetite tour before they hit big time. They were playing the Lost Horizon in Syracuse and I'm sure there were no more that 100 people there. They rocked and I was hooked... This stuff on You Tube is terrible... The scream at the beginning sounds like a sample from Welcome to the Jungle. Slash was so much of that band. He's also become a caricature of himself. I’m not a fan of Velvet Revolver either.

11. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

While I love Thal, I think that title (most creative shredder of this era) may swing toward Mattias IA Eklundh. Check out some of his solo work (and Freak Kitchen) on his albums, "Freak Guitar" and "The Road Less Traveled". The gypsy jazz version of "Detroit Rock City" makes me smile every time. 2 great albums that I've had for years now and they never get old.

Anyway, I love Ron Thal (from Adventures of Bumblefoot on), but he doesn't seem to gel as well with the G-n-R ethos. Great on his own though. Love this song and video off of 'Normal'! Played that CD to death when it came out. Some of his more accessible work on that disc.

"Real":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWGKzgUCNzs

-Ben

12. iggs

iggs Member

OK ... I fail to see the correlation between:
    a) me not liking any of the new stuff I heard so far
    b) other people showing up to see him in concert posing as GNR

So ... I guess I should absolutely LOVE Jonas Brothers then:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZPsGJppfYg

p.s. I was a huge GNR fan "back in the day".

p.p.s. not quite the same of course, but still some fans I guess ... :D
    [​IMG]

13. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

You said all that with a Vomit Icon???:)
    Must be a generation gap or something ;)
    I was a fan as well.Hard to believe Axl and GnR have sold almost 90million albums.. Take care

14. iggs

iggs Member

I don't find it hard to believe at all ... GNR was an amazing band, Appetite is one of the greatest records ever made. However, all new Axl stuff only serves to show who really wrote songs in that band.

15. JohnnyGtar

JohnnyGtar Member

I love the new stuff. Period.

16. GTRICH

GTRICH Member

I heard the "un-released stuff" and thought it was excellent.
    Axl hits higher notes than Triumph used to do back in the day. His vocals are also higher than Rush and Queensryche combined. I would like to see him pull it off live without AutoTune.

I have high hopes for this album. It has been a long time coming....

17. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

I think that it sounds like a harder continuation of UYI. That said, hearing it on the radio, they set a new loudness record.

18. Strat

Strat Member

19. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member