New Goodsell Amp in the works

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Doodad, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Doodad

Doodad Member

Heard this the other day and confirmed it. Only one prototype at the moment and I have not heard it yet, but the sound reports I got from the first demo were enthusiastic. Code Name: Black Dog. Richard sent the specs and I am awaiting pictures. :dude I heard it is LOUD

Specs: 50w, 2ch, vol/tone & vol/bass/mid/treb (staying with 6 knobs).
    2x EL34 (a first for Goodsell) clean channel has the same pre-amp as the S17/33, lead channel has full tone stack (another first) and a new post-tone gain stage.
    black knobs, face, tolex, & grill trimmed w/ white piping and white "Goodsell" logo.

Prototype is a 212 combo, but head should prove to be the most popular version. Contemplating a single-channel version for the combo w/ reverb.

Sound: thick, gainy (on the lead side), and HUGE.

2. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

Hmmmm...Betcha he uses his Greenbacks.....
    BZT

3. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

Hmm...

Got me curious...

I was wanting to get a Mk3 pretty soon.

4. magnus02

magnus02 Member

Hell yes... ive just been looking for a el34 based amp and considering i own a super 17 and a super7 im pretty confident this might be something worth looking into. want to give any more details richard or are we gonna have to wait?

5. Doodad

Doodad Member

This one was loaded with the yellow labeled speakers of his. RGH?

6. Jatmosphere

Jatmosphere Supporting Member

WOW... that sounds awesome! Can't wait to hear that one?! My only wish would be a 25/50 - 1/2 power/full power switch to tame it for smaller clubs/stages if that would be possible? ...just putting it out there... or perhaps the master volume would just work beyond killer?!
    The RGH's seem like the right call, especially if it's a semi open back cab? Or perhaps one of each? :banana
    An EL34 based amp created by RG could only be... the Shite! Richard, rock on w/ your bad self!! :dude

ps - thanks again for the new tubes! My Super 17 has never sounded better!

7. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I know nearly everyone has to make a 50 - 100 watt amp. I've played everything from a full stage large bar to a smaller club with a tile floor and I've never been above 6/10 on my volume level.

Has anyone not been able to keep up with their Super 17?

8. Jatmosphere

Richard, wondering if you could chime in w/ some more info on this "Black Dog" mystery amp?

ps - Badass, rarely does my S17 master go past 10 o'clock w/ pedals plugged in.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  9. RichardGoodsell

RichardGoodsell Member

The Black Dog does exist, and it is BY FAR the loudest amp I have EVER attempted to build. By far. It is the first time I have ever felt the need for hearing protection outside of a gun range, and I have been around a lot of loud s#!t.

Loud is good, but not the whole point. I wanted to see if the EL84 17/33 minimalist design philosophy would translate to the '34s, and apparently it does. The Black Dog is about what's left off.

I started with the Mk2/33 chassis, meaning I'd only have the same 6 knob holes to work with, and that's on a 2-channel front end! Staying inside my in-house parts bin, I selected the OT from the 33. Turns out that 2x34s wants to see the same turns ratio as 4x84s. Using a chassis punch, I made two of the socket holes bigger, and proceeded to lay it out as though it were a (much larger) S17. Same phase inverter. Same pre on the clean side. The second (lead) channel has a S17-type gain stage both before and after the two-knob tone stack. That's the side that sent me running for foam ear inserts. Like the 17 there is no negative feedback loop and no choke in the power supply. The rectifier is solid-state. The PT is from a JCM 800, as 34s take WAY more current than 84s - even the filaments of 2 34s draw more current than 4 84s. Plate voltage on the proto is 450v, and I like it.

The prototype is a 212 combo, both speakers the surprisingly adaptable yellow RGHs (think 70th Anniv. G12H). The six knobs, from left to right are: vol/tone (ch1) vol/bass/treble (ch2) and master. Serial #0002 will probably lose the master to make room for a mid. Ch1 may get an EF86 because it can't begin to keep up with the lead side, and I'd be the only one in the neighborhood. It wll most certainly be a head.

Subsequent 212 combos will probably be single channel and have reverb.

Physically, the theme is black, black, and black, with white piping and Goodsell logo. Matching 4x12 cabs have already been ordered. Advertising will feature a new girl, probably tatoos, and a Labrador Retriever.

Any input out there? This is new territory for a gentleman builder...

master or not?
    mids?
    2ch (externally switched) or one with an extra gain stage?

Let me hear from you.

-RG

10. fattroot

fattroot Member

I played this amp at a gig last Saturday night and it had killer tone. I was impressed with the Marshallesque growl on the lead channel. I did have to crank the clean side to balance the two channels when switching. I am usually not fond of the combo speaker sound but this one sounded awesome. Plenty of bottom end. I had it up against a wall which may have helped. Thanks to Rich for bringing it out!

11. rastaman

rastaman Member

Sounds very interesting. I like 2 channels externally switched and a Master.

12. Doodad

Doodad Member

Thanks for chiming in Richard. I would love to try it out. Any chance of a 1 x 12 for those interested? A hi-gain type Goodsell interests me as I am looking at hi gain options.

Now where could we find a black Lab? Hmmm. Paging RKHIII.

13. Jatmosphere

very cool!

ahhh, :stir details, details...

in head form: one more knob on the back so you can have both the mid & master controls?

... extra gain stage...?!

external &/or chassis switchable.

1/2 power switch - perhaps?

2 speaker jacks.

grill cloth - preferably not black.

hold the verb.

cheers! :drink

14. kdp86

kdp86 Member

Master would be great, 50 watts non MV is too damn loud. It would keep my from even thinking about buying it, but that's just me.

15. RichardGoodsell

RichardGoodsell Member

Personally, I'm too polite to buy this amp myself...

That's why I make a 2/7w and a 5/17w... though I do like my MV; it is a different topology than the old MV Marshalls, and the regular MV vs. no MV debate doesn't apply in this case.

The head will have (as does the combo) 2 speaker jacks, with an 8/16 ohm switch.

Rear-mounted master is a possible solution...

RG

16. RichardGoodsell

RichardGoodsell Member

John, dude... a Black Dog without a black grill? Unthinkable... fattroot is working on a picture from the other night... hopefully he can get it up here for your viewing pleasure...

RG

17. Wayne

Wayne Member

I've owned a 2 x 10 Mark 2 for about 3 months and it is a brilliant amp. The Black Dog wouldn't interest me though because of too much power and no reverb. I don't buy amps without reverb and I don't want a LOUD amp. Glad to see you're experimenting though. I'm sure it'll be perfect for some folks.

Wayne

18. Jatmosphere

what was I thinking...??? ahh... for the combo perhaps?

yes, absolutely... head needs black grill for sure! :RoCkIn

19. fugot

fugot Member

i gotta hang out in this section more.

el34's with a goodsell logo... must go play super 17 and forget i just read this thread...

20. Jatmosphere

looking forward to the picture!