New Gries amp

Discussion in 'Builder's & Retailer's Forum' started by Gries Amps, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Gries Amps

Gries Amps Supporting Member

With the success of the Gries 5 I began to wonder if I could build an even more affordable head-only hand wired amp that would sound great with a variety of speaker cabs. I looked at the 5F1 circuit amps that were built from ’56 to ’64 due to their popularity but realized there was room for improvement. This amp had to have the same level of components and construction as the rest of the Gries line. The originals are great amps, however, I wanted something better suited to today’s player. After a lot of R&D, trying various components to find what worked and what didn’t, I’ve come up with a simple amp that is surprisingly versatile.

The new Gries Minnow has the following features:

Mercury Magnetics transformers

Hand wired turret board construction

Powered by a single 6V6 with a 5AR4 rectifier and 12AX7 pre amp tube

A simple circuit with no EQ that puts the tone in your hands

Volume and Master Volume controls

Much larger output transformer than a stock 5F1 for improved tone & efficiency

8 ohm output transformer that will handle any cab from 4 to 16 ohms

Available only as a head. Everyone knows a quality built cab with the right speaker(s) has a great impact on the overall tone of an amp rig; 1x12, 2x12, 4x12, 1x10, 2x10, 4x10 will all work with the Minnow. Run the cab you prefer, or call us for a matching, finger-jointed, solid pine cab.

The Minnow will be ready to go late February at a shipped cost of just…..$549.00!

Contact one of our dealers or visit our web site.

2. Twin63

Twin63 Member

Sounds like another winner Dave. I bet it would look really nice sitting next to my Gries 5...........guess I better start working some overtime!

3. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

oh

my

that sounds (pun probably intended) like something I'd be verrrrrry interested in. A big iron tweed champ with volume and master. and you chose you own speaker. Pure genius.

This may be just what I needed to give me incentive to get an enclosure for my JBL D130F.

4. catherinef

catherinef Member

Sounds Killer, Dave, Can't wait!

5. gep

gep Supporting Member

I had a chance to try the Minnow prototype. Tried it with a few different cabs. What a great sounding amp. I can see it being used in many different situations. It amazes me how loud these amps can get.

GEP

6. ironmace7

ironmace7 Member

Sounds great. What are the tonal differences vs. the 5 head?

7. dbx

dbx Member

a 3 hour tour... ;)

Good luck with the new one Dave, if it's like the 5, you'll have another winner on your hands...(I'm a MaryAnn fan myself...)

8. Gries Amps

It's similar to the 5 with the Gain up full. Let me spend some more time with the two of them & I'll report back.

9. lchyi

lchyi Member

Wow Dave that sounds like a killer deal. Keep us updated!

10. cubado

cubado Member

sweet ...

LOVE my Gries ...

and local to boot !

11. mainsale

mainsale Member

Sounds very interesting to me. Any chance of a tweed cabinet for it to match a single 15" tweed cabinet that I have?

12. Gries Amps

Sorry, no. It will be available in black, blonde, red, green, or blue tolex for now.
    I spent some time with the two amps today. Turning the Gain up in the 5 lifts the tone stack out of the circuit. With that setting, the two amps sound very similar. Voltages in the Minnow are lower. It sounds slightly darker and breaks up slightly earlier than the 5. The key word here is "slightly". Bringing the Gain down adds the tone stack back in so the 5 can get a more blackface type of clean where the Minnow stays in the tweed camp.

13. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

Sounds like another winner, Dave!! I will definitely tell everyone I can about this new amp! So, this will be much more of a tweedy beast...it sounds intriguing as all the Gries amps I have heard were definitely in the blackface camp (with the exception of that cool trick with the Gries 5 where you can go tweed by dialing up the gain)...so this will have tweedy cleans? It sounds great and certainly a really reasonable price as usual!

I can't wait to hear more about this amp!

14. Joses

Joses Member

Wow, a Gries take on a tweed...sounds awesome Dave!! :D

15. cubado

cubado Member

I am in ...

now what color tolex? Hmmm...

What are the grille cloth choices ?

16. STORM

STORM Silver Supporting Member

Awesome Dave! I Cant Wait To Check The Minnow Out Over At Alpha Audio In Mystic, CT. Also Cant Wait To See Whats Next After That!

Looks Like Another Gries Amp For Me In Red!

Cheers!:beer

17. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Wow! I guess I need to hang in the manufacturer's area more often.

This amp looks perfect for recording & small gigs. :AOK

18. Gries Amps

19. turtleheadblues

turtleheadblues Senior Member

WOW those great Dave ! thanks so much for honoring us with the dealerlship. I cant decide what color to order. Hmmmmm.

20. turtleheadblues

turtleheadblues Senior Member

Should also mention that we are now taking orders on the new Gries Minnow. At this point you can get in early and pick tolex color!

And with every amp sale a portion of the proceeds will go directly to Bob Sweet.